Just for grins and giggles discussion, about prebuilt PCs.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by topcat77, Jun 19, 2019.

1. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I know most prefer to build a computer rather than buy one pre built for reasons (price, customization etc). The last pre built I bought was an alienware aroua back in 2007. MB went out a month after the warranty ended, and alienware wanted $500 for a new mb. Since I have built my own.

As I said its for grins a giggles, but I was looking at some different builds from cyberpower, ibuypower and power spec (microcenter). In some builds I did, there was some good points and bad points.

So has anyone bought a pre built for grins and giggles,

Serotonin likes this.
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    If I were to buy one it would definitely be from Microcenter. But I would never buy one.
    The last pre-built I bought was a Dell in 2000

Serotonin likes this.
  3. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I had never heard of power spec until 2 or 3 weeks ago when my neighbor got one. IMO it was a good buy for the most part. Specs were a i7 9700k, 16gb ram, a windforce 2080, win 10. The mb don't remember the manufacture but name was prime. Ram was gskill. The power supply was an EVGA (didn't look at model). The 2 things that I didn't like was the case (just not pretty to me) and the cpu cooler ( CM 212 evo). Ne said it was $1199.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    The reason to buy a prebuilt PC is convenience.

If something goes wrong, you can return it as whole. Warranty covers whole PC and not just specific parts.
    If I were to buy PC for a company/customer, I wouldn't built it myself, since I don't want to be responsible for repairing it.

Solfaur, Serotonin and airbud7 like this.

5. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    Thats how I got an alienware. Had an xps720 ) core 2 duo, gtx 8800 etc. MB went out 6 months later. Dell didn't have a replacement MB, so they sent me a alienware with a I7 975, gtx 240, 6gb ram. At that time their warranty was repair or replace.

Solfaur and Serotonin like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Outstanding logic!

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    From the first computer I went with custom configuration.
    Never bought a pre built. Sold a LOT o them when I've worked computer store retail.
    Never appealed to me, not even the price.
    I am weird when it comes to computer parts, I always want to choose.

Serotonin likes this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    if I ever did it would be a Dell/Alienware setup...

I would first look for a used privately/custom built gaming setup locally via facebook marketplace/craigslist ....
    one man's trash can be another man's treasure.

Serotonin likes this.
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Saw some powerspec pre-builds @ the local Best Buy and was pretty shocked they had them. More shocking was the crazy high price. Nice option for console users with no build experience. But with that inexperience comes a higher price tag.

I bought pre-builds in high school. But I'm old, this was before 3D gpu's, just before Voodoo 3dfx and all that rage. Then I took apart one of those pre-builds and learned how to do it myself. Fun times in the days without google or friends that shared the hobby not realizing how to get the cd/os disk to boot ahead of the hard drive lol. Good times. Compaq. Compaq pre-builds. Aren't they lenovo now?

10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Why are you so judgmental and such a prick to everyone? Seriously, if you have an issue with everyone on this board...it's probably not the board. Actually, I'll just inform you for all of us. It's you.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I would bet that BestBuy is raising the price to make a profit. Microcenter is usually very reasonable with their prices.
    Take this one for example: https://www.microcenter.com/product/514035/g353-gaming-desktop-pc

$380 CPU
    $500 GPU
    $100 Mobo
    Probably another $200 for RAM, SSD, HDD, and optical drive

Those are the prices you would pay if you bought the same components on their website and build yourself and they sell the whole package for $1299. You probably aren't getting the greatest RAM, PSU, and SSD, but for a newbie it's a good deal.

Serotonin likes this.
  12. I wouldn't use one for my personal battlestation, but i buy OEM systems for customers all the time. There isn't much money(and way too much time cost) in building office computers most of the time. I have been buying mostly lenovo thinkcentres......can get one with i5-8400, 8 gigs ddr4, and 256gig nvme ssd for 600 bucks. They are nice little machines.

Serotonin likes this.
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Rude comment. Points given.

Serotonin likes this.
  14. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    If you're going with a pre built, go with Dell Alienware. For a few good reasons. I owned 2 Alienware 51s a few years ago, and I had some minor issues. Alienware replaced the whole computer, and upgraded it as well. Twice. My wife has the Alienware Area 51 right now, and it's been running flawlessly. You might pay a bit more for a pre built rig, but the comfort of knowing that if you have issues, Dell will send a tech guy to your house to try and fix it. If something with any hardware is dead or un fixable,or your monitor has a dead pixel, Dell will replace everything. For a lot of people, having that kind of support and in home service etc. is more important to them than the satisfaction one gets from building their own rig. Alienware, or most of the custom PC builders, can build a rig for you every bit as powerful as anything you can build yourself.

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    The idea is not to create a problem in first place. Yes, it’s boring and totally not fun things that grown ups tend do.

I still dream of replacing my companies old servers with custom built single high end zen machine and build virtual servers on it. Reality however, is often disappointing.

16. Lol, isn't it. Cannot even count how many times i have been working on junk wishing i was working on something nice.

17. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    When the ailienware died, I stole parts to build a custom PC. I wanted to use the case, but some things were proprietary. So I gave it away on a fourm. The person who took it created a beautiful PC out of it.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Friends recently bought themselves prebuilts since the price was definitley good for the components. And I don't have to deal with their rigs anymore :D

For myself I'll stick to my own work, since custom loops aren't generally offered, and building a PC is as much fun to me as gaming itself.

19. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i dont think ill will ever buy pre built pc's because i enjoy building the pc itself.

Serotonin likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I was building PCs for other people before I built the first for myself.
    I didnt realise, I also havent owned a pre built.
    This way I had my cake with extra cheese for less wonga :)