Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Do Windows 1809 or 1903 do something to solve this issue at all? Or does it persist on some system configurations? I am still at 1803 because there have been no reports on MS fixing this at all on newer versions of Windows.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Standby lists problem is universal across all these builds. Which means this problem should not be considered in decision to upgrade the build. Both 1809 and 1903 are more optimized when it comes to recent security mitigations (retpoline and stuff).

AveYo and Smough like this.
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Thanks for the answer. So it serves me no purpose to update my Windows build to be honest, yeah, I may have some vulnerabilities but I use extensions to secure my browser and keep up to date my Windows Defender. Besides, I never browse on insecure or weird websites and obviously, I don't execute the .exes from spam e-mail box lol.

Maybe SOME day MS will fix this, if they ever pay attention to it and care enough.

AveYo likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Problem is we are not sure MS knows about this. If affected people do not report the problem then you can wait forever.
    As I take it not so many people are affected.

yobooh and AveYo like this.

5. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Hi mates, since 1903 still suffer from this from all i have read until now, which method work best? I have 8gb ram btw. Recently clean installed 1903.

6. AveYo

AveYo Member

GPU:
    8800GS 384MB
    just try all of them. starting with freestandbymemory.bat, ofc :D

7. Xentic

Xentic Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8GB
    I have seen claims, that 20H1 insider build fixed the issue with standby list. I will check it out and post there later if its correct.

Edit: Sadly, its still the same and stuttering is not fixed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    EDK-Rise, kurtextrem and AveYo like this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @EDK-Rise
    I post in this thread to not clutter the uKER`s one.

Here is your standby list utility written in C++
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/d08wwtqepimn9pp/StandbyListUtil.zip/file

I placed ReadMe.txt file with description into the bundle. Since I implemented additional monitoring mode, you can actually collect the info (log-file) to be sure your rig experiences the standby list problem.
    Here is example of log-file:
    Code:
    "(PDH-CSV 4.0) (Russia TZ 2 Standard Time)(-180)","\\DESKTOP-B4BTHBB\Memory\Free & Zero Page List Bytes","\\DESKTOP-B4BTHBB\Memory\Available Bytes"
    "06/29/2019 16:34:38.387","10657034240","11878424576"

First line is the header of CSV type of file with the description of values.
    Second line is the actual data - time of the sample, "Free & Zero Page List Bytes" counter value, "Available Bytes" counter value.
    Now a bit of theory:
    "Available Bytes" performance counter value is the sum of "Free & Zero Page List Bytes" performance counter value and the bytes stored in standby memory lists.
    So sampling both counters we can calculate the size of standby memory lists.

PS
    Try it. It can be that I made the decision logic for purging the standby list incorrect for your rig, so I can fine tune it further.

PPS
    @ all gurus. If you want to spy on the free, zeroed and standby lists you can use this utility too.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  9. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise Active Member

GPU:
    AsusStrixTop 6900XT
    I got this error:
    http://prntscr.com/o8bnng

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Error is
    0x800007D0 (PDH_CSTATUS_NO_MACHINE) Unable to connect to the specified computer, or the computer is offline.

Which I can`t understand in this context.
    Try to launch perfmon.exe, then add a performance counter "Memory" => "Free & Zero Page List Bytes". And write back whether you succeeded.

Update: Found another interpretation of error:
    The function was unable to retrieve the local computer name.

What is your local computer name? May be it contains not English characters, spaces?

EDK-Rise likes this.

11. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise Active Member

GPU:
    AsusStrixTop 6900XT
    The issue is i don't have perfmon in my system.

Update: the system name is AMIN

i forgot to mention, the the windows is modified version by me and a lot of components of windows has been removed, so i think your program does not work in my system.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    perfmon.exe is the client for Windows performance counters and related stuff. May be your system has no performance counters. In such case I can`t help you with standby lists. There is WMI as an alternative way to collect correct memory stats, but utilizing WMI from C++ is too overwhelming for me.

IMO, you stripped your system too much.

Update: Tried to launch utility as administrator?

EDK-Rise likes this.
  13. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise Active Member

GPU:
    AsusStrixTop 6900XT
    Yes, i tried. no luck!

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    We in this thread discussed several implementations of the memory stats, I just found those posts and will try pure WinAPI functions... Will be back in couple of hours...

EDK-Rise likes this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

16. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise Active Member

GPU:
    AsusStrixTop 6900XT
  17. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I got similar lines, except under Preparing the Win32 API stuff ... I also got
    Starting the memory tracing...

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    That means it is working... Every 5 minutes it will print either '.' or '!': '.' means no need to purge standby lists, '!' means standby lists were purged.

PS Try execute in monitoring mode by executing "StandbyListUtil2.exe m" - you should see numbers for free and standby memory lists.

EDK-Rise likes this.
  19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You are using first version of the utility.
    Both versions were made specially for EDK-Rise because he has no .Net Framework in his customized system.
    I mean this utility is no better than any other utilities offered in this thread and by uKER in his thread.
    You can still use first version of StandbyListUtil.exe namely in monitoring mode - to see whether you actually have standby list problem.

SpajdrEX and EDK-Rise like this.
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    moaka, akbaar and EDK-Rise like this.