AMD NAVI Radeon 5700 Product Announcement thread

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 10, 2019.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    A lot of hype these days for anything PC related. It is out of control. However these little 251mm^2 chips are going toe to toe with Nvidia's 445mm^2 2070 is pretty decent. Pricing could be better and I think it will come down under MSRP in a couple months. I would have been more impressed if AMD released big Navi now that in its halo product was close to 2080ti performance.

OnnA likes this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm guessing that's what the 5800 or 5900 series will be. For this season, AMD seems to be starting off big, but not huge. They seem to be deliberately holding back the 16-core AM4 models and Threadripper too, for example.
    Just as well - AMD needs more time to improve the RDNA drivers. Nobody [should] have high expectations for a mid-range GPU, so, even if the drivers are mediocre, the performance should still fall roughly where people expect it to. By the time drivers are more optimized, that might be when we see the higher-end models.

HandR likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Mere die shrink of 2060 will make it more expensive to make than 5700 XT as it has more transistors. Wanna give it additional 2GB, pay for bigger IMC.

As for 5700 XT manufacturing cost. Chip ($110), memory ($80), PCB, SMDs, cooling. Together it is around $240. Will be sold in case of full GPU for $450 and cut down for $375. (take away what supply chain will.)
    Do you really expect nVidia to make more expensive chip, create whole card for around $260 and then sell it for $250?

4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @schmidtbag Mature drivers and Im sure AMD can only do so much at one time. I expect TSMC to also mature there 7nm process to get yields up.

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    It's definitely high. You would need to cut a good 50$ imo.

No we don't. And that's why i'll probably still be on my 1070 next year waiting for a worthwhile upgrade not costing me almost a grand CAD. No seeing this upgrade from both camp anytime soon unless the non-reference 2070 Super somehow can be bought for 500-600$ CAD and this wont happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  6. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    Any more info about the "Big Navi"? Really excited for this one, especially if it'll have HW Raytracing. I hope it'll be out sooonish - I really want to upgrade my R9 290 4GB for Cyberpunk 2077, but so far the only valid replacement from AMD's side was Vega, which was a bit pricey.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    AMD probably had to make real choices due to the limits of the 7nm production capabilities. I reckon that's the reason why there are no new Threadrippers in sight. They rather want to concentrate on EPYC, in addition to the models of the more mainstream consumer CPUs they expect to sell the most. Might also be the reason for the APU 3000 series not using Zen2 at all. The same goes for the GPU side, most likely.

8. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Big Navi maybe first half of 2020.

9. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Maybe because 99.9% of all games currently available are other than Vulkan? Just a thought...;)

Lol...;) Probably 1% of all 3d gamers own an $800-$1.3k 2080Ti, don't ya' know...

Realize, though, that with the 7nm prices, AMD has dropped the bottom out of Vega56/64 prices, at the same time. They'll be clearing that inventory quickly, I'd imagine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's not double post here. There's an edit button for a reason.

Loophole35 likes this.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    OK, I see you are speaking to yours truly...;) I moved to edit and found you'd beat me to it. I seem to recall a time when this forum would automatically combine posts. Seems like there's time limit on that, however--but maybe not. BTW, I always thought "double posting" was posting the same thing twice...?

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    What few Vulkan games are there are highly popular, Wolfenstein, Rage 2, Doom, etc., so they do merit a place in reviews.

Maddness likes this.
  13. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    Agreed. Vulkan also supports Linux which is a big consideration for some.

14. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Not a big fan of the pre-melted look of the standard cooler :(
    Can't we just do that ourselves?

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Hilbert managed to capture Sampsa together with RX 5700 XT... :D

16. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    If you aren't happy then why don't you go work for AMD and save them. We should be very fortunate AMD is still around. Thank Raja for the slow progress in the GPU department. AMD has good cards for the money for the majority of PC gaming users. REMEMBER : INTEL has been stealing a good amount of AMD GPU employee's for the last 8-12 months. I think once AMD starts making good money from the CPU/server side they will pour more cash into the GPU side of their business and will be neck to neck with Nvidia's top GPU. Patience.................................

17. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    IF Radeon VII that is just Vega64 shrink to 7nm could OC around 2100MHZ with it's more complicated and bigger die- I believe that Navi could OC at least as same as VII -around 2200MHZ[They emphasized that RDNA was designed for high clocks], so if it's running around 1755MHZ "GAME CLOCK" then with OC to 2100~2200MHZ we are talking about ~25% Performance gain potential with OCing. RTX 2070 already boost's around 1900~1950MHZ so the OC headroom is just around 5~10%.

OnnA likes this.
  18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Like many others have already said, the prices are too high!!! GPU prices are becoming simply stupid...

Also the lack of Ray Tracing support doesn´t bode well for it...

Maddness likes this.
  19. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I don't think I've ever been so disappointed (LIVID actually!) with AMD, they should have been our salvation from nVidias bonkers prices.... but no! Don't think I'll bother upgrading anything (CPU or GPU) for a while now.

Well done AMD you've saved my wallet :rolleyes:

OnnA likes this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Why do people think prices are set in stone? These may be the prices at launch and weeks to follow, but they have full freedom to adjust them as they see fit. Tbh, wouldnt be surprised if they go down $50 ($399 & 329) after Nvidia outs their refreshes.

HandR likes this.