Steam summer sale is live

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I hear D4 is on track for 2020 so that'll be interesting to see what direction they go with considering the mixed reception to D3.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've heard that Hearthstone has lost a lot of traction, same with Overwatch and WoW is facing all time low subscriber count. Not sure how true this is but this is the current buzz.

I'm wondering if releasing content for their current games really helps the cash flow? If D4 is still far away they've really got nothing at the moment.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can only speak of what little I see as a gamer of HS and OW, and follower of pros of those games on twitter:
    It's declining... the pro format of HS is crap, there's even a petition online to go back to how it was just last year. Pro gamers or switching games, streamers as well, most notably towards TFT (auto battler...) and MTG online. The game itself isn't as fun as it used to be due to bad game / card design choices, but that might be 100% subjective. For new players this might not be a thing but honestly, who's joining HS now? 10 year olds?
    As with OW they're making progress on the league, but honestly, the game itself is getting bland by now. I can't see how they're still making money with it besides the league, and they're trying to sell the 15$ season pass for extended twitch coverage and spectate functions. Not sure how this goes, but as for OW itself, it's lost most of it's appeal to me.

But back to topic: Thanks @sverek for picking Team Corgi, I saw you were there and joined as well, and even with little playtime and no purchases on my side, it looks like at least due to your choice I'll get a chance at the free games from the wishlist. Cheers!

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Cheers!
    Yeah, I jumped on Corgi bandwagon, since it was way ahead at the start. Switched teams a few days after.

To be honest, I am not sure what is going on with this event. I never got points for the quests of games I played.
    Some people mentioned point limit or something, I just got confused.
    The stability of the Steam/event is horrible and I am overall disappointed with the quality of it. Not feeling like participating in it anymore. Don't even care to get $5 off coupon, too much trouble over it.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah I feel you! That event's even worth than the games they had before due to it's complicated nature for... nothing.

Playing games you get points which you first have to claim!
    How many points a day you can clame is limited unless you do 4 tasks to ugrade your number of claimable points...
    With those points you can boost your team
    And after boosting, you can choose a pitstop to get the discount or up your badge, or spend ridiculous 1000 points on a background you don't even need or emotes that just mess up your steam inventory like Lunar New Year's Sale's...

So all in all, if you don't buy a game during the sale, you're just in to feed steam statistics more and hope to be one of the few people to get a discount... with all the people having a steam account worldwide, chances are worse than in my country's national lottery, statistically speaking. But entry is free so why not... but I find it hilarious how they limit it to "a winning team"... they could just afford to give a free discount to everybody, and maybe even a free game to everybody.

But EGS and exclusives besides... steam's on it's decline on their own, nothing new coming from them (I doubt they know how to monetize stuff like DOTA Underlords without losing the hype / players), and their sales are just getting less and less attractive... usually key sellers still sell you games cheaper or as cheap as during sales, which takes the use of them out of it. I'm personally just entering for a chance at free games, and everything else is still too expensive for me. Steam themselves made me take up the principle to not buy unless at least 60% discounted... so there you have it, 50% discounts aren't interesting anymore. GJ steam! :D

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yeah, I could claim points for playing/getting achievements in games that I done. However, I didn't got any quests completed for TF2, even though I won casual match, official bots match, etc...

Anyway, I guess I am getting too old/dump/lazy to chase after steam event rules.
    I just want to play games, have fun and get something for it, and it just feels bad when it says do this to get this and you don't get it.

As far as others having fun, that's fine.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    @fantaskarsef @sverek

you get points for any Steam game achievements too and actually quite nicely, seems to be multiple hundred points per achievement or thereabouts.
    The max is determined by something-something but you can increase it by either completing those tasks or, surprise, buying games during sale. 1 € = 121 more max points.

Also a team Corgi member here. Chances of winning anything are pretty low though I guess.
    But random 1000 members of overall winning team are also awarded wishlist games, in addition to 300, 200 or 100 members of no1, 2 and 3 daily placing teams.

Remember you must contribute points (boost your team) to be eligible for winning games.

Simple, really... :confused:

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Nice

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah I honestly didn't play any of the named games but just started a second playthrough of Vampyr, didn't even get any new achievements for that matter, and still can contribute. Every day I game I add some to the team score. Feels more like a login reward than anything else. Like you said, simple.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    ok, I think my head finally got it. I have shitload of earned points (41124) for KF2 alone, but I am unable to use them cause of the limit. To raise the limit I have to buy from steam.

That's pretty nasty Mr.Gaben.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yep, Hearthstone is dropping off, same with Overwatch. Let me rephrase, Blizz is going through a bit of a rough patch right now, but in less than 2 months, we'll have Classic and that will bring a lot of people back. Also, like I said, Overwatch 2 and D4 are being worked on and we'll have WC3 remaster. So the future is exciting, if they nail these games.

Aaanyway, anyone bought something decent in this sale?

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I bought a yard trimmer that's quite decent...

Hehehe!

0blivious and metagamer like this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still holding off on buying stuff, but I have Doom (2016),HellBlade,Nioh, Shadow of Mordor sitting in the cart

Vice City is to date the only GTA game I actual finished it the only one that had story I liked.
    I like the over head GTA much more, but that was different era, it was about the gameplay and not about the graphics and story

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Celeste, The Surge and Blood :)

17. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    lol didnt buy anything this time.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Ha yeah, they were something else. I actually started making a map for the first game, but I never finished it. All I remember is I had one mission and a working tram. Sadly I lost the files many years ago.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I'm in that group too.. saw the lead. Then fallen behind.. it's going back and forth..

I tried tf2 a little and dunno but somehow I managed to get 3000points.. it then said you reached your daily score limit. That was it... xD

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I've been playing WRC 4 so this is a nice upgrade.

Stone Gargoyle likes this.