June Steam Hardware Survey: Nvidia, Intel and Windows 10 continue to grow

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Steam hardware Survey... :)

airbud7 likes this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AKA: pre-built PC survey :D

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It depends. I would take it by region. That may show some more interesting data. But it still remains that headline can be read as :
    AMD continues to shrink in gaming PCs.

And that's believable even while we know very well how unreliable steam survey can be. And that internet cafes may purchase much older HW and conceal actual trend changes done by newly released HW.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Wouldn't laptops play a big role there? Intel still dominates those even more than the desktop scene.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    That's a good point and most notepcs got Intel in em. Shame Steam survey doesn't tell the percentage of notepc and desktop pc.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Steam survey is botched since it's opt-in basically (which is good), but you'll never know how many did not do that.
    At least it still shows why RT for 1080p seems to be "okay" for Nvidia :D j/k

Solfaur and Robbo9999 like this.
  8. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    It's only "botched" if one statistical group refuse to opt in more then another. The only group that I can see having a particularly high percentage of opt outs is Linux because beardy people tend to be more suspicious then the rest.

0blivious, Solfaur and mbk1969 like this.
  9. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    Not surprised that FHD is far and away the dominant resolution.
    Personally I can't justify the price to performance ratio of higher resolutions screens and the supporting hardware required to run them.
    Most "casual" gamers are in the same boat as well.

fredgml7 likes this.
  10. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    "Intel with 82.01 percent (+ 0.21%)"

Meanwhile on Mindfactory:

[​IMG]

Amazon CPU sales:
    UK
    US
    Germany

Gamers Nexus users' poll
    [​IMG]

mohiuddin, carnivore, Fox2232 and 3 others like this.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Definitely true, and such groups do exist even with windows users. I opted out because I already said, the statistic's not that accurate... and I honestly don't see the gain for me to have those numbers end up in a statistic. Besides, as a currently Intel + Nvidia user, I'd not make that much of a difference. And I see how especially, like you said, more advanced users of high end PCs might be more common to opt out than OEM prebuilt system buyers, for example.

12. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I would take this with a grain of salt to be honest one thing i noticed with my Intel systems i used to frequently get pop ups to do the steam surveys but i have NEVER had it come up on either of my Ryzen systems, ryzen 2500U laptop or my 1700 desktop i have to manually opt in for to work this i think inflates the results quite significantly. I don't know if any other Ryzen owner have noticed this?

13. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    some people see the stats is just "un-reliable" or what ?
    while some reported steam have 90million active user (https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-active-users)

i think some people here just forget that the survey is not count based "current-changes"
    i mean some people rig can be as old as 5years+ ... not everyone upgrade / build new rig every 2-3years
    and AMD trending is just starting like what, 2years? and those wont reflect the survey that fast

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I suspect I botch the surveys by participating in with the same ancient motherboard and CPU (and the same brand of GPU) for many years now. Sorry...

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @BReal85 : your numbers are good. But they are for what you can call community like ours... People who build their own systems. This just shows that in general AMD is preferred by people who spend time to know what they are buying.

But prebuilt PCs end up with intel's chips much more than AMD's. Either because it is contracted on side by intel or because shops put HW into them that they have trouble selling separately.

But trend is good.

BReal85 likes this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Actually, the Linux opt-outs are involuntary. Beta users are/were not prompted for the survey, and sometimes you need the beta version. I heard this supposedly isn't an issue anymore, but I didn't get much proof of that.

17. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    When I had my GTX1080 & 1080Ti for 2 years, Steam asked me every month for survey. The last 12 months I have my Vega 64, wasn't asked once to participate on the survey.

FYI on my GTX1060 laptop, i am asked to fill the survey every couple of months.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    BReal85 likes this.
  18. Order_66

Order_66 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6900XT
    The linux numbers are nowhere close to accurate since it only shows the linux version of steam, people that use lutris, crossover and other managers on linux will always show up as windows users, I get the survey occasionally while using lutris and it always shows up that I'm using windows 10 with no way to change it.

Fox2232 likes this.
  19. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Mindfactory is a flagship AMD store. Obviously they will sell mostly AMD.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hey, hey, hey, I've got a big ass-beard and opted for the survey every time steam asked me. But then again I don't use Linux. :p

Dribble likes this.