Windows 10 - Tips and Tweaks

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Jul 30, 2015.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
  2. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Ok well I ran that and it didn't seem to help.... No sooner I started the game up it starts to crackle and pop(the stutters are still there, not as bad tho). :(

*Edit*

Hmmm, well I played some GTA5 and it runs great(no stutters or audio pops). I popped Rage 2 up and it stutters and the sound is popping(Metro E same). WTH is going on? So strange.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    sadly the new way to gpedit in home, STILL does not let you set windows update to notifty before download, even it it says it is set in gpedit, had to put connection back metered to stop the automatic download and install on home....

When exactly is MS releasing this update supposedly allow all versions to control those update?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @blitz72

You better continue your troubleshooting in your thread. Copy Latencymon`s report there.

blitz72 likes this.

5. Atri Venitros

Atri Venitros Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    Hi, I stumbled here while trying to fix this issue in my PC. I had spikes up to 30000 at times, mostly to 10000. I've done a lot of tweaks and now I get spikes to around 500 very irregularly, could go for 5 minutes without one. Here's what I've tried, not sure if everything here affects it though. I'm on 1903.
    • Disabled power throttling
    • Increased voltage on my CPU but it didn't seem to affect the latency so I turned it back down.
    • Disabled Windows core parking and Intel's own core parking that they implemented in Skylake CPU's and above. (see here: https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol)
    • Set minimum CPU state to 100% in power settings
    • C-states were already disabled in BIOS on my system
    • Disabling HPET (High Precision Event Timer) in Device manager -> System Devices (Feels like this had the biggest effect)
    This is what my drivers tab looks like after 15minutes of just using the internet.

https://imgur.com/a/LZsWiHb

Since the total execution of Nvidia Kernel Driver and DirectX Graphics Kernel are so high even when basically idling, I thought that maybe the "Prefer maximum performance" in NVIDIA control panel might affect it. I tried it in adaptive just now but it didn't have any effect.

This might just be a quirk of 1903. It doesn't really affect my usage now that it's only around 500. Gonna keep an eye on this thread though in case someone finds a fix.

Edit: I also set audio quality to 16bit 44100hz

6. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    If it helps, I posted my Latencymon results from the current Fast Ring build here https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-10-20h1-build-18912.427027/

Might be worth giving it a try as an extra diagnosis step.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    from what I been reading and have seen from personal use, add gpedit.msc to home only adds gpedit.msc but not the functionality of it

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do you know that since Win7 you can click and hold the left mouse button on the window`s title bar and shake it left-right to minimize all other windows? And then click and hold and shake again to restore all minimized windows?

Cool feature!

eGGroLLiO and Undying like this.
  9. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I thought that Microsoft stopped free upgrades to Windows 10. Yesterday upgraded a Windows 7 PC to 10 and it is still activated. Or will it deactivate?

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    No, it's activated. I think they left the option open because they want as many people on Win 7 / 8 to get off that dead horse and move on to 10.

11. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    just a quick question, anyone knows a good TOOL that helps backing up all the windows tweaks and configs i did?
    Like Services, reg edits, GPEdit´s, modified DLL´s etc.. Cause its a lot of work getting that all setup again..

if anyone knows such tools, Please do tell..

Best Regards..

edit: for win10 and win7 please...

12. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    I use Acronis True Image Home and have two partitions to offload backups to, one where I do manual backups when I'm confident of the system stability and weekly scheduled automatic backups. You can back up your registry from your registry editor and keep your tweaks/scripts that you ran successfully saved on an external partition or in the cloud.

[​IMG]

BetA likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Scripting is the answer. In PowerShell script (for example) you can control registry keys and values, services, files. Only thing script can`t do is settings in UI which are not backed up by registry/files.

SputNick and BetA like this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm how did you go about doing this upgrade? i have pc at my uncles that is still running win7 that I might as switch it win 10 when I I installing the SSD on to it.
    was it done threw the notifaction of windows 10 they were dioing back then or is there another means to do this.

I fiqure I would ghost win 7 to SSD then do the win 10 upgrade and see what happens

15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I happened to buy an 850evo around the time I wanted to move to Win10.
    So I used Samsung software to clone the win7 drive over to new SSD, then I updated to win10.
    That way I still had win7 boot drive to fall back, which I never needed, so I used the empty space for secondary drive.

What do you get if you run MS update assistant or whatever they called it? I have used it before and works ok, I think it gives you the info before the upgrade but I can't remember if it gives license info.

Found this, a little dated
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
    https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well right now I am in process of clone the HDD to SSD with easeus. Then I gona try upgrade this pc with media creation tool

MS update assistant that got installed on win 7 back then (WGX) ? was never install cause windows update on that pcs install is busted it no longer works

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Upgrade process should be straight up, just log in or create a Microsoft acct to make it super easy

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like said i gona find out, not sure how a athlon 64 dual core with 7 gb will react to window 10, even if it upgrades. if he dont like it or it works much slower then win 7 even on ssd I will just find one of his many old win 7 disk i made him reinstall win7 but i prefer not to do that.

As for making MS account I wont do that I always used local account and he hates that ms account stuff more then I do haha

but win10 better idea for him even if he still perfers win 7

*edit*
    I already ran in to problem I have a 500gb HDD with 190gb it on cloned to the the SSD which is 220gb and I easyus progam wont do cause I think it wasnt 500gb for 500gb drive clone even it it only using 190gb

19. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You are probably trying to force a full clone, including free space.

Also, filling up the SSD with 190GB of stuff on a 220GB won't fit very well. Formatted, it'll be less than 200GB, and SSDs that are stuffed don't perform very well.

20. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I just downloaded Win 10 on usb drive and did an in-place upgrade within Windows 7. No need for Microsoft account either.