$749 Ryzen 9 3950X Beats $2000 Intel Core i9-9980XE(18-core) in Geekbench Test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't know why anyone falls for Intel's marketing and gives a crap about this. No one is going to be shitting out 500 frames a second on a 480Hz monitor. Nearly everyone is on a 60Hz monitor with a few of us on 120-165Hz, rarely 240. Zen+ is more than adequate for gaming at 1080p/120fps. A 1080 Ti chokes in modern games long before the CPU if you crank settings high. The only exception is (some) Japanese games because they're hands down the worst developers in the world so they keep their PC ports single threaded out of spite or something. Looking at you Squenix.

carnivore and gx-x like this.
  2. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    That intel exists and is from 2017. If you wanted that kind of CPU you already had it for almost 2 years. Let's benchmark that? Q4 2017 vs Q? 2019? Well, it's at least one and a half year faster. :)

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Then show me an 8700k for $199....I'll bite that.

Fox2232 and gx-x like this.
  4. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    show me 3600x for any price... (UNO :D)

you could also show me IGP on 3600x, quicksync and so on. Some people need those things.

airbud7 likes this.

5. vmanuelgm

vmanuelgm Active Member

GPU:
    Giga 4090 Master
    It doesn't beat the 7980xe, xDDDD

[​IMG]

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Quicksync was dead to me when intel disabled it for Sandy on windows 10. As they removes functionality I paid for and used, I am not happy.
    It was clear message. And clearly received. Except I did not do what intel expected me to do.
    @vmanuelgm : is that best result you made? Or is it average or mean?

Well, took just a moment to find out that your results are in top 100 out of 2500 results.
    To be more precise top 10% in MT and top 2% in ST.

But mean for ST seems to be around top 20% which is like 5750.
    Finding mean or average for MT would require download of all those results as it looks kind of like almost linear decrease. (It is not, but just by looking at different pages, I could not find clustered enough results and very small decline.)
    My best guess is that mean/most stable for MT would be around top 16% and that's like 60000.

@vmanuelgm : So, can you describe exact situation of your system? Clock modification, Memory, Power limits, ...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  7. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    actually, m$ disabled spoofing displays. You just need to plug in a second cable into your igp and QS is back. Might need active dongle, idk, google it if you still care.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did that. did not really work. On W7, one did not need to have anything connected to iGPU output. I gave that system away long time ago.

gx-x likes this.
  9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I get it. But it worked until like a year ago or so on W10, then some win10 update disabled the ability for user to make a virtual display and that was it. I personally don't use QS, never did since the only thing I would use it for would be video decoding, and I have at least two better options in that department. I did try active hdmi dongle (that I use for my miners) plugged it into the MB hdmi out, and I could add a display, hide it as desktop, make it secondary, as you normally would before, and QS was back. I did not keep it, like I said, I don't need QS. I don't see why intel would ask m$ to disable it anyway, they have only things to loose and nothing to gain really.

10. vmanuelgm

vmanuelgm Active Member

GPU:
    Giga 4090 Master

Hi mate.

Just saw this article and passed the Geekbench with my 24/7 overclock, 7980xe@4.8GHz (4.8GHz avx too, offset 0), 3.1 uncore, 4000CL16 1T on the Asus Omega x299 (Direct Die and Water Cooling Loop).

I can pass this test at 5GHz or even more, getting a higher score.

I know AMD price and hope AMD is strong enough to beat Intel for a good competency. But we don't know how this score was achieved (clocks and cooling) and simply wanted to note that my 7980xe scores higher.

Forgot to say I passed it with Hyperthreading Off, now passed it with HT On:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Fox2232 likes this.

11. Keno34

Keno34 Member Guru

GPU:
    R290 1150/1600
    So some people here compare a 750$ "Stock" cpu to a 2000$ "overcloked to death" one....This is tha last level of desperation from an Intel Fanboy!

Yeah the Last Buggati Veron is faster than the last Toyota....LMAO
    And i guess that your CPU wont last 2hrs fullcharge "AVX2"

Kool64 likes this.
  12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you jelly? :D

13. vmanuelgm

vmanuelgm Active Member

GPU:
    Giga 4090 Master

Guy, do u have misreading problems???

"I know AMD price and hope AMD is strong enough to beat Intel for a good competency. But we don't know how this score was achieved (clocks and cooling) and simply wanted to note that my 7980xe scores higher."

Still not understanding???

Never been fanboy of any brands...

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Feel free to ignore it. You provided your setup and OC level. That's fair as you did not state that it is stock setting.
    Only missing thing was Power consumption during test, but that would be just to satisfy interest of few like myself.

You was actually helpful. At least from my point of view.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I wonder if Intel will bother refreshing their HEDT lineup? What's the point of selling a premium-priced product when your competitor's consumer line matches or beats it? There's also the upcoming TR refresh to consider.

They had a chance to shake up their HEDT lineup when they did their Skylake-X refresh but they chose to mostly keep things the same (including the price). I have a feeling that they have run out of ideas and have effectively surrendered to AMD in this market.

16. vmanuelgm

vmanuelgm Active Member

GPU:
    Giga 4090 Master

Here it is (253amps peak with Geekbench 4.8avx and 4.2avx512):

[​IMG]

Intel is refreshing their HEDT line this september with the new Cascade Lake-X, with up to 18 cores, less consumption and more memory bandwidth. At least that's what Intel has said!!!

gx-x and Fox2232 like this.
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I take smoothness overall as well, but that doesn't mean I have to have my wallet raped by Intel for another decade+. And like most people, that's to a certain level, not absolute. I will not turn down textures for example.

Of course I'm an AMD user, that's how I know for a fact that it's fine in high frame rate gaming. I have a 1080 Ti as well, with a 144Hz monitor. The 1080 Ti is the limiting factor (mine averages 2GHz core clock in games) in everything I've played except some Japanese games like SOME areas of Final Fantasy 15 unless I use max settings... which I don't because other areas are actually GPU limited so I use whatever settings averages out to the highest total frame rate. That and some settings I just don't like so I keep off. In FF15 I get 20+ fps average higher with my Ryzen 2700, currently turned down to 4.1GHz, than I did with my i7-4770K at 4.2GHz despite the fact it doesn't really gain more performance from more cores. I could disable 4 cores and SMT and it still performs almost the same. Don't ask me how the hell the they managed to make the coding that weird.

Keep in mind that was before multiple security patches which dropped the 4770K's performance even lower.

For reference some games I've played (or at least booted up and tested some areas) recently are:
    - The Witcher 3
    - Nier: Automata
    - Rise of the Tomb Raider
    - Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    - AssCreed: Odyssey
    - Devil May Cry 5
    - Resident Evil 2 remake
    - A Plague Tale: Innocence

All of them are GPU limited with my settings, which as I said, are almost never maxed due to preference. And those are just the ones which are taxing at all on the CPU, I'm not listing all the low power games which take little CPU resources.

Also don't do stupid things like accuse people on this forum of being fanboys, especially old users. I haven't had an AMD CPU since the Athlon 64 days. Core 2 E8400 > Xeon W3530 > i7-4770K > Ryzen 2700.

That's over a decade of my CPUs; all but the current one from Intel. Like 99% of people I choose whatever can reach the performance level I need while being the best value for the money in that category. IIRC when I bought this Ryzen 2700 for $290 CAD, a year ago, the i5-9600K was $380 before 13% tax. I wanted an upgradable path and more cores for outside of gaming, and knew based on benchmarks that I wouldn't be CPU limited in games with my monitor.

And lo and behold, as expected Zen 2 is compatible with my X470 motherboard, and is only $500 USD for 12c/24t with a 4.6GHz clock out of the box.

You know what else contributes to smoothness? Frame pacing, which for some reason tends to be screwier when using Intel CPUs. Even 480 fps means nothing if it's stuttering unpredictably. When you get the chance boot up the Wii game Zelda Skyward Sword and see how a mere 30 fps locked game feels when it doesn't have severe frame pacing issues. You'll be surprised.

Unless you have a 240Hz+ monitor, Zen+ is fine. And don't forget, for all the people that go for 1080p/1440p/120Hz+, there's also those who play at 4K/60Hz. Zen wins there. I can't wait for Zen 2.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    carnivore likes this.
  18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Can you provide some links that show frame pacing issues with intel, or at least that there is less of them with AMD? From what I saw so far, 99th percentile is the same on both platforms, with some exceptions where one or the other has it a bit better in one game.

Thanks.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    PICNIC and lies. Plain and simple. Sadly for you I came from i5-2500K @4.5GHz fixed on all cores. And I objectively stated that achievable fps went up only by 5~10%, but smoothness turned form night to day.
    At the end I had big issues with i5-2500K unless I severely limited fps. But that's 4C/4T and desire to have much more than 60fps. I think that today 4C/4T may suffer in some games even on 60fps.
    But CPUs with more cores/threads are still alive in that category.

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Can you help me find this please? I wanted to read up and educate myself, and couldn't find that article... was it a CPU review? A podcast?
    Sadly that site isn't really easy to browse or search (always offers oldest tag hits first...) and google wasn't helpful either.