The RTX 2080Ti thread (cont.)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Glidefan, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @jim2point0 I was hoping for a comment on the case but I guess it was deleted. Sorry there was trouble in this thread man.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I was just making light of the situation, trying to change the tone. Nothing to delve into here folks, be happy. :)

3. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Sorry....

Was just going to say, don't just look at my experience with the case to make a decision. Gamers Nexus has a review of the H700i (my case + stupid smart device) that concludes the case's airflow is decent, and even better with the front panel off.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks! Yea, I've read that review which is why I was a bit shocked to hear about your 80C experience. Based on all the GN reviews I've read, removing the front panel is almost always a good idea (even with the meshed ones). It's really hard to find a good case since the included fans matter a lot as well and those are different from case to case. TG is something that I've always wanted but the four TG cases I've tried have had terrible GPU temps.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic but thanks for replying.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Seems I fixed my overclocking issues. Does anyone know if the source of the power has any influence on overclocking stability? Or perhaps these cards are more sensitive? I was living in an really old building (about 50 years old) with probably pretty outdated outlets and electric and just moved to a really new building (4 years old) and it seems my overclock is really stable. Even resident evil 2 isn't crashing. Not sure if this is the reason or not or if it's because of something else.

6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    So it is a possibility? Have to admit I don't really know much about this. I've never experienced this before but I haven't had a single crash where I was crashing all the time in my old place, especially in games like metro and resident evil 2. Might go about raising the OC higher and even touch the memory now.

7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    The Strix cards are very strong. Until they come out with something else I will always go for strix editions. Expensive, yes, but you really get a lot of power for what you pay for though I know the RTX generations cards were and are quite over priced. Especially considering RTX is still not super fluid and smooth (at least on BFV). Seems to work quite well on Tomb Raider.

That said, I am not sure if it was a driver that helped me get +170mhz as before I could barely do +150. Drivers surely play a role on your OC, right?

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

What hampers Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix is power limit which is 315W, wish Asus released better BIOS something like is Asus RTX 2080Ti Matrix which is 360W, other than that Strix is great GPU for sure and yes RTX 2080Ti are expensive and Strix is too more expensive than other cards which is expected like in previous generations Strix always have been more expensive GPU than others with similar specs

Not sure if drivers plays role in better OC as I don't update Nvidia drivers, running still 417.71 I think which is good for my needs,tried few drivers which caused lots of problems with TDR or CUDA crashes etc due this I stay from any driver update

I will try few drivers and will see how they performs and if OC stays or it will be better

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Almost every recent AAA title can't maintain 60FPS in 4K.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 cannot run with 60fps in 4K/Ultra on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080Ti
    ATLAS cannot run with constant 60fps on Epic settings on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX2080Ti, even at 1440p
    The Sinking City suffers from stuttering issues, NVIDIA RTX2080Ti cannot maintain 60fps in 4K/Ultra

Anthem final version runs better than demo & looks gorgeous, RTX2080Ti unable for 4K/Ultra with 60fps

Also, SotTR, Darksiders 3, Metro Exodus cannot maintain 60FPS in 4K(And that's without RTX) with the 2080 Ti.

Netherwind and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, I wondered the same tbh. But haven't been following 4K benchmarks that much since they're beyond my personal resolution (or, I'm gaming on 1440p for that particular reason).

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This. Settings make all the difference in 4k playable or not. Many would be surprised at how good games look on lower settings @4k, to the point where hardly any visual difference while getting nice FPS boost. I can max out many games at ultra on 1440p but prefer how they look on 4k with reduced settings.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I think Cyberpunk will be the new Crysis

13. k0ng

k0ng Guest

I've been eyeballing two EVGA 2080TIs, hoping/waiting for Nvidia to reduce the price when the super variants are announced. However, given that there is no 2080TI super, at least at the moment, I think the TI prices will remain the same.

So, newegg is listing the hybrid variant for $1300 (normally $1400):

https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-11g-p4-2384-kr/p/N82E16814487432

The other variant I have my eye on is the triple fan air cooled card:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2483-KR

Question being, is the hybrid cooler reliable?

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    From what I've seen, temps on these small 120mm rads are not fantastic. You'd better get the Inno3D iChill with a 240mm rad if you want a real difference.

HandR likes this.
  15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    never had that issue? the only time i did was with my 1080ti and wolfenstein, without vsync.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Agreed on that, 120mm radiator seems is just not enough for RTX 2080Ti which have been more than enough for GTX1080Ti or GTX1080

RTX 2080Ti are running hotter by design

But if its possible then yes RTX 2080Ti with 240mm AIO radiator seems performing pretty good there, friend have EVGA RTX 2080Ti Kingpin edition and his temperatures are in mid 50's with hefty OC at 2200MHz, we are tried push card to 2245MHz which we are been able but ambient temperatures must be in low 10's, with normal ambient no way

Hopefully EVGA will release 240mm Hybrid AIO too which would improve temperatures by good margin and would be probably on par with custom water loop

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

17. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    RTX 2080 TI Super its just a matter of time now.
    They might run less hotter as well.

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I just dont see that. No point in it when the regular Ti is already fastest on the planet with nothing competing with it. The lower RTX cards have competition from AMD so super versions made sense. Anything more powerful than the current Ti will likely be the 3080ti next year.

However... would not be surprised in a super Ti if AMD do a powerful Navi (5900xt) that gets close to the regular Ti performance.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No coil whine on my hybrid kit

insp1re2600 likes this.
  20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    What could they do? A full TU102? That would be nice, but make the higher priced Titan RTX obsolete (I'd assume they'd still do it if AMD brought competition in that performance segment, but since it doesn't look like it this year, I doubt it). Raise memory speed? That would raise FPS by about 1-3 in 4k resolution with max details in most games (at least from my testing). Raise clockspeed? These cards usually overclock in a stable manner pretty much the same in the ~2000-2100 range anyhow. I guess they might be able to raise the potential and perhaps bin some chips for it but who knows

I think it's more likely that the 2080 Ti (and RTX Titan) successor will come with a die-shrunk Turing refresh instead.

21. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    It's easy.

Just don't use the highest possible settings, especially the ones that barely make a visual difference.

alanm likes this.
  22. Driller_au

Driller_au Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Airo
    Just got a asus 2080 ti and was wondering what is the max voltage is for it, google told me 1.068V and 1.093V same as pascal. I have a nice +140 core and +1000 vram at 1.068V which i will probably stay with but when i was running with default i did see it go up to 1.075V , just after the info for future reference

23. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    As i said earlier in my posts, I have a +170 on core and +100 on memory. 60c or less under heavy load.

With that in mind I would like to increase the memory further. Any advice and if so what benefits exactly can I see with higher mem clock? never been 100% clear on this. Thanks.