DOOM Eternal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's id Software.
    If they nail one thing in their games, it's player movement and feel. The weight and heft of being in the world.

I have zero worries about them being able to deliver.
    I've seen people complain about DOOM Eternal being "slower"... yet, gameplay footage on PC looks just as fast as the previous game.
    While the gamepad footage looks slower.

I think some people forget that DOOM 2016 wasn't blazing speeds of fast. And there was a Rune that allowed you to move faster as you fought.

Archvile82 and cerebus23 like this.
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Personally I don't mind at all even if Eternal is a bit slower paced than Doom 2016.

There's fast and then there's outright chaotic, the latter of which isn't really fun to me. It's not fun to have your senses overloaded.

I think D2016 was already at the line of fast / chaotic in places.
    Worth remembering og. Doom wasn't very "fast" either. Yes you could run about 60 mph but combat encounters were paced either way (and enemies didn't move very fast, mostly).

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    To me that was the best thing about Doom 2016, along with the exploration and finding all the secrets. The big battles where waves of enemies assaulted you at the same time and you had to move quickly and strategically to avoid being overwhelmed. That was the essence of Doom.

As a matter of fact, one of the tips they give you in a loading screen is," Hell devours the indolent. Movement is the key to victory."

I hope they multiply that feeling by 10x in Doom Eternal! :cool: The engine improvements would definitely support it, as IdTech 7 can display a lot more geometry on screen without bogging down the framerate.

Shataan and cerebus23 like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I get why they used what they used, but, I would rather see a true comparison.
    Actual Doom... not the heavily modded, obnoxious fluff that has been crammed into every WAD out there version of Doom.

6. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Just watched the DOOM Eternal E3 2019 Story Trailer. And it does give me some hope.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    They delve more into the multiplayer aspect this year, but they also show one of the new demons from the single player campaign. And once again, I'm pleasantly shocked at how much better the texture quality is in IdTech 7 and how much more polygons are used for the environments and the entities! :D

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  9. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    This game is going to ****ing awesome.

Really dont understand peoples worries about it but I do remember the same comments were made about Doom 2016 and look how that turned out...

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I was hoping for a "no glory kills" mode (because I dislike games that give you infinite health and/or kill the enemies for you instead of leaving that to the player,) but I'll take it. I'll do the same as I did in Doom 4 where I pretend glory kills don't exist. I'll probably just remove the keybind. :p

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe this time it will come with the game soundtrack playable in game? I just recently bought doom and I got say is the most fun i had in FPS game in very long time. its like Doom and Serious Sam had child that know what a good soundtrack is.

Health packs and med station are how FPS games should be played not this hide and regen stuff Halo started

12. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I have never been so sad in my life, not even through my divorce.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This is what happens when they decide to stop with the "when it's done approach".

15. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    CRAP!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019

16. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Not really surprised by the delay. They were pretty quiet for a while.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's not like id are known for being really public and talkative about their projects. ;)

Also, they aren't really the type to throw out a release date randomly. They've always been a "it'll be released when it's done" kind of studio.
    I think Bethesda wanted DOOM this year, because they have no big releases for the second half of the year.

But, id were probably just like "It's not where we want it. Delay it"

18. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    If it leads to a polished, fun product with plenty of singleplayer content, then fine. I'll get Amid Evil instead.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Perhaps they have trouble hiding the ingame store.

emperorsfist likes this.
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It will be a first game that uses Id tech 7 perhaps they need a little more time for optimizations.

Im sure it will be the best looking game to date.