Baldurs's Gate III Announced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Larian Studios has announced Baldur's Gate III for PC and Stadia. Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary serie...

Baldurs's Gate III Announced

__hollywood|meo and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Cthulhu Fhtagn?

emperorsfist and Exodite like this.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ooooo baby! Didn’t see this coming.

Can’t wait.

6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    When I played the original trilogy from start to finish back in it's time, I was gone for a full month. I remember that as the greatest RPG of all times, not Witcher 3. The new one will have a hard time to live up to that.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I would have found this to be exciting news about 15 years ago. A lot has changed since then. I'm not getting my hopes up. Remember the 3rd act of The Godfather? I suspect we're heading there...

Prince Valiant likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Mindflayers.
    If I can get my friends back and play old character too I may be tempted.

But story delivery format of all those classical AD&D games is very outdated today. It can be seen on new Pillars/Divinity. Those are good games, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy them way I did 20 years ago.

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Hoooooooooooooooooolly s**t !!!! HELL YES !!!!!

10. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Same here. If they were going to revive a series I think Icewind Dale would've been a better choice or Neverwinter Nights which might be a better fit for Larian (different gameplay expectations).

I still find it more enjoyable than more modern styles and prefer it over fully voiced games with scads of cutscenes. I dumped 91h into PoE & WM and had a lot of fun with it.

Fox2232 likes this.

11. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    I'm pretty much 10/10 excited for this. Like everyone else the originals were basically the best games I've ever played (Dragon Age Origins and Witcher 3 though have really represented the near-perfect RPG in more modern times).

I agree that the "story delivery format" from back then is outdated today but I've seriously enjoyed the pillars of eternity style games and absolutely loved divinity original sin 2 - it's just too bad they put so much effort into the early game vs mid/late game in that particular case.

I have faith that Larian has what it takes to make this great - the first half of D:OS2 was really fantastic and really shined through with the type of depth that BG3 will need

12. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I'm pumped. I agree with what a lot of you are saying, as much as I love old-school isometric RPGs I'm hopeful they'll be able to update some elements so it doesn't feel too dated while retaining what made those games so much fun. I'm going to try to keep my expectations low but this is one of the few recent game announcements where I'm really rooting for 'em.

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    It's a great challenge for Larian--but if anyone can pull it off it would be Larian. I feel very confident that it will not seek to precisely imitate the presentation of the earlier games ~15 years ago--which was constrained totally by the tech in wide use at the time. I would expect the flavor and atmosphere and lore of the earlier games, however, certainly. With everything else brought up to modern standards. One thing I know Larian will not do is to make an entirely new game and just slap the Baldur's Gate III logo on it just to sell it! (a la' "Gothic 4" :eek: )

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I recently played the two PoE games and Tyranny and sunk some good 3-400 hours combined in them, so I'm really excited for this! I too think that it won't be a big hit with the new generation, hell, it was VERY hard for me to get back into the old-school isometric RPG style, but once I did, it was fantastic. If this new Baldur's Gate will do good, maybe there's a chance of some remaster of the old ones as well, that would be cool.

15. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Yeah but can we carry over our previous progress from 1 and 2? ;)

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Such games should never be thought to be played with a fuçking gamepad.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's made by the studio that developed Divinity: Original Sin 2, so I have high hopes it's going to be a proper computer RPG. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment...

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Except Stadia requires a gamepad. I never seen a PC game supporting gamepad where the gameplay is not affected by it.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Divinity has gamepad support I think? Didn't seem to suffer from it.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    id say diablo 3 works pretty great on ps4