AMD NAVI Radeon 5700 Product Announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Not saying that's a hardware limit just that that is where I see them stopping at current 7nm.

2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    We don't know the power usage yet, just the TDP. If its closer to 180 watts it's possible. Also a new chip on 7nm+ will be more efficient(10%) then of course a large chip will likely run a lower clocks. Im NOT sure if it big navi will be greater than 64CU just wishful thinking from a competition perspective.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It remains to be seen. We do not know Voltage requirements at different clocks and resulting power draw.
    But considering it is 10.3B transistor GPU and 7nm, I say that it is quite a lot of power per transistor. (As usually too high Clock.) Maybe lowering clock characteristics by 10% may lead to 30% lower power draw.
    Making 1.5 times bigger GPU with 0.9x clock rate could easily result in 35% higher performance at 250W. Or even higher performance since this 5700 XT is in "GCN compatibility mode" while not looking like GCN at all. And bigger one is supposed to come with much more different CU arrangement.

Now, important part for Navi is not power draw. That's blown out of proportion in usual fashion. Important is performance per clock per transistor. And at given clock, those transistors do a lot of work. If big one does even more...

4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Not quite sure what you meant about the Vega cards... https://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/news/6/6/66204_21_amd-details-new-navi-powered-radeon-rx-5700-xt.jpg

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Where did you see the TDP? I saw board power some places, which may or may not be official.

Is TDP same as TBP?

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-7nm-navi-gpu-rdna-specs-leak-8-gb-2560-cores/

That article says it isn't.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Power draw is always important. It determines the amount of heat produced. More heat equals either bigger coolers with more fans or more noise from having to spin fans much faster. While yes it can be blown out of proportion by some to say it’s unimportant is a bit out of touch, no?

7. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    This card is competitive and is sucking up the prices nvidia set the bar for, you can thank them. I'll be waiting for big navi in 2020, it better have more goddamn rops by then.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, it is definitely not ?!?out of touch?!? for train of thought to which I replied.

To sum it up for you simply:
    - Original Premise made by JamesSneed: Navi Based chip can be around 450mm^2 and comfortably outperform 2080Ti
    - Denial's Counter: Such GPU would have current (probably meant TDP) as 251mm^2 RX 5700 XT has 225W TBP
    - My realistic outlook: This 251mm^2 GPU is put so high out of comfort zone (like most of AMD's GPUs in last 7 years) that actually lowering clock of this 251mm^2 GPU by 10% may lead to 30% lower power draw if voltage is decreased too. Which itself suddenly makes bigger chip look much more realistic. Especially since I wrote not about almost doubling the chip size, but adding just 50% more transistors.

And to put more blunt perspective:
    RX 5700 => Typical Board Power (Desktop) : 180 W @1625MHz Game Freq
    RX 5700 XT => Typical Board Power (Desktop) : 225 W @1755MHz Game Freq
    RX 5700 XT 50 => Typical Board Power (Desktop) : 235 W @1830MHz Game Freq

You can notice few things:
    - TBP != TDP
    - Disabling around 6% of GPU and reducing clock by 7% results in AMD deciding to have 20% lower TBP
    - 4% higher clock on XT 50 => 4% higher TBP.
    - TBP is matter of choice AMD made. They set certain power limits and GPU stays within them while opportunistically boost clocks if limit is not reached. (Same way as Zen CPUs.)
    - AMD is setting clock range and chip clocks up and down to stay inside predefined power limits. (Thinking otherwise would be far from wise. As that would mean that AMD sets clocks and CPU/GPU eats whatever it eats under given workload...)
    - Clock being under control of Power limit was here even before Excavator APUs where CPU part would downclock as GPU parts ate too many watts.

What this means:
    RX 5700 with limits set to 250W may match 5700 XT as long as it is able to operate at around 1850MHz. (Still under 1905MHz boost clock of 5700 XT and way under 1980MHz boost clock of RX50.)
    Clock of all those GPUs are limited by their power limits. Good Cooling + all bumped limits and you may see those max boost clocks in games.
    - - - -

So back to Bigger Navi:
    AMD can make even 450~500mm^2 GPU as mentioned by JamesSneed and it would stay within predefined TBP/TDP limits while boosting clocks opportunistically.
    Fully utilized by heavy workload... maybe 1550MHz. Badly utilized maybe 1950MHz. AMD's approach and 7nm clock range definitely enable that.

Then, please remember next iteration is coming next year. AMD is not stupid, if they expect that GPU would need more power, they would go for improved 7nm to achive required power efficiency boost.
    - - - -
    Sorry for WOT.

9. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Whoops, my bad! My apologies.

So you didn't watch the stream? The guy that in all games the possible best results were compared in all games (meaning if in 1 game the 2070 was best in D11 and the RX5700XT in DX12/Vulkan, then those results were displayed - this is the fairest comparison possible).

Edit: Nevermind, someone already mentioned. :)

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    July 7 NDA lifts for reviews?

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I’m not disputing what you are saying at all in here. I was saying actual power draw is very much important. Lower power draw means a cooler card. That is all I was saying.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    With that I do agree. 1st thing, I am doing moment we are able to, will be taking control over power and voltage.
    Got RX-580 easily from 185W max to 145W max while it performs as well as when I just unlocked TDP to 240W where it ate mostly between 210~220W.

If we can undervolt efficiently 5700 XT, I can already see higher clock. I'll be definitely bumping power limit too (if possible) just to see how clocks and performance change.

Loophole35 likes this.
  13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    5700 power draw is just fine as is. No need to be lower.
    For one, 5700, as other prior Radeon cards, use a hardware scheduler among other things that make the Radeon Arch. different from Nv. Thus the need for more power.
    IMO, talking about how "high" the tdp of the 5700 is foolishness at best because you don't have a reference to refer to call it high to begin with.

But by all means if there is I'd be the 1st to like to see it.

cowie likes this.
  14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070

This will likely be true however none of us have real power numbers so we don't really know. We have TDP and can calculate max total board power but neither tells us actual power draw. We shall know soon enough.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn you should send that 5700XT back because clearly it has been dropped.
    Lol

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    You'll notice HDMI 2.0b support (not 2.1) ill w8 till cards come out with hdmi 2.1 suport, best buy no is a vega56, most bang4urbuck..

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I think you are right ,there may be no need to under volt.
    but who knows

18. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    Not sure why you are saying performance is terrible for this midrange card and mentioning how good the 2080Ti is in comparison in your first paragraph.

That's chalk and cheese market segment wise.

You are getting previous high end performance for less money. AMD are pitching it to make as much money as possible given the market prices nvidia has chosen for the early adopters.

Navi has a lot of wiggle room for price reductions once the initial honeymoon / fanfare period is over and nvidia responds with prices and specs.

Just wait for the reviews, the bunfight afterwards and then how it settles down.

At least there is now a price pressure going on at long last. :) 2019 is finally when prices go down after the mining bubble burst. You should be happy about that, not moaning. May it continue.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    RX-580 8G costs 1/3rd of what it did during mining times.

20. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    But every generation is previous high end being current mid range performance wise. No change there. Then tweaks.

The issue here is the price after we come off the mining bubble.

In summary I would prefer to be optimistic rather than pessimistic. Vega VII or whatever did seem to be a dead end, but this should not be.