Graphics are stagnant.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Serotonin, Jun 12, 2019.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    To me it seems more like we're moving backwards. There's far too many of these 8bit style games.

Serotonin and Undying like this.
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    immersion in this sense, is your brain seeing something and taking it as real.

often times motion sickness in vr is tied to that in that if your brain thinks your inhabiting a real space and your body is not moving like you would in a real space it can cause disconnect and make you ill. some people this comes on much faster than others and some people can get over it with effort.

i fail to see how you interest in what is going on has anything to do with it. nor do i think the biology works that way.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Pretty much the same way travel sickness works.

Not really on-topic, but last month my brother in law put on Face your Fears on his Oculus and while the "scary" ones were more funny than scary, the skyscraper one had me sweating and shaking. I was also hungover, but i tapped out and didn't make it to the end.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @cerebus23

For example, there is a bad game which you try and quickly get bored - game failed to immerse you into its world. Then developers added a high resolution, high textures, VR to that bad game. Will you be interested in updated game now with these fancy features? I will not.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Immersed and enjoyment might not necessarily be the same thing though. They certainly aren't to me, i have never been immersed in any game or movie/tv show, but i have enjoyed lots.

Obviously VR is the easy example, but i imagine it's possible i could get incredibly immersed in a VR Google Maps walking simulator though, enjoyment though???

6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    if you honestly think Cyberpunk has the greatest lookin gfx ever i rly feel for you n your bar must be pretty low yer it looks great in term of scale with an impressive amount of detail awarded to distant scenery but nothin else about it has jumped out at me yet ive been more impressed with screenshots from fellow gurus on already released games.

Cyber is currently nothin more than another second comin type game one that is already bein beyond praised waaaaaaaaay before it should if ya ask me we have seen it all before and we have ended up feelin disappointed if you are silly enough to hype a game up in your own mind that much you pretty much deserve that sour taste you are gonna get when it doesnt come even close to meetin your expectations./ lets not get to ahead of ourselves we know from countless movies that cos it may look like every $ of a film budget is up there on the screen does not mean we will come away from it feelin completely satisfied we know there is much more to a movie than that, far more.i wont say ive not been impressed by the beautiful lightin and texture work the hustle n bustle of a seeminly living city ive seen but the original live demo of the game left me cold and i have still yet to see one bit of ACTUAL GAMEPLAY that has made me drop what i am doin and take note. we are not quite there yet or at least im not everyone else is losing their minds. ive been more impressed with the final fantasy 7 remake than i have anything else recently includin this game as that games lighting animation system and art direction are truly somethin else. nothin else at this years E3 has stayed with me like that game has not even close.

what i think will be Cyberpunks one and only downfall is the shift from 1st person to 3rd person do you think Withcer 3 would have had the amount of cultural impact it has if it was a first person game??? I dont think so Kingdom Come deliverence many said would deliver this and it really failed to do so in part cos of its chosen perspective there is somethin about seein the very character you are playin and controlling as part of the world interactin with every aspect at your direct command and as immersive as first person can be it often fails to deliver the feelin of playin an actual character when there is only air and space before you. In Witcher 3 you were Geralt every action you took from walkin into a cabin for clues to gettin off your horse or fightin a monster each decision made every ounce of it was you taking on that role in full present n correct on the screen when it comes to first person you are a floatin weapon a hand that reaches out now and again you are DETACHED and altho what is happenin on screen may be closer to your own POV there is no changin that you dont always feel like the very character you are supposed to be attached to that weapon and to those hands are CDP masters of this as much as they are everythin else? we have yet to see. Geralt resonated with ppl a lot based on how he looks how he moves how he talks how he is a constant part of the world on offer all im sayin is take some of this away and mebbe the impact will be much less than many are expectin.

pls dont take this post as me being negative for negative sake im not tryin to do that im tryin to only remain open minded and not get ahead of myself i still dont think we have seen enough fo the game to truly judge its merits or its flaws for the time bein lets try and remain grounded excited sure hell yer but grounded all the same.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Serotonin likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I love how people are saying Cyberpunk is a best looking and we didnt even see the game as we should. Everything is still behind the closed doors so dodnt judge it and overhype the game thats still a year away from now.

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The end of a console generation always sees a slowdown in the visuals department, hopefully things will start moving along with the new consoles and a wider adoption of Ray Tracing.

jbscotchman and Serotonin like this.
  9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    i recently bought resident evil 7 gold for like $15 after havin issues with runnin Evil Within 2 and altho i had seen screenshots of the shift the game had made from 6 i had not played the demo or watched any real videos of it and it is the first game in a long time to blow my mind when it comes to visual representation the lighting work the texture the realness of the world and the damn authentic lookin characters who get right in your face all of it has really caught me off guard exceeded any expectations i had, a game i at one point never had any intention of ever buyin. the first game in a long time to do that but a large part of that comes down to not gettin caught up in any hype not over saturatin myself before hand with screenshots and written articles tellin me everything mountains of hyperbolic sponsored bs BEST THING EVER youtube videos and in the end my expectation of what a new RE game would become have been subverted in the best way possible. this comin from someone who normaly stays clear of scary games but a game this well made it would have been a crime for me to never play it. yer ive sworn a few times and come off it right away but im still goin back edgin my way through little by little and enjoying it more than ive enjoyed a game in a while.

RE7 is proof that we can still subvert all expectations for a generation in which we think we have now seen it all done it all played it all it aint all about bringing in the next technology but about what developers do with already existing technology also that counts. yer parity is a thing sure and many blame everythin on it which is fair enough but cast your mind back to a time when playstation was giving us what we thought was all it could deliver then one day along came Metal Gear Solid and changed everythin we expected of the hardware. im not sayin Temper Your Expectations: Avoid Disappointment in Life but give something the time it needs to cook fully before you dive in for a taste and Cyber right now is far off bein done.

10. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    You can blame the consoles.

There were few good titles last year when I wrote a thread and still today very few good pc releases.

The pc demise is certainly in effect.

Serotonin likes this.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think gameplay mechanics , artist creativity and story telling are also stagnant besides the graphics.

There are not many devs out there that can surprise me these days. Thinking out of the box doesnt cross their minds.

Serotonin likes this.
  12. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Just out of curiosity. Where are you from? Why do you say "mebbe" and "yer" all the time? Not mocking you, just curious.

I have to agree with you regarding RE7, that really took me buy surprise too.

To address the OP of this thread, I don't think that graphics have gotten worse. There are indeed WAY too many 8bit looking games, but I assume these are all the indie hip kids creating these and playing them (they could be fun, sure).

Like others have said, we are limited due to the current console hardware, once next gen is out it will be a good time for us main PC gamers.

However, and I know a lot of you will agree/disagree, but although Squad and Post Scriptum have mediocre graphics overall, the effects are something I am really impressed with i.e. explosions etc.

The Witcher 3 with the right mods can also be quite an eye opener along with the scale of it. For me I do need decent graphics to enjoy a game, especially once that is supposed to be set in an authentic real world/event such as WW2, but the Witcher 3 felt very authentic to me, not only because of the graphics, but also because of the characters and their interactions with each other.

Hard to say what the best looking game for me ever was. My opinion always seems to change,but I think we can agree we all have had games we enjoy visually and are realtively impressed and mix and match between certain games meaning "oh that game did have great water!" or "that game sure did have beautiful landscape textures".

Fingers crossed that the next gen will deliver as per their claims of 120hz etc.

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Crysis 3 was DX11, the first Crysis was DX9, with a few features locked behind a pointless DX10 wall.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Doom/Eternal and id tech 7 are peak of graphical fidelity today. Arguably its the best looking game.

Someone is impressed and others are not.

angelgraves13 likes this.
  15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Probably from around Manchester

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    remember the days when games like OG crysis and OG stalker showed us the path that gaming was on back when pc only rleease was still a thing well consoles are now startin to catch up that path might coincide once again who knows. does the need for parity really hold back true creative thinkin??? not in my eyes but not to say its not been like that for too long with many developers only interested in playin it safe year after year to keep those investors n publishers happy they day it all became about greed over a worthy return combined with creative expression was a dark day n that cloud still sits over us today.

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    There are a few reasons for it,

1st - the current hardware used for consoles is already maxed out and console games are what dictate the graphics for PCs because no company is going to spend millions to improve graphics for PC gamers not to mention that the hardware power is being used into making huge empty worlds because nowadays every game has to be an open world,

2nd - financial issues - making games is getting more expensive so spending more on better graphics that only a small percentage can use because they are the only ones with the required hardware is out of the question,

3rd - uber graphics don´t mean better sales. Crytek learned this the hard way with Crysis that had the best graphics by a very large margin but the sales were only decent. And just look at the "amazing" graphics of Fortnite...

But i think graphics are good enough for current hardware and is not something that concerns me a lot. I´m more worried about the lack of improvement on the physics and AI sides, specially the later that hasn´t improved sinde FEAR and Half Life!....

This is much more important than graphics! Imagination is drying up and the gaming industry is becoming just like Hollywood!... That´s way i loved playing the first Dark Souls, it had lots of new ideas and everything felt fresh while most games nowadays are just more of the same with some exceptions of course...

Serotonin likes this.
  18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The brief gameplay video of Halo Infinite ...really not gameplay, just...you got to see through master chiefs eyes, it was "in-engine", while only a few seconds...I saw this and that it was on the next console still over a year away and thought, "that's nothing I don't already see with an Xbox One X", the lacking hair effects were very odd to me, as I read an article claiming next gen would have more realistic hair.

Now, it's early in the game, but, for a first showing, very underwhelming. I hope it gets better as development continues.

And to the Guru who said imagination and story are also lacking these days, I agree. I was just in the E3 thread a few days ago and complained everything was a sequel or a HD remake of an old game. I assume there's too much financial risk with new IP's but damn, they better figure it out. Can't keep on this track forever and think sales will remain well.

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Lol at blaming consoles. If today's six year old consoles weren't the baseline, the studios would target six year old Intel IGPs instead. Consoles are what have forced engines to use eight threads and DX11 engines.
    Just look at the few PC exclusives we have, what games are more "high end" than AC Odyssey or Hitman 2 or Deus EX MD?

Blizzard, a mainly PC centric studio, supports the HD 4800 series for Overwatch, a 2016 year release. Back during last-gen, CDPR released The Witcher 2 with DX9 support only, despite requiring an 8800GT (DX10 hw) to run. Blizzard also released SC2 and Diablo 3 with DX9 support only.
    The Total War series have also always suffered from bad multicore support.

You can bet on that any game that's being released from now on, if it's extra ambitious with its visuals, it's because the studios are experimenting in order to be ready for the PS5.

Except it didn't. It didn't scale above two cores and its DX10 support was a checkbox feature. The reason Crysis 1 still can't run at 144 FPS is because its too CPU limited, the optimal would have been if CPUs started pushing 10+ Ghz, instead clock speeds remained at 3-4 Ghz and got around 10% better single threaded performance each year.

To Crytek's defense, Crysis 1 were extremely ambitious for 2007, and few other games at the time did utilize quad cores and DX10 hardware. But it's a poor example to use when talking about utilizing PC hardware to its full potential because it absolutely did not.

20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I disagree. In the snes, psone, xbox/ps2 era, consoles did not dictate graphical limitations on PC. PC's were leaps and bounds ahead. Almost a full console generation ahead in terms of graphics. PS2 was the go to system for home console when FarCry, Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 were released. All dx9 titles that were HUGE differences to anything consoles could do. So I don't see how one can favor consoles for power. You sort of contradicted yourself. "
    You can bet on that any game that's being released from now on, if it's extra ambitious with its visuals, it's because the studios are experimenting in order to be ready for the PS5." Yeah, that's our point. Consoles are the focus. Not PC's where all this extra power lies. Onboard garbage gpu's...even dedicated cards like the MX440 existed back in the day, so claiming games would be directed to onboard graphics seems like an odd opinion to have. But to each his own.

I think for the last decade, post-Crysis, PC was the bastard child of gaming because of the stigma given to it through "piracy". When in reality, developers were just lazy, sending broken ports and lacking any triple A exclusives to the platform. Now piracy is less of an excuse because it's being cut down with all these different delivery methods and PC STILL remains the bastard child of gaming. Even when it's been proven over the last three years PC brings in more money than consoles for most developers.

Reading gamers make excuses for the lack of PC support/exclusives is confusing to me. Consoles are fine. But they limit what the PC can do. That's all there is to it. And it's confusing as to why when it's being proven piracy isn't the issue, money is there to be made on the platform, etc. So essentially, what I'm reading is, gamer's are expected to hand over $1,000 for a gpu, but completely be understanding to the fact that adding any extra effort to a PC version costs the developer too much money....

TR2N likes this.