Furi

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Amaze, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I know it's a few years old but I'm surprised it's barely been mentioned here.
    It's one of the most satisfying games I've ever played I think. It's basically a boss-battle game with some nonsensical walkthrough cutscenes in between. Feels a bit like Afro Samurai in style, same creator.
    The art style is amazing, the music is amazing, the fighting is amazing. I urge you to give it a try.
    You can get a good discount on tomorrow's Steam sale.

Here's a dev just acing one of the bosses, insane. Each boss basically has 6 phases you have to get through with your 3 lives.

shoja likes this.
  2. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    This looks quite cool! I like to kick back in my couch and play games on PS4 after a long day, and this might be a good candidate. Thanks!

Amaze likes this.
  3. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    It was free on PS+ a year or two ago and it was in my top three games for that year. Super cool and satisfying, just don’t play it on easy. Love the OST too!

Amaze likes this.
  4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Did you catch the free DLC that was pushed to all platforms back in April?
    https://www.thegamebakers.com/furi-freedom-update/

5. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Missed that completely. Thanks for pointing it out. Doesn’t look like much, but a new boss sounds good. I’m most interested in the new controls layout, since only after finishing the game, I realized that you can parry and shoot at the same time, making some fights supposedly easier. I may boot up the game later today, as I was thinking of replaying it and also I need just that type of a cool small game in between Destiny 2 sessions and Sekiro’s ending.

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Not my style of game but the music is something else. It's one of the few games that I don't play but will listen to the music on a regular basis

with tunes like that is it any wonder?

7. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah, while it's not the same kind of music, I do get some Mega Man vibes as the music is sort of pushing you along, emphasizing your progress.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this is the first consoles game that had music I want the soundtrack for in over decade. I think first castlevania on the ps3 was one before it though I got collectors edition of that for 19$ which the soundtrack came with

I played furi to death when first came to psn + after that i just fire it up to hear the music. got the whole sound track on my spotify list too

9. AAA music bundled with a really bad indie game...

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Can you tell us why you don't like it? We won't bite you.

11. I'm pretty sure I'll get bitten, but since you asked...

TBH I don't know if there is anything to like (except music). Is it really just a few hack-and-slash bossfights glued together via boring walk-slowly-forward scenes? Seriously, walking from one fight to another, where you just hold forward(or A on xbox controller) and your character walks extremely slowly in predefined direction (with terrible walk animation) while listening to cringy overdramatic voice. Then the combat, in which I find the gameplay stupidly pre-scripted. Now you have to defend yourself, now you can attack, now defend... don't like this at all. I feel absolutely no freedom in fights and if you loose life, the sequence is repeated with all pre-scripted parts it had. Also, I had no idea why at some parts of fight my main attack does literally no damage and in other parts it does... pre-scripted again for no reason or badly communicated with player? I expect a lot more gameplay ingenuity from a 20 USD indie game.

From technical point of view, Unity can deliver more. First of all my fullscreen res 1920x1200 is not even supported (cropped to 1920x1080). No additional detail settings are available, just 2 of the Unity's defaults "beautiful" and normal settings? Characters animation quality screams low-budget indie game in every corner and terrible voice acting, which I find annoying to listen to.

I've played for 40 minutes and finished 2 fights... then it went off my disk. Music was the best part. If this was a mobile game for 5 bucks, I'd say fine... if you are into this kind of games.

12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Fair enough mate :)

13. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    @haste I can’t say you are completely wrong, but at the same time I do love the game, so it seems like that different people like different things. Shocking, I know!

Here are my two cents. The slow walking (with a bad animation, I’ll admit) is there to present a story, build tension for the next fight and give you a breather after the previous one. I have walked away from a fight with sweat all over my hands and controller and feeling too “high”, so these moments are there to be the down time. I’m not sure, if you have to finish the game first to unlock the option for speed running (or did they unlock post release?) where you just go from boss to boss.

What you call pre-scripted, I see as game rules. I did not have a single fight play out the same. It is a game about learning patterns, but at no point you can beat it, just by remembering button sequences.

Technically, well I don’t care. It is a highly stylized game and I happen to very much like the stile they are going for. So I don’t even think about graphics setting here. I would also me annoyed if did not support my monitor resolution, as is your case, but also think that may be they kept the 16:9 ratio for reasons concerning gameplay.

Anyway, it is just a case of different strokes for different folks. I like racing games, but half of the people would never play one. I don’t care about football games, but again half of the people will play only that. That does not make them bad games, just not the games for you or me.

BTW, at least we can all agree that the OST is awesome! :)