Intel Might Drop Desktop processor Prices by 15% To Fight off AMD Ryzen 3000

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 21, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Intel starting to sweat?

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Lowering your production to hit "selling everything they make" doesn't mean your product is selling well to what your company wants. Remember, Intel lowered the amount of CPUs they were making.

Bringing in samsung means they will have more to sell, but also, still doesn't mean they are selling well.

Lowering your price, and bringing in more by partnering with samsung, makes perfect logical sense.

3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    [​IMG]
    :rolleyes:

4. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    AMD fanboys:

Screw you Intel your prices are too high.

Insert AMD finally becomes competitive after many years.

Screw you Intel for dropping your prices.

Love the internet.

gx-x likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Um.... why would someone have an i7 and downgrade to an i3 or i5? That makes no sense. In the last message I quoted from you, i7s were the only thing you brought up.

If you really did question everything, you'd realize that i7s are being sold for $300+ because people are trying to get rid of them now while they still have value. For the 9000 series, they retain value pretty well because of Intel's shortage (which affected PC enthusiasts first and hardest). People are looking forward toward the next-gen parts from both Intel and AMD (though mostly AMD). If these people don't sell their CPUs now, their value is going to plummet.

So, if you think seeing a whole bunch of used CPUs on the market at a high price is a good thing, well, let's see what those prices look like a month from now.

I don't see anyone here being mad at Intel for lowering their prices.
    Y'know a real sign of hardcore fanboyism? Completely making stuff up that never happened.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Aura89 and D3M1G0D like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Love being the part of it.

7. Infernae

Infernae Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 FTW3 Ultra
    Reading comprehension, my dude. People who had i3 or i5 systems buying used i7 CPUs to upgrade.

But you are right, the reason those used i7 CPUs are on the market at all is because people are upgrading, previously to newer Intel and now to Ryzen.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Fail is on your side. @schmidtbag did ask about reason behind people getting rid of their i7s if they are so superior.
    Apparently reason for selling your i7 is not because someone wants to upgrade their i3/5. That line of thinking is perversion of logic.

That's why he kindly wrote reply that could enable @typhon6657 to realize that he replied as if question was different.
    - - - -
    And using 4 years old trade as base of today's argument is beyond moronic. That's even time before Zen1. CPU landscape changed since then in way that desktop mainstream platforms did move ST performance by maybe 10% while MT performance went up 3 times thanks to AMD.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Admittedly, taking a closer look back, I did somewhat misinterpret what typhon6657 said. Though given the context, his reply to me didn't really have much at all to do what what I said earlier, hence my confusion.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    That would be the AMD Athlon Barton era, right? The nForce 2 days.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah it was, an Athlon 64/FX vs Pentium 4/D. Then Intel come out with C2D and it was a game over until this day when history repeats.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Making stuff up now eh?

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yeah the Athlon 64 era vs the Pentium 4/ Pentium D days, at least Intel and AMD were neck to neck in the first Athlon/Duron vs Pentium 3/Celeron days.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Easy, you "sold" that chip, with MSRP $340, year after its release for $400. Another 2 years later AMD made 4C/8T as entry level chip.
    And another 2 years later (now), 4C/8T is trash regardless of who makes it.

Your idea that selling rather new chip at time one can mark as "ages ago" reflects to today is utterly stupid.
    = = = =
    2014 - Intel High-End 4C/8T => MSRP $340
    2015 - Intel High-End 4C/8T => MSRP $340 ; Yet, you are selling chip above for $400 (while one can still get that chip in stores)
    2017 - AMD entry level 8C/16T => MSRP $330 ; High-End MSRP $500 ; Intel High-End 4C/8T => MSRP $340
    2018 - AMD entry level 8C/16T => MSRP $300 ; High-End MSRP $330 ; Intel High-End 6C/12T => MSRP $360
    2019- AMD entry level 8C/16T => MSRP $330 ; High-End MSRP $400 ; Intel High-End 6C/12T => MSRP $360
    2019- AMD High-End 12C/24T => MSRP $500 ; Intel High-End 8C/16T => MSRP $500
    = = = =

You think that your personal experience from past long gone has any relevance to situation today. (Or that 4.5GHz on your chip was anything of any worth since stock turbo was 4.4GHz.)
    But instead you should think why you sold chip with MSRP of $340 for $400 (if that's actually truth). And if same thing applies today.

In current price situation one has no reason to pay $300 for trashy 4C/8T. It is much better to sell obsolete system and add those $300 to get whole new and up-to-date system.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    15%? That's not enough. That only brings it back down to a bit overpriced like they used to be. I think they should have gone for, say, 25-30%. AMD had to do price reductions far more drastic than that in '06(?) when the Core2Duo line released and whooped their entire lineup.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm not buying an Intel processor when they have swiss cheese security holes.

Aura89 likes this.
  17. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Now if AMD can repeat that success in the GPU market, forcing Nvidia down from ther current prices, then it's time to build a new gaming rig.

18. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Lol! I like the comment you made about “15% with a dozen of vulnerabilities.” Then again I can’t blame you for not giving Intel any slack, knowing they don’t want to support the EU with anymore processor samples for review.
    With that said, I’m very glad AMD is back with proper competition. Just one thing to remember is that even though Intel is dropping prices, they will not loose any money given the fact that they have been over charging all of us for a while now for their products so they can afford to sell their products at a reasonable price now. Heck they can even sell it at a loss currently and they will still make good profits at the end of the financial year the way they have priced their products the last 2 years. At the end of the day it’s all good competition.

gx-x likes this.
  19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So what was with Intel lack for 14nm shortages? Is it resolved now?

gx-x likes this.
  20. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    You leave your info all around the web all the time. Willingly most of the time.
    Also, let's consider that everything you wrote is actually happening just like you said - doesn't that just reaffirm the banality of those exploits?
    In reality, these exploits have been around since forever. What's new is that now loud minority is screaming about them now that they know the exploits exist. Just like "PC vs Mac" commercials and how PC is doomed because viruses this and that.
    I am not saying that it's good that there are holes in intel's CPU, but I am not going to flail my arms and scream and go buy AMD because of it.

Noisiv likes this.