Review: GeForce RTX 2060 and 2070 SUPER Founders edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2019.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No this literally is directly slotting in those cards. The improvement is nice, but these aren't new chips. These aren't redesigns or anything new, it's the same chip, same fab, same design, same everything. If they didn't slot it as a direct replacement for the 2070 and 2080, that would be totally different. If I had a 2060, I wouldn't be upset considering they are keeping both the 2060 and 2060 S as their own entities. But they aren't doing that. To me, this feels like Nvidia is treating people who bought these cards, mind you not even a full year of release for these cards that came out in October as some sort of beta testers. This is the test product, test it out, okay it works, now let's release the real thing. That's what this feels like to me. As a consumer who spent the MSRP of the 2070 FE, I can't help but feel cheated. I paid $550 for the card, that's a lot of money to be seen as a beta tester basically.

The difference between this and TI variants, Nvidia sold regular and TI variants as their own product. The final name is different, but this is literally being marketed as the same segment and series as what it's replacing.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Hey I have a serious question.
    Why is the 2060s mostly faster than the regular 2070, while having less shades, lower turbo speed and lower tdp? Did you test the 2070 and 2080 with the newest drivers or are the results for these two cards with the launch drivers from Turing launch? Or are simply the new gpus more power efficient and they can boost higher with same/lower tdp? This would be kind of interesting to know.
    Thanks

3. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    As soon as you know a competitor is going to release their new cards around a particular date, a certain response from the other side doesn't become too unexpected. How far back did we know the rough release dates for Navi? - that's clearly the only driver for what Nvidia just did.
    I still say the timing of this from Nvidia is in poor taste and I still hope Navi prices can be adjusted, in kind, further before this Sunday. It's likely they'll need to do this if their 58xx and 59xx ranges are inbound soon.

4. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Firstly thanks for the review, looking forward to the navi ones soon, July is interesting on the gpu front!

I am not sure why people are arguing, there has been a barren desert for a long time in the mid range due to overpricing caused by lack of competition and mining. Now an oasis is finally found and people complain about the amount of water in it :) .

I'm a Maxwell GTX 970 owner. The problem with this card was it was, for the money, a really good bang per buck card and so has lasted a long time ; finally getting overstretched by games ( even with 3.5GB ram). But the card being a good bang per buck also kept making me think "I'm not f***ing paying that " for the last couple of years. It had spoiled me price wise.

I hope Navi is close and there is a price turn downwards slightly

To me, as a 970 owner, the new 2060S looks quite good because not only the core has been increased in performance but also the memory is on a wider bus and more of it, so both the core and RAM side have been increased for $50 ( ignoring initial price overpricing ). This card fits in well with my 60Hz 2560x1600 old dell 30 inch monitor.

When you have been waiting so long for a replacement another month or two does not matter.

Any other Maxwell owners out there still thinking of upgrading soon?

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Huh, still can't hold a steady 60fps in Witcher 3 on 4k. Well, guess I'll postpone my replay till the Ampere/AMD equivalent days...

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I am happy nvidia have lowered the price - but for me, I simply do not have a need for anything new right now, but yup, thumbs up from me.

djeiraji and Undying like this.
  7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Do you really need all ULTRA settings to satisfy your eyes?
    Boy, you will end up changing to new flagship video card twice a year for that :D

airbud7 and emperorsfist like this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I like to see games how developers imagined them at their best. Ultra quality adds something to the game. Still, reducing few settings to achive playable/desired framerate...i can live with that too.

Mufflore likes this.
  9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, no... but I also use a few mods...

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Review says 2070 Super is not nvlink capable

nvidia says it is

also why are the prices TBA?

the founders are set at 399 and 499

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019

11. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Sometimes AAA devs have to put things in the game that sponsors made them. Your typical nvidia/amp title.

RTX, *cough* hair *cough* works, etc...

airbud7 likes this.
  12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I feel reviewers go easy on the 2060 Super. It still barely beat past generation cards at 2k in a couple of games while being paired with a computer that is super *pun non intended* expensive (i.e. the type of computer people usually pair with a 2080Ti). I might upgrade my 1070 to a 2070 Super. The difference this time might justify the asking price (it was not with the 2070 and it still feel like the 2070 Super should have been the real 2070). But unless you're upgrading from a 5 years old GPU or want to play RTX at 1080p i still feel like the 2060 Super is simply not worth the asking price. It should be at most 370-380$ MSRP.

I mean BFV at 2k the 2060 Super average 90 fps while the Vega 56 average 82 fps. Metro Exodus at 2k 2060 Super 49 fps and Vega 56 45 fps. Mankind Divided at 2k 2060 Super 73 fps and Vega 56 65 fps. I don't see how this is impressive results. Yeah there's a bottleneck at this resolution but still i would expect a 400$ card to perform better than that.

13. djeiraji

djeiraji Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 2100Mhz
    Like always HH this is a very interesting review.
    More and more Hardware website are closing becase of lack of revenue, yours is up to date, well documented, and perform unbiased reviews.
    Thanks for that.

As for the card.More power for same money: i say yes. Even if RTX is nowhere near a 'must-have' now.
    CyberPunk 2077 may be the game changing that.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Funny thread. As if anybody could be that surprised...
    Let's wait and see if withing another year those price / performance ration isn't beaten again by Nvidia themselves, like some smarter people than me here already theorised / guessed.

airbud7 likes this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nope...This is the best it will ever be I tell ya!....now run out and get that shiny new rtx 2070 super!......:p

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    • GeForce RTX 2060/2070/2080 SUPER GAMING Series
    • GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER ARMOR Series: Play with style
    • GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER AERO ITX: Small size, excellent performance
    • GeForce RTX 2060/2070/2080 SUPER VENTUS Series: Silent and beautiful
    • *GeForce RTX 2070/2080 SUPER will be limited to GAMING TRIO and VENTUS .

[​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    So $380 is fine but $400 is far too much?

What prices are you looking at? Prices for new items are always more at the start due to people wanting something new now. Has always been the case, what cave are you living in ?

Time for a sit down in a quiet room and a re-think perhaps?

18. Megastitious

Megastitious Member

GPU:

You didn't do your research right?Do you know which Super 2060 costs 400$?It's the Founder's edition that ANY custom aftermarket card will surpass for fun.The guy above said that the BEST one should have been around 370-380$.This is just the WORST one.If you want a good enough Super 2060 with a very good cooling system etc, then start looking at 450$ or higher.Buying the Founder's card is such a NOT good option, same as when Titan cards gets obsolete after the 80Ti ones come around at half the price, easily replaced.So the question is.Do you think that 450$ for a 60 card is worth it and absolutely a must buy?Personally i wouldn't even go that high for a 60.Maybe a 70 or 70Ti.

Just because someone got a new card and another one released a few months later, doesn't mean he CANT enjoy the one he got.All in all, just buy the card that suits your needs and that's best VFM.I don't consider Super 2060 to be VFM at all.Sorry but i will have to agree with MonstroMart here.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Honestly. If 2060 Super comes at $450 while performing about same as regular 2070 ($500), it is move to right direction.

But that remains to be seen. Especially since there is need to retest regular 2060/70/80 just in case there was some driver improvement that would make results look comparatively better for Super cards than they are in reality.

20. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Exactly this. "tech improvement" my ass, there is no tech improvement here.
    Anyway, the problem lies NOT with THIS series, but with the original RTX one.
    The super series just confirms the original RTX was a money grab beta testing program. They held back on silicon they already had (this one) and were selling (to other segments) yet charged premium for it. And I don't believe a mature fab process like the one used became 75$ cheaper in 8 months either.

I remember a couple guys here on the forums quoting I think adored? which basically stated this, nvidia sell us gamers middle tier chips at highest price point.
    (Amd would probably do the same if positions were inverted, I'm bashing the entire oligopoly here not only 1 company).

0blivious and carnivore like this.