Requesting Scanline Sync Tutorial

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by BlindBison, Nov 2, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I suggest you read this thread from the beginning.

As for not having permissions, you need to take ownership of the folder or grant your user account full access (even if you are using an admin account).

2. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Done thanks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Ok so under [OSD] I added SyncInfo=1.
    Under [Framerate] I added:
    SyncHotkeys=1
    SyncDisplay=0
    SyncScanline0=1
    SyncScanline1=0
    SyncTimeout=0
    On RTSS software I enabled "show own statistics" and added negative numbers (-10, -20, -30 etc.).
    Is there something wrong? I can't see any "tear line".

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Siberto2

If you can't see any tearing, then you configured it correctly. If you want to see a tearline, move the sync scanline upwards (something like -700 should do it.)

5. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    @RealNC
    Still can't see any tear line. I only have one monitor, is 0 the right value?
    I also would like to know how to measure the input lag latency.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Siberto2

If you can't see any tearing, then you forgot to disable vsync, or you're playing in borderless windowed mode instead of fullscreen.

There is no "right value". It depends on the game, your GPU and even possibly the driver version. Usually -50 to -200 hides the tear line.

7. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    @RealNC
    I meant the SyncDisplay=0 value.
    Can you tell me how do you measure the input lag latency?

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Siberto2
    If you only have one monitor, leave that at 0. That's the monitor to sync against.

Measuring input lag required special equipment. But you don't need that to make out a difference between vsync and scanline sync. Especially at 60Hz. If you use 60Hz vsync there's a lot lag you can feel. If you switch vsync OFF and use scanline sync, you can immediately tell that's better.

9. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Well at the moment v sync is off in game and "use the 3d application setting" on NVIDIA panel.

That means windowed mode doesn't need v sync?
    @RealNC

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    borderless windowed like ever other form of windowed programs use there own form of vsync it wont tear, but at same time isnt gona me limited by monitor hz so all forcing vsync on will do is enforce the hz of your monitor to limit the framerate. far as i am aware for vsync to work in windowed mode the program/game it self must have a vsync option. Nvidia Vsync option only applies to full screen exclusive last i checked

Vsync isnt need to be enabled in windowed program games, but in my experience. forcing vsync on in windowed game can make game feel smooth and in other case do nothing other then cap fps to hz of monitor

11. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Then if windowed mode doesn't need v sync... same for g sync?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Windowed mode has more input lag, and some stutter issues. But it's always vsynced. You can't get tearing in windowed mode.

But wait. Are you using a g-sync display? If yes, you don't need scanline sync. Just use g-sync (it's much better than scanline sync.) Scanline sync is only for displays that don't support g-sync (or freesync.)

13. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    With the windowed g sync there is stuttering with many apps, which is why I asked if it was useful for windowed games.

When you combine scanline sync with adaptive sync or fast sync you mean those on NVIDIA panel?

Finally I saw the tear line with -700 in the middle of the screen, well with a simply -1 it doesn't show up.
    @RealNC

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Siberto2 likes this.
  15. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    @RealNC Awesome guide, thank you. Let me ask the last questions:
    1 Would you recommend SyncTimeout=1?
    2 I still haven't figured out if g-sync could be useful in windowed mode.
    3 If s-sync > v-sync then why do you use g-sync + v-sync and not g-sync + s-sync?
    4 Is frame time different from input lag?

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's the default. And yes, it's recommended to leave it at that.

It can. You just enable windowed mode g-sync in the NVCP. I don't like it though. It can stutter at high GPU loads.

I don't anymore. I use g-sync with vsync OFF. I only set vsync ON for games where I can still see tearing. s-sync is NOT useful for g-sync. G-sync replaces s-sync and does a far better job than s-sync.

s-sync is for people who don't have a g-sync monitor. G-sync is superior to s-sync.

Yes. Frame time is just the time it took to present a frame. At 60FPS, frame time is 16.7ms (1000 / 60). Input lag can be 100ms with just vsync. With g-sync or s-sync, it's much lower (like 40ms).

17. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    @RealNC
    Wait, I'm confused:
    Vsync fixes tearing but gives stuttering.
    Gsync + Vsync fix tearing and stuttering.
    What happens with only Gsync? I think there is tearing but there should be no stuttering since there is no vsync, it does not make sense = it is as if nothing was used.
    Perhaps fps cap fixes tearing?

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Siberto2 The G-SYNC 101 article I linked to (note that it has 15 pages) explains all this stuff :)

The TLDR of g-sync is that it fixes stuttering, tearing and input lag all at the same time, if properly frame capped to -3FPS below Hz, and it works best in fullscreen mode. But it has some corner cases with games that don't behave well. That's why you sometimes have to also use vsync together with g-sync.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    With only Gsync there is no tearing, stuttering or extra input lag if it works correctly.

Gsync is a special technique that goes around the vsync + input lag / no vsync + tearing dilemma by making the refresh rate adapt to framerate at all times.

But it requires a G-sync capable monitor to be used. Do you have a Gsync monitor?

If yes then like RealNC said forget about scanline sync.
    Scanline sync is a sort of "workaround" to achieve the same end result with non Gsync (or Freesync) monitors, ie. monitors without variable refresh rate.
    End result meaning smoothness of vsynced image + low input lag of no vsync.

S-sync will be of no benefit with a Gsync monitor.

S-sync is very useful with standard non Gsync (or Freesync) monitors but games must be run in exclusive fullscreen mode with vsync off, both in NV CPL and in game, for it to work.

(Also you must configure s-sync separately for each game and you may still get some tearing when GPU load fluctuates. Optimally your GPU load should be 50 % or less with s-sync to leave headroom for tearline calibration.)

20. Siberto2

Siberto2 Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    @RealNC
    1) You said windowed mode is always v-synced but fps can go above the refresh rate, does that mean fps are not "real"?
    On windowed mode there is no need to use fps cap?

2) I found out that v-sync doesn't work on windowed mode but scanline sync does, do you recommend using it (for people who don't have g sync)?

3) On full screen I can notice tearing with 60Hz but not with 144Hz... are syncs (v, s, g) still needed with 144Hz?

4) Is that Scanline x/2 for adaptive sync?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019