ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I agree with your hate for VA panel high refresh rate gaming, it tallies with everything I have read about it.

There's plenty of high refresh TN panel monitors out there, some with even 240Hz, so you don't have to stop PC gaming if your 120Hz monitor dies - instead use the opportunity to buy a 240Hz! You'll want to make sure you've got the CPU & GPU for it though! But, you'll probably be turning down some game details a little to reach a somewhat stable 240fps anyway whatever GPU you have. I've got a 144Hz panel that is overclockable in the menu to 180Hz, but contrast ratio drops by something like 66% if I go from 100Hz up to 180Hz (measured with Spyder4Pro) - so I don't know if 240Hz TN panels can really show a good contrast ratio, you'd have to research it from actual reviews where they measure contrast ratio. Because of this I run 100Hz on everything apart from fast paced games where I just wack it up to 180Hz and say screw the contrast ratio, I'd rather have motion clarity & detail in online fps games.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  3. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    How do you guys think LG's new UltraGear gaming monitors compare to the high end Asus G-sync HDR monitors?

The LG monitors are IPS based and have a faster response time and can display more colors, but lack the ultra high end features like full array local dimming. I am due for a monitor upgrade, so I will likely be buying either the Asus or LG monitor.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    any reviews to look at?

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Denial just funny when i see ppl posting stuff we NEED,
    when in reality everything past shelter/food is WANT and completely optional.
    or claiming there is no 4K gaming, when i play 20 of my games at 4 some even at 5K (DSR)

@ToxicTaZ
    need is not equal to want.
    i want a lambo, doesnt mean i NEED one to be able to live and get groceries.

when i see how many years we had no problem playing at 60/75hz without "dying", makes me believe its a want feature, not need.
    maybe the ppl that are getting paid to game, and thats not us, as those ppl also get sponsored and have no trouble getting the hardware, e.g. wont complain about price.

and going to 120Hz is relevant for movies/shows, so the tvs can do additional motion related processing,
    which is counterproductive to (high fps) gaming, as it introduces input lag by 10x (vs without).
    there is a difference if i want to game on a screen or watch movies.
    or why do you think all lcd tvs have gaming modes/profiles that virtually turn off all internal processing (incl motion)
    to reduce input lag??

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    See* above post by someone else several hours ago :()

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In that point we don't "need" anything for electronics and this whole forum is moot point.

While i understand that many things should not be considered as a "need", i will state, that for me to game, i NEED 120+hz monitors, no matter the game, FPS or not.

Now, is that a "need" as in an existence "need"? No, ofcourse not, but you give me a 60hz monitor, i won't use it. I, and many others, NEED 120+hz monitors, either because of the smoothness that comes with it and they don't want to play without that smoothness, or because, like with me getting used to 120hz monitors, i literally feel sick after playing on a 60hz monitor. Sure, you could say "Well then you never should have upgraded!" and i could say you are right on that, but i did, and now yes, to game, i NEED a 120+ hz monitor, it's that simple.

Stop making others feel like because they say they "need" something to game that somehow they are saying it's the same level of "need" as food and water. It's not, and that's not what they're saying, you're just putting those words into their mouth.

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I thought ~$1,200 was crazy expensive for a monitor. I've still never even done something like that. But £2699? ($3,400) For a monitor?

I do not understand the market for this. For gaming, this is just ridiculously over-priced. Even for content creation, that price is absurd.

It feels almost like a crime against humanity to sell a 35" monitor for this much.

10. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, it's way too much for a monitor for pretty much everyone, especially as it's a VA monitor which will suffer from motion blur, so it's not really a 'true' high refresh rate monitor, it's a bit of a lie, and you don't want to be paying that much money for a lie!

11. sephking

sephking Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    I waiting to see wha thtese new 3440 & 1000t brightness monitors were going to cost and cheapest is the AGO one which is £2k. Decided to get a Samsung Q9FN and set it up next to my monitor for gaming. Best hardware decision i've ever made. Playing games at 1440p@100+fps on a top end QLED is sooo good.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Aura89
    he never said "I".
    quote: As a PC Gamer 144Hz is minimal for PC Gaming experience so 200Hz is is a crucial factor ..

outside the fact that there are games that dont need ANY of those specs (sims/minecraft) to be played properly, "We" also played games in the early 70s on a B/W tv with specs not even close to this, and didnt miss anything.
    until the last 5y "we" played games on pc/consoles without half those specs, yet no one thru their gaming system out the window because of it.

or stating that (pc) have grohx options to increase fps, when it actually is to match different level of hardware (performance) and/or allow to change it to what each owner prefers (settings).

Or even comparing 120Hz tvs with high-refresh rate monis, which are designed to do completely different things (with the higher refresh rate).

So all of a sudden WE all NEED those things ore gaming isnt gaming? right.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    linus is not the person you want to listen to for reviews of any tv, monitor or projector.

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If this was Elite, I'd class him as 'Mostly Harmless'

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Is 1000 nit brightness really necessary if you keep your PC in a dark environment?

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    depends on "you" as well.
    im sensitive to bright light (except movie theater since im further away from screen and its not completely dark)

i usually game with only a 5w led light lit on the other side of the room,
    and already most games are a bit too bright (moni has 300 nits) for me.