[Rumor] NVIDIA Super: Refreshes GeForce RTX 2060 ($249), 2070 ($399), 2080 ($599)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by EL1TE, Jun 2, 2019.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    AMD cards incl RX 570 and 470 (and above) can easily handle LG and Samsung TV's...the only difference between Freesync and Freesync 2 is 10 bit video (i.e. HDR) and the cards do both.
    i've already tried the Radeon VII with LG OLED and it works well.
    beware of burn-in tho'

Nvidia is expert at cock-blocking AMD. it's not that difficult and they really get off on it.
    which is childish, but it is the personality of Jen that carries through the company.

no company is better at uArch for gpu's - period.
    Navi is an excellent "clean sheet" design, which AMD absolutely needed to pursue and it will do wonders for the bottom line. i absolutely believe in AMD under Lisa Su, but that does not make AMD a better gpu.
    Navi is the (almost) clean break from the past that AMD has needed for over a decade. the performance of Navi is outstanding and will do better than Nvidia at the price point.

the real challenge for gpu dominance will come from Arcturus which will have the full implementation of the "chiplet" design. and whatever Nvidia or Intel has or does at that point will be irrelevant because at that point any target (incl. fps and power) can be dealt with by spec (i.e. number of "chiplets" on gpu).
    not to mention 7nm++

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    TF.

Why all the politics talk here? No. No. Just no.

Back on topic.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Whenever AMD releases a new series, you always want to wait a year for drivers to mature.
    Whenever Nvidia releases a new series, you always want to wait a year because they'll release a refresh of the same thing with better-binned chips for the same price (and if they're not the same price, the obsoleted parts will get cheaper).

tunejunky and HandR like this.
  4. DDRSAM

DDRSAM Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1070 8gb
    So many times i've been tempted to upgrade my 1070.... I'M SO GLAD I WAITED lol. RTX 2070S Here we come!

5. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    What else? Those who don't know better will be the candidates. Like what happened with the GT 1030 with DD3 Memory.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The prices were fine (and correct) for a product with no equal in terms of capability (RTX and DLSS) at the time, just like when Compact Disk came out, Just like when DVD came out.

The market responded quite well to the new tech, the pricing was consistent with a limited run product to gauge the waters, the refresh would be cheaper because it will be produced with market saturation in mind and with chip tuning having been done to get the chip as perfect as GF110 was compared to GF100.

TU10x was intended to be a interrim product all along.

7. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Atm nvidia 14nm " rtx 2080 " is a bit faster than 7nm " Radeon VII " for the same price in my country ( hardware unboxed and Guru3d reviews ) .

8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    if I can really get a RTX 2060 for $249 I'm gonna jump on that!

PS: I might have to eat romaine noodles for a week!...$0.20 a pack!

[​IMG]

:p

jbscotchman and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Hey!...great idea!...we gotta move your recipe over to the cooking thread!
    :p

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah right you give up barbeque for noodles that's a laugh :rolleyes:

:D

alanm, airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sometimes, and this might be one of them; I get the feeling we are paying for nvidia to do R & D...

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Maybe, but if you look at that, you also pay for AMD R&D when you buy their cards... but I get what you're trying to say @Loobyluggs
    I tend to look at it that way: I buy a graphics card. Most of the money is spent on marketing anyways, and generally, what a company (or the AIB and the chipmaker) does / do with that money is beyond my influence. If I don't like it, I don't buy it.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Of course we do, how do you think they pay all these elite people at both Nvidia and AMD?

It's like eating out. Why do people pay say £15 for fish and chips when you can make it yourself for a lot less? You pay for the chef's wages, you pay for front of house wages, you pay for the running cost of the place...

airbud7 likes this.
  14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I couldn't make a graphics card in my kitchen tbh :D

airbud7 and metagamer like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Sometimes i worry that you're not fully attached to reality.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Navi needs to be damn impressive if they want to compete with this.

17. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Code:
    It's like you've been not paying attention at all to how Capitalism works. It basically controls how you live your life and your experiences every single day... C'mon man, wake up.

If you're paying attention in life nothing about Capitalism should surprise you
    When a company prices its own products so high that they are out of reach of the vast majority of it's target consumers - traditional (well-profiled) and new - then, that's a serious and inexcusable business failure. Capitalism only works if an acceptable level of the target audience is willing to buy. Nvidia made a very serious error. They effectively pissed off significant numbers of their traditional consumers - consumers who had been sitting on 10xx and earlier series + AMD cards...many of which would have been willing to upgrade. RTX (a feature set introduction to be applauded) - the primary driver for Nvidia's high pricing is, in it's current state, significantly under-powered, requiring substantial developer>consumer compromises. In hindsight, Nvidia's original presentation was 'somewhat' misleading. AMD stand to capitalise.
    Back to capitalism: competition is good.

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    They'll be good cards, no doubt. I don't see AMD selling them cheaper than Nvidia equivalent card, which could be an issue for some. I got my 2080 close to these new prices btw, I'm sure quite a few did.

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You're forgetting that AMD are no better than Nvidia. Remember the 980ti? Nvidia top dog. FuryX comes out a few months later and costs more. Same with VII vs 2080. 2080 outperformed the VII more often than not and it cost no more than the VII. High end is just that. Diminishing returns.

It's like saying that Ferrari priced themselves out of many people's budget. Sure, but that's their target audience, the riches. The £1200+ Nvidia gpus are also pretty much just that. They're not for everyone, they're for those who can afford them. And I'm pretty sure there's some wise people at Nvidia (and AMD) who see a market for these cards. Otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Jayp and airbud7 like this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Capitalism also involves risky long term strategies that dont immediately pay off in the short term. I dont think Nvidia made an "error" with RTX, it was a risky move and they were very aware of the potential short term consequences (despite them saying that RTX card sales were "lower than expected"). They may be fast approaching a dead end with normal rasterization and process shrinks which could see their graphics business fail to develop much further in a few years. They need new things to spice up their game and RTX is it. As disappointing it may be in the initial stages, it may eventually inject a second wind in their business to keep them going for longer than would have been possible otherwise.

The may "piss off' a few consumers in the process, but this is a very rapid turn-over business where consumers have short attention spans. All it takes is for Nvidia to release newer GPUs with killer price/perf and all past failures are forgiven.

airbud7 likes this.