GURU 3D messed up my windows 10 login

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Requiem333, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Requiem333

Requiem333 Guest

Downloaded guru 3D and extracted it and once I started it up it gave me the option to reboot my pc in safe mode. Only problem now... is that since I rebooted into safemode windows won't even let me login to unlock my pc. Idk what changed from the reboot process or if my pc needs internet to sign into windows but it absolutely won't take my password anymore. I will say that once i rebooted into safe mode it brought up a window that said "setting restore point" or something along those lines.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    True story.

GetMax likes this.
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I assume you have downloaded DDU, based on your vague descpription. It specifically warns you that you need the original administrator password to log into safe mode.

PS: just reboot your system again to get into normal mode / log in normally.

However if you still think you have downloaded Guru3d and it is preventing you from logging into Windows, I suggest you seek immediate medical attention.

Passus and Jackalito like this.
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AsiJu explained it pretty well. If you have no clue what you are doing or are blindly installing software like DDU, always read up the disclaimers and tips before using any tool like that. It is well documented.

Jackalito likes this.

5. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    Assuming you're talking about DDU, you need to follow the below to fix the issue.

1. Restart your PC while holding shift key in order to bring up the blue-screen recovery environment. Select "Advanced Options" and then "Command Prompt".
    2. When the command prompt opens type bcdedit /enum and then take note of the identifier for your WIndows disk drive ( Possibly {Default} ) for use in the next part.
    3. Now type bcdedit /deletevalue {identifier} safeboot
    4. Now reboot and you should be out of safe mode.

* The reason it wouldn't let you log into Safe Mode is because Windows needs a network connection in order to verify your password and unfortunetely even when booting 'Safe Mode with Networking', it doesn't activate WiFi or LAN while at the login screen. The way around this is to create another 'Offline' admin account which will bypass the Network requirement for login.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Whenever I download Guru3D I make sure I have cloned my drive and made a system restore, last time I downloaded Guru3D my goldfish died

And I don't even have a goldfish...

mezball and Jackalito like this.
  7. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I wasn't aware the Guru 3D website was masquerading as a malevolent .exe file waiting to corrupt Windows 10 installations. This is news to me...

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    www.guru3d.com/malevolent.exe

9. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    I've just installed this program but now I keep getting a pop-up asking me to send pictures of feet covered in syrup to someone called Hilbert in order to unlock my files???

10. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Lucky guy, it wants me to send my 5700XT for a review, and if the sample is good only then will my files unlock.