CD Projekt RED Announces Cyberpunk

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I would watch that video... but... I don't like him.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    "At some point, Cyberpunk 2077 has to evolve from a visually impressive – yes Keanu, even breathtaking – world and into something more interesting. I want more than meat and gun oil: I want moral dilemmas and a thoughtful exploration of transhumanism. More importantly, I want the game not to lean on racial stereotypes. After CD Projekt Red’s latest E3 demo, I’m concerned on both fronts."

I read that first paragraph and now I'm mad I even gave them the hit. SJW's can fly off a cliff. Especially when 99.8 percent of them don't pay or play for anything they complain about. They see a quick video and take it to twitter "never owned a video game machine device but the fact this game has no women..."

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Number 4 makes the most sense to me and I can stand behind your decision.

LocoDiceGR likes this.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    2 new screens dropped.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

serbicu, fantaskarsef and Zenoth like this.
  6. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    There's a couple of things specifically that very few people ask about (well, gaming 'journalists' and YouTubers and the likes) when doing those interviews with the devs, I've noticed. And it surprises me nearly nobody asks them or even speaks of this considering what the game is at its core (open world). And that is how much freedom do you have when it comes to actions out in the open? And also, how much of actual 'survival' gameplay mechanics (if any) have been implemented?

Examples:

1) If I feel like it, can I just go out of my apartment, take out my gun and kill everyone in the building floor by floor? (I have the feeling for now, without knowing about it because no one ever asks the devs about those things, that there's going to be 'Safe Zones' within which we'll simply not be able to take our weapons out, but that's just my gut feeling about it so far).

2) If I do that (if I go around just killing everyone on sight), will I come across some sort of a GTA-styled stars system indicating my "Wanted" level? If there is such a similar system in the game, how does it work considering it's in the future too? Do cops magically appear in drop ships right above my head and drop down an elite Level 99 squad to stop me?

3) Perhaps a less violent example such as killing everyone, but still related to 'freedom of action based on how you want to play your character': Can I enter any store and steal anything I want as long as I don't get caught?

4) Again, for the point above, if I do get caught, wold that affect my so-called "Street Cred"? (which so far as we know is a form a 'reputation' system that is used to determine what kind of jobs are available and a bit more) or would that store owner specifically simply not want me there next time or something like that? (I only hope it won't be like the Elder Scrolls game where you can just steal something, escape if caught, come back 2 or 3 days later and the owner still welcomes you with open arms completely forgetting about it because there's no actual system in place for the owner to remember those things outside of the guards getting you if they can and you doing your jail time).

5) How dynamic are the random nameless NPCs / citizen in Night City? Can they, too, commit crimes around as the day unfolds and you just need to witness those events when they happen like in GTA? (I.E. random Joe guy stealing a girl's purse, or someone stealing a car, or the police chasing some guy and so on; or some other more simple things like just a car accident at some street intersection or things like that).

6) Something as simple as 'survival' aspects in the game like do you have to... eat? Sleep? Does V get fatigued / tired after a full day of activities? (I doubt it, of course, but we never know, I just haven't read a single thing about that yet for the game; but that might simply mean there's no such things in the game... still, I just don't know if that's the case or not).

7) Regarding the actual extent to which the game can be explored, how many buildings and independent stores can we actually enter? Are those skyscrapers we see in the videos all interactive? How many floors can be accessed? Can we just get on the roof and jump off for the hell of it? Or is the exploration of the game's infrastructure much more limited and then we might currently think? Because, of course, there HAS to be a limit. Yes, the game does look very complex and multi-layered and, yes, there does seem to be a lot of interactive elements within the game's world. But when it comes to the game's "verticality" (I.E. getting in skyscrapers and exploring multiple floors, if possible) and generally how much of it can be explore outside of just covering distance on foot outdoors there's actually very little we know of. The only 'most complete' example we have of that aspect of the game is from the 2018 demo where V comes out of her apartment and gets outside the building. But when she's still inside it does look like at least the floor she's on is explorable to some degree and is connected to at least 'portions' of other floors... but I'm not sure if the whole building can be accessed and explored. Et cetera.

Anyway, right now the one thing that intrigues me the most is concerning the freedom we actually have in the game when it comes to our decisions and actions out in the open, and how much of an impact it actually has on our character and the game's progression. In a game like... say... Skyrim or Fallout 4, if I go around killing as many NPCs as I can, then sure I won't have an easy time in cities and towns and most places will try to arrest me; but I can still finish the main game's quest line and nearly no NPCs within that line of quests would mention what I did or react too negatively to it because... well, the story must go on and I have to get to the credits screen somehow.

The suspension of disbelief in games like that is absolutely required and even it can only do so much before the game's 'logic' feels out of wack to such a degree where you eventually think "Well ok I got my fill of playing the Berzerker gone mad, it's stupid anyway nothing holds its ground anymore and I can still buy stuff from this store; might as well just start over and play more normally". Which is a scenario that actually sort of happened to me long ago in one of my Oblivion playthroughs, tried to play a Thief gone mad killing everyone from the shadows, so to speak, but it didn't turn out too well; the game's stealth and guards and 'wanted levels' system just couldn't handle THAT much chaos accumulated over that many cities and NPCs, eventually to a point where nothing made any sense enough to continue playing this way and I reverted back to a more 'controlled' / 'behave yourself within the game's own system limits' way.

The thing is Cyberpunk 2077 is depicted as this dystopian place where it's pretty much free for all (or as close as it gets to that) and 'fend for yourself', where the strong or the cunning can survive and the weak get shafted outta the system. Now, however, the whole city is divided in six Districts and some of them seem to be more 'civil' (it's not really the case I'm aware, within the game's lore, but it's much more 'under control' than a place like Pacifica as we're told by the devs). So in the 2018's demo, it's the Watson District, where the economy seems to be doing well enough, lots of activity and NPCs around, bunch of stores and lots of independent services offered on every streets and so on. So, would I be able to go bunkers in Watson District? Or is that place way too well-guarded to bother? But CAN I bother if I want to? Can I take out my knife and stab NPCs around for the heck of it? Or would I get some generic message, or perhaps even my own V character whispering something like "Better not take out my weapon here, way too many cops" if I press my attack key? But would such a 'Safe Zone' system make sense in another District like Pacifica where it's pretty much lawless and people make their own rules? Can I play my 'Crazy V' in that District but would have to restrict myself in another District?

And so on.

I'm genuinely very surprised that we know very little (if nothing at all) about those sort of things.

XenthorX likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    eh it like playing a psychpath in a tt group.

eventually your going to draw the wrong kind of heat and be put down. even if your gms going to try to accommodate your choice.

it should be damn near impossible to go complete rogue the police state yo the corporate armies one person does not buck that system with impunity.

the right kinda of sociopath might end up working for a corp or the army.

also think back to vanilla witcher 3 town guards were op as hell when any decent witcher should be able to shread most town guard. but the game buffs them to silly status so murderous geralt slaughtering the city is someone one does for lulz a few times but is not a viable play style. i suspect if you start slughtering all your neighbors swat and etc will show up until you are dead.

you can probably like w3 also rely on side content for level up and materials and blueprints. and ideally a mix of main and side stuff will get you through. more side stuff you do the easier the main content tends to get if you can manage the bordeom that kicks in at some point. and like w3 some side content will lead to more involved locals and characters and maybe even stories to tell. nm everyone will be hunting for ciri in the game world when it drops.

but should any game put the time and work to make every building open and explorable? probably not unless you can populate those areas with stuff for players to find, it just boils down to loads of empty pointless buildings that players will get bored and frustrated with if there is whole city of the things with only a few poi buildings of any note. use missions and side quests to pull players to areas of interest with some explorable stuff in the same area, most of it should just be window dressing like a gta 4 style open world. pretty much how they do it. maybe npcs can make use of some of those buldings as part of their routines if they want to put that much detail into the world, witcher 1 had some impressive town life ai and how they behaved when it rained and where they went throughout the day, but w3 did not do it to that degree because of the amount of ais in the game it was probably too much work, but maybe they can pull that off for this title?

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    fantaskarsef and cerebus23 like this.
  9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What for? Preordering is for securing a copy before they're out of stock and having to wait maybe a week or so before the stores stock up new copies. With digital downloads, this isn't a worry anymore. So why preorder?

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think with this game it is more to do with people showing that they have good faith with the developer / what the game is going to be.... although you are correct.

Now that I think about it some publishers do lock content behind "Pre-Order" with the intent of making money sooner.

*edit*

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    AsiJu, serbicu and XenthorX like this.

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Can be a sign of respect and support, showing the developer that you believe in their product.

Maybe, the person has a limited budget, and has the extra money now but won't have it when the game comes out. Easier to just buy it now with the extra funds, and not have to worry about it.

And, possibly, other times... you can get a discount for pre-purchasing. I got RAGE 2 for $30 bucks at GMG because I prepurchased.

Or maybe, just maybe... just because they want to.

Normally, if I decide to prepurcahse a game it's because it's one I'm going to buy anyways. So, I just do it and get it out of the way. Purchase made, done, and I move on. Yes, I can easily wait for the release date... and nothing will change. The game won't "sell out" on Steam, copies won't run short.
    But... maybe I just got a bonus, have some extra money, and I know 'I'm gonna get this game when it comes out'... so, I'm going to buy it day one and not wait for reviews (or care about reviews), so why wait. Just get it now.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Doesn't matter if you buy it before or after. When you buy it, you support them.

Eh? Wait... Eh? Money doesn't evaporate over time. If you put it somewhere, it stays there.

I didn't preorder it but I was hyped. When it came out, it turned out it was mediocre. Not pre-ordering saved me $30. Combined, the money I saved by not pre-ordering games I was very hyped about, far, far outweighs the money I would save by preorder discounts.

13. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Have you guys seen that interview with YongYea ?

So apparently you could kill or drive over anyone and if someone else noticed you get a bounty on your head. Depending on the current sector you're in either the police, corp security or gangs will be after you. Someone always has control over a sector, only the outskirts are uncontrolled. No idea what that means (not a 2020 expert).
    Btw what is a nomad?

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Awesome..... it's always nice to have the choice to be a chaotic evil character. hehe..

DocStrangelove likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    unless your bank has fees

16. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    One very important question to ask the developers is : Will this one be GFX wise also as downgraded as the Witcher 3 was ? Will you pull the same shyte as before? I remember the controversy when Witcher 3 came out lol.

17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Visually "downgrade" is totally normal these days. And the pre thigns you see are not representing the final product. I hope i dont need to explain why downgrade is normal, i think there was a discussion about it a few years back. :p most of the "downgrade" happens to maintain a decent performance. And consoles obviously are holding back some of that. It can also happen if you run out of time due to the release, pressure by publisher and dont have enough time to maintain a good performance.

Marcin Iwinski from CDP stated about Witcher 3, that consoles were the reason they had to downgrade the graphics, since without a console release the game wouldnt even exist cos they could generate (more) sales on consoles allowing them to have a higher budget for the game, which with a PC only version they didnt have and also wouldnt have to downgrade. But they couldnt afford that.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  18. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Yeah, of course I get that, I'm not that naive lol :) . I know that consoles dictate in this business, but I just wish them to remember a little bit about their origins, and how it all started for them on PC side of things. I can only hope for a "decent port" these days lol. PC only games died a long time ago ....

19. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    @serbicu
    I wasnt explicit talking to you, but in general for people who might not know. ;)

Currently watching this, i think i might havent watched it yet, lol. Possible i said to myself to avoid gameplay videos back then, its from August 2018, but now i want to watch some gameplay, so.. :D

And btw. the 50 minute gameplay demo behind doors from E3 will be shown public in August 2019. So i guess same with the video above which is also 50 minutes and from August 2018.

DocStrangelove likes this.
  20. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Just found out that the guy from DigitalFoundry just said that the behind closed door demo was running on a PC capped at 30FPS , and he was trying to understand how will they be able to pull this off on consoles lol. Well... like it was said before „downgrade“ all the way, or if we‘re lucky just a small one :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.