USB 4.0 Will Arrive In Late 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, you just got used to USB 3.0, 3.1 and recently 3.2 right? It has been a confusing mess with the renamed denominators alright. But basically, the USB Promoter Group is finalizing the specificatio...

USB 4.0 Will Arrive In Late 2020

angelgraves13 likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Personally still not using USB3.0 to it's fullest...

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. Pawel04

Pawel04 Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950/3GB
    "The USB Promoter Group) finds the differences so big that they are considering to create a new USB logo for it."

Oh man, these guys seriously have zero clue about branding (not that any confirmation was needed after the whole 3.0/1/2 thing..). Why not let the USB brand as it is, be recognized as being super quick rather than forcing a situation where 'USB is slow and this thing here is super quick'. I mean its like they dont believe their own protocol is allowed to evolve into anything quicker over time. Just leave it be and give it a new number hahah. I'm glad the Bluetooth icon isnt changing with every iteration..

Ok i just needed to get that out of my system. Really not that big of a deal i know but i dont understand this need to change things for the worse.

4. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    They should have gone for 10 x jump like the one from usb2 to USB3 and get it over with. Cos if it's only double, I guarantee there will be incremental updates that will just cause more confusion.

But hey, this is only a forum post, and it will not make the slightest difference in the end.

Silva likes this.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Then by all means give me devices to take advantage of said higher speeds.. I mean seriously who is at the forefront of the USB scheme of things....?!?

This is really sad when things like this happen. Devices and their speeds aren't even up to snuff with the transportation protocol available now, but let's slap a newer faster one out into the wild...

I just want Zen 2 to drop and that way I can see if the PCI-E lanes and their configuration on the X570 motherboards are going to hinder that PCI-E 4.0.

Because that X4 "interconnect" shtuff from the chipset to the CPU sounds like a really big bottleneck of sorts if all the devices are talking over just that connection internally....

Might just have to wait for Epyc and or threadripper 3?!?

6. angh

angh Guest

GPU and 4k tv, maybe 8k, with decent frame rate.

Good thing - amd is getting thunderbolt next year;)

7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    USB Promoter Group is a clown club.

8. rburks

rburks Member

People have gotten very used to their "long" charging and data cables. This may upset those who are not willing to go back to shorter cables for quick charging or fast data rates. USB 3.1/2 already has issues with cables longer than 3 feet, and Thunderbolt 3 has similar issues, especially when sending display data. Maybe they should have concentrated on this part before just jumping to the nearest speed hike.

9. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Intel clowns, both USB and PCIE groups, some big money is going on to discredit the launch of AMD right now.
    PCIE 5 and USB 4, so everything on this launch feels outdated.
    And just to bring some ground, most cable makers are having a hard time to make even 3.1gen 2 cables to the standard, right now, some very few brands, including Apple, can produce decent cables. Now, imagine guys, every device compatible with USB4 will need an ultra expensive cable... Most people haven't even saturated the USB 3.0 standard with their devices...

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    drop the conspiracy theories, the thunderbolt release to the usb committee was scheduled long ago.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm growing less and less fond of USB's trends ever since type C came out. Not that I have any gripes with the type C connector, just everything else associated with it. USB is turning into some really poorly thought out all-purpose connector. Yeah I get it, it's supposed to be universal, but being universal doesn't have to mean being a jack of all trades. What made USB 1.x to 3.0 so great is how it was consistent. You knew exactly what you were getting, it was very cheap, and very reliable. It might not have had such a wide array of functions, but at least it was user-friendly (aside from some people struggling to find which side was up and which one was down).

Now, it's turned into something where you can see a type C port and have no clue what it'll give you. Sometimes it can charge/power devices, sometimes it can't. Sometimes it'll offer 40Gbps, sometimes it'll give you 5Gbps. Sometimes it's a Thunderbolt port, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it has the DP specs, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can daisy-chain, sometimes you can't. The cable you use can affect functionality. The host device you use can affect functionality.
    I can't imagine all of the security risks and electrical gremlins that'll be involved by getting closer and closer to the PCIe bus.
    USB has been distorted into something ugly and user-unfriendly.

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Rather than keeping pursuing speed, it would be awesome to look into solving the current issues.
    Most sub 300€ phones use USB2. Most devices are still at USB2, like cameras and cheap gadgets.
    I love the USB3.0 reversible port, I'd love to that become a standard before anything else.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Just to emphasize my point about how stupid USB has become: don't confuse USB 3.0 with 3.1+: they're not totally backward compatible. USB 3.0, to my knowledge, isn't [supposed to be] compatible with the reversible type-C connector. USB 3.1 Gen1, which overall has the same specs as 3.0, is compatible.
    EDIT:
    Just to clarify, I'm not at all scrutinizing you if you didn't know this, because it isn't common knowledge and it's not your fault all of this was so poorly thought-out.

Silva likes this.
  14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Another technological leap that will serve to keep the price up.

15. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    More then the speed the two things I care about are:
    - Having the type C connector take over from the micro usb one - the micro type B wears out far to quickly meaning you keep need to buying new cables and often in phones having to replace the charging circuit board because they become almost impossible to charge.
    - Having some properly enforced quality standards as right now there's such a variation in cable quality.

16. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    Do you see video cards, TV with USB 4.0 connection?

Except for video cards do not understand why should I use it?

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still have nothing that use 3.0 let alone 3.1, most mouses and keyboards use 2.0 maybe, and I pretty sure none of usb stick are 3.0 or atlest they dont act like they do

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Thats impossible, you need PCie lanes for USB to be connected to the chipset or CPU, even 40gbps is already insane, 40gbps per port, now imagine normal hi-end mainstream system with 12 ports, how much PCIe gen 4 lanes youll need,im sure that they planing for this to be for PCIe Gen5 [Gen3 is not enough]

19. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    This is great news for Intel and Thunderbolt will be put to a broader use finally together with usb 4. Intel has found the way to monetize its Thunderbolt, which was very little adopted and little used ,because it was proprietary and expensive. Intel's strategy: "If you can't beat them, just join them and use them"

20. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    OK, remain calm.
    Now seriously if they haven't come out with a universal port for 4.0 i'm gonna start breaking things!

….. goes for cigarette.