WD expects to produce six exabytes less flash NAND due to power outage

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 29, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not only that I remember, that's the time when I've worked in retail and computer repair.
    And that what the time when Spanish authorities decided to put a tax on HDDs just only to tax out piracy.
    It was insanely expensive to buy a regular Seagate 500GB HDD that day, around 130€.
    That was the time also when I've started to buy from Amazon Germany, they didn't had the piracy tax on HDDs.

2. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Oh come on now your trying to tell us that a multi billion dollar fab doesn't have a continuous power supply good for a few days at least without the national grid :p I just don't believe that to be true

carnivore likes this.
  3. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Sure, why not install a 100 MW backup power plant in the basement, just in case of an event that lasts a few minutes once in a lifetime? :)

A complete power outage on a production facility which uses industrial-grade voltage could only be alleviated with a multi megawatt-hour class battery backup station - these are still a rarity in Japan, and overall they are ordered and maintained by local power grid companies, not by individual industries.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  4. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    I hope it doesnt turn out like DDR4 price fixing fiasco or the HDD shortage due to the flooding..... but WD + Toshiba produce around 35% of the NAD, only Samsung is bigger, lets hope SK Hynex and Micron see this as an opportunity to grab some market share instead of join the price gauging that kinda looks is going to happen.

5. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Well for sure I will be buying a new drive ASAP.

6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    so What do you think this is for, running the coffee machines or something as equally inane as that[​IMG]

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I hate to say it, but I already was doubtful of SSD prices in full drop. Just like I didn't believe in RAM dropping (they're still not below 2016 prices for low spec DDR4!). Seems I wasn't too far off. Funny how these "accidents" always happen when components / hardware seems to get a big price drop.

Keitosha likes this.
  8. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    These are prefabricated portable buildings, most likely temporary living quarters for construction workers (a different angle; current state with a parking lot).

Diesel backup generator station of that scale would be very expensive to install and maintain. More than that, it's not really uninterruptable unless it runs full time on - and even a <1 second outage or grid irregularity can ruin the entire batch of wafers in production, which will idle the plant for several months while the full production cycle is restarted.
    http://energyskeptic.com/2014/interdependent-chip-fab-electricgrid-financial-sys/

Only megawatt-class uninterruptable battery power would help alleviate these issues, but as I said above these are still very rare.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Keitosha and Clawedge like this.
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't think he's going to fess up to being clueless. I did this professionally. In the US, a complete power loss for the top 5 semi corp I worked for would have shut down every process and destroyed whatever was in process. The few exceptions might be some inkers or a few other systems with their own portable UPS.

DmitryKo likes this.