Review: GeForce RTX 2060 and 2070 SUPER Founders edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There is, actually.

Super cards use 410 and 450 chips, as in:

TU106-410-A1 (2060 super)
    TU104-410-A1 (2070 super)
    TU104-450-A1 (2080 super)

wikipedia claims the TU104-410-A1 was used in more recent (may and forward) RTX 2080's, and that the TU106-410-A1 was used in the RTX 2070's, but i really don't believe that to be true. It could be, i could be wrong in this, but it really doesn't make any sense to use these new revisions of the chips on non-super cards when they are phasing them out. Either way though, every single one of those are at most 2 months old, at best, brand new never used before.

I have yet to see anyone take the cooler off a 2070 or 80 and have a 410 chip in it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    not only that but one of the features that were overlooked was that with starting with Maxwell and beyond nv made to easier (somehow?) to cut down and add to a chip so its not always binning I guess

not for nothing ref cards always stay at ref price. you may get say a $380 card made maybe cheaper then ref or high dollar custom cards go on sale as they our now with a 2070 at $470 for a entry "custom" card for example.
    really depends on amd at this point they will never get lower if navi ends up being excuses from fanboys,yes you will see nv sales if AMD is sandbagging by hiding other cards or their numbers shown so far. that would be good for us.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Which kills those assumptions dead. :)

Aura89 likes this.
  4. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    So now do we assume that 2x 2070S beats a 2080TI for less money?

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'll gladly test this for you, just send me the cards.

6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    if the goal is to beat the 2080-ti with two cards, you could do it for quite some time, in gamethat support it properly, if you do'nt mind the extra headache of sli, heat propagation etc..

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Depending on the title it should get near it, however that has one big draw back.

I have yet to see a title use RTX features and also is sli/nvlink compatible. Like, maybe without the RTX features, not in DX12, etc. But DX12 and ray tracing? Haven't seen it yet. So, depending on the title, you could get near or exceed a 2080 ti, you wouldn't, so far anyways, get better ray tracing performance ever.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    rtx don't work in sli?^
    man that sucks

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I see no reason it shouldn't but i know of no dx12 titles that support sli (there may be some i dunno) but yeah no raytracing games support it to my knowledge, at least not yet

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

Shadow of the Tomb Raider supports MGPU with RT Shadows enabled.
    Quake RTX supports vulkan mgpu with all its features enabled.

airbud7, pharma and Aura89 like this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you really think that Ryzen 2700X 50th anniversary is any different from regular 2700X just because there is Lisa's signature?
    Print on chip/IHS does not change its insides.
    I have no problem with it either way. I only gave my point of view on ongoing discussion.
    There are other people who have problem with:
    "New Product" != "New GPU/tapeout"

We even had that statement about GPU cut/full not being used before... to which I kindly added quadro that actually is full variant of GPU as is 2080 S.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sorry but when did the 2700x 50th anniversary have 256 more cores then the 2700x?

Get off your nonsense, you clearly did not answer the one question i had for you before, so leave and be done with it.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did. You missed it. "Same GPU, Different Cut." And that's reality. Nothing malicious about it.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

The fact you think throwing a quadro, which as a $2000+ non-gaming graphics card is even remotely an acceptable answer to my question is just sad. And the 2070 and 2080 you gave, clearly, was a wrong answer in every possible way, but you already knew that.

Have you just resorted to trolling to try and push your nonsensical ideas?

This is seriously just getting sad.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Does this mean that you believe those GPUs in given list are different GPUs? Do you really believe they are different inside? If yes, then you won. (Whatever you wanted to make as point with that.)
    I have no argument against that. Nobody has.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What does that even mean?

Do you mean do i work for nvidia and know 100% what the differences between TU104-410-A1, N18E-G3-A1 (since that's also listed in that same link you posted), TU104-450-A1, TU104-850-A1, TU104-875-A1 and TU104-895-A1 are? No, i do not work for nvidia, so i do not make presumptions about what is the same, or different about them. Who would do that? Who would go to a company and say "Hey! I know your products better then you do!". As well as this nonsense that we get to tell a company what is new or not? What? I'd agree if something was just rebranded, but never released before configurations we get to tell them are not new? Wow we must be really full of ourselves.

You're literally not even remotely grasping the smallest common knowledge facts about what makes a product new, or not.

If you could not get it before: It's new.

It's that simple.

I'd 100% agree with you on this statement if the Super cards were just over-clocked, identical otherwise cards, with "super" on it, or even if a 2080 ti became a 2080 super, 2080 became a 2070 super, etc. And had again identical specs, they were just now cheaper and labeled differently. Those would NOT be new cards. But that's not what happened here, not even remotely.

At best, you could consider yourself correct about the quadro, considering yes, it does have the same amount of cores as 2080 Super, even though the ram is half as much. Hooray! you found something that is similar even though they aren't even remotely fighting for the same market or for the same purpose! Congratulations! This thread obviously isn't about non-gaming cards and making that distinction shouldn't even be necessary for someone to pull at straws while "discussing" what is new or not, but hey! still! Congrats man!

Let's all be with your exceptionally limited view of what makes a product new.

If AMD threadripper Zen+ had never been a thing, and instead it was originally Zen that was released for the 2000 series, with up to 32 cores rather then 16 cores of previous generations? Oh, no, that's not new either. 32 core processor? Definitely and absolutely, not new. I mean how could it be? The 16 cores had the same amount of dies on it as the 32 cores, who cares that 2 of them were not working/turned on/etc. Definitely not a new product, because obviously, you could have gotten a 32 core processor before....................

Zen 3000 series comes out, and the Ryzen 9 3950X comes out in September, it'll clearly not be a new processor! Because obviously, 2 months prior to that you could get a 16 core processor with 4 cores disabled! Absolutely, 100%, not a new processor in september. Again we all gotta remember, we'll be able to buy and obtain it before september, so it can't be new!

New sizes of the same formula of a item? Nah, definitely not a new product. Because obviously, you could get the item before, even though not in that size. That size is totally not new.

Oh pizza company is offering new sizes? Wait no no no, there's nothing new about that, new sizes? Ha! whoever thought they could get away with that!

Realistically all you want, regardless if you're even remotely right or able to back up your claims even in the slightest, is to be told you're right, so:

You're right. I have no desire to continue going 'round in 'round in circles with you on this topic with you continuing to disregard facts. If you don't want to look at reality, that's your own business and you can keep it. I don't want anything of it.

So you're right, be happy with you're right, move along. As i seriously have zero desire to continue this conversation, which i already stated before, which you ignored by your fake answers and laughable quadro.

You're right. The end.

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Dude everyone who bought an RTX card at launch was excited for Ray Tracing, and did not know it would be such a failure. Ray Tracing was the number one selling point for the 2000 series.

jura11 and airbud7 like this.
  18. H1TMANza

H1TMANza Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I hope the 3080 ti card is GTX and not RTX , at least 1 card normal . I honestly don't care about RTX for at least 2 more years till it matures .

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    except it hasn't been a failure to anyone for whom is relevant to the subject of discussion regarding RT.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, who was it claiming that AMD is rebranding and using old chips in GPUs with judgement method:
    - No particular GPU checked.
    - Just GCN 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 present in product naming scheme of 3X0

Then by your current and clearly contradicting logic, AMD could have taken Tahiti (clearly GCN 1.0) and 1st GCN GPU, and disable 2 additional CUs with each generation. And you would call it new. Because there was not GPU with 30 CUs enabled before. Then year later, you would call new GCN 1.0 GPU with 28CUs enable while it would still be same Tahiti chip that in full has 32 CUs. And so on, year by year.
    Hell, by your logic, AMD could have released Tahiti this year as entry level GPU with 31 CUs enabled and you would call it new.

That's clearly wrong. And I clearly shown you that new product does not necessarily equals to new GPU. What did happen to you that you thrown concept of binning out of window?

Oh wait, you did not! Bold part shows clearly that you understand concept of having same chip which is differently cut down. So, where is your issue? What does not work for you? Where comes that difference in your mind from? Why can you contradict yourself while believing that you are not contradicting yourself?

It is apparently not GPU or CPU. It is not fact that cutting does not make new GPU. So, where is that line for you? Is that anything else than AMD vs. nVidia?
    Because same chip, different cut does not make new product by your statement in AMD's camp. But apparently, it makes new on nVidia's side.