Control E3 2019 trailer - NVIDIA showcases RayTracing effects

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thunk_It likes this.
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    RTX or not I think this game looks pretty cool - I like the concept.. kind or reminds me of the first Prey with all the weird trippy stuff going on.

Thunk_It and Fox2232 like this.
  3. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    All the Nvidia demos of realtime raytracing are using just too glossy materials.. The best demo I have seen are the Unreal ones. In this demo you can see very easily how they did a poor material job in the rasterized materials on propose

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Gameplay looked good. But that DX-R/RTX comparison was off putting. Game developer who goes for DX-R level of quality reflections and dares to compare it to Cube-maps in 2019 can just close their business.
    Because If I buy this game, those cube-maps are what I'll be getting for my money.

(Best they shown outside DX-R was badly done SSR on floor.)
    Then I saw that they have DX-R based GI which absence is not that big deal on most places as they had quite OK shadows. (except those places where they had none)

5. blocking reflections that can be done in traditional methods to pretend the only way is using ray tracing is misleading and close to false advertising.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Quantum Break was really heavy to run. When it came out it was a gpu killer, this one using the same engine and rtx on top of it.

7. ray tracing is better yes but isn't it time they made a fare comparison instead of comparing completely off to on.
    It is insulting.

8. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    This really looks like a cool game, and it has been added to my Steam wish list. Thank you Hilbert for posting the video!

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nothing misleading about it.

It takes more time and effort to do non-ray tracing effects, therefore, in games without ray tracing enabled, you will see a random assortment of what the developers decided to make possible and what they didn't decide to make possible.

By technicality, a developer could make every possible pre-baked lighting scenario possible, would look just as good as ray tracing, and not cost near the performance penalty, but this would also take....years to do, just that one aspect.

Put simply: If you don't see something in a game that is done on the "on" portion of ray tracing, that you have seen in a different game, that's not false advertising, and it's not misleading, as you wouldn't have even noticed that it wasn't part of the game without the ray tracing just like you haven't noticed in countless other games that don't do the same thing you're focusing on.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Except games use hybrid rasterization raytracing. 1st "hit" from viewport to surface is rasterization as that's very efficient. Therefore they have those techniques at hand and implemented.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In RTX on yes, in traditional rasterization, again, that's up to the developer to implement. Has nothing to do with nvidia or RTX or ray tracing technology.

Again, we're not going to all the other games that don't implement the same technologies and complaining, there's no point doing it now.