AOC outs ergonomic and sleek 4K display, the U2790PQ

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AOC announces the new addition to its 90 Series aimed at professionals. The 27” (68.6 cm) U2790PQU offers 4K resolution (3840x2160 pixels) and a pixel density of 163 ppi, resulting in crisp ...

AOC outs ergonomic and sleek 4K display, the U2790PQ

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    27'', rather high pixel density.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im more like 27" 1440p. Thats enough pixels for the size.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You have not seen a 5K iMac then.

Undying likes this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, going from 1440p to 4K at 27" definitely makes a large enough visual jump for me that I want it. That being said I do feel like 27" is too small now. I want a 5K 30 or 32" monitor.

I was waiting for that ASUS Ultrawide HDR1000 but idk, the price is kind of insane and I feel like mini-LED/MicroLED is just too close to spend that much on something I'm probably going to replace due to the new tech coming.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Not even remotely in my opinion but it's better than 23/24" 1080p display which honestly looks really bad. It's still sad that Windows doesn't handle scaling properly.

Undying likes this.
  7. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    With DisplayPort 2 finally around the corner as well there's no point in getting a new GPU or monitor unless you have to.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Wait, what?

9. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    i play on a 1440p 24 inches and i gotta say that i love the pixel density, so im sure a 27 inches 4 k is very nice

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I have the cheap version..... the AOC U2879vf and although my i7 7700k + Evga gtx1080ftw struggles with some games 4k maxed out in some games its great for watching 4k movies, so much better than my previous 27" 1440p screen just playing at 1440p, also even though mine is 10bit capable....Hdr is hit and miss

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Niin?

12. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    1440p is not even close to being mainstream yet, just check Steam hardware survey. It is hard to say if most who upgrade from 1080p jump straight to 4K, because it depends completely on products that are available. Monitor market has been rather stagnant for a long time and alternatively it seems it is profitable to release some uber high end monitors like Asus does, rather than compete in 2K 144 Hz segment. Everything depends on what kind of deals there are to be had, like if some very popular and affordable 4K monitor pops up or 2K prices go down suddenly. Only problem for 4K is that not even close to affordable 144 Hz monitors are available. High refresh rate is more appealing to gamers than 4K, so it is good to see the new display port coming out, but how long it takes to have 4K monitors with that port? I guess it's going to take awhile and if there are any major GPU sales, like if Navi sells very cheap which runs 2K fine, 2K monitors are going to be more appealing for upgraders. 4K monitor owners don't need to worry though - consoles and TVs together make sure that 4K content is available, like 4K textures and TV shows.

My estimation is that 2K monitors will be sold in large amounts before 4K 144 Hz monitors get more popular. When one buys a 2K monitor, it means there has to be a reasonable upgrade before he moves to 4K. That upgrade from a 2K,144 Hz, IPS/VA monitor would be 4K, 144 Hz, MicroLED, HDR/FALD one. Those kind of monitors will not become affordable, like 500 euros max, in a long time. I conclude that Navi together with some 2K monitor sales will bring 2K to be the next mainstream thing rather soon and 4K will have to wait until MicroLED at least. To add, even next GPUs after Nvidia's 7 nm will not be able to smoothly run 4K at 144 Hz, but the next generation after that most likely will. If you are planning to upgrade from 1080p, I suggest to keep eye on some upcoming 2K HDR models, because HDR is visually far more impressive than slightly crispier screen. 4K is of course needed for 30" and upwards to have a crisp image, while even on 27" there is a difference in sharpness, but the problem is the GPU power in the end like always. 2K is where it's at, while TVs will stay at 4K for a long period.

PS. Interestingly we will see a period where the next consoles actually output higher resolution than most high end PCs, 4K @ 30 FPS. I know that some developers are aiming for higher FPS on next generation consoles, but I expect majority of games to be 4K @ 30 FPS. I don't know if anything similiar has happened in the past?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019