Recent drivers are unstable for RX 480

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by red00, Jun 6, 2019.

1. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Hello ... I have a serious problem with recent drivers on my RX 480 8GB.

Since the driver released for Sekiro, I have this problem that my card seems to work a bit slower. My PC start-ups and in-game loadings seem to take a bit longer, and this is not everything. The main problem is that, in heavy enough games, in scenes where the screen is full of effects, specially scenes like explosions, burning buildings, sparkles, etc where my card is working with fans on high speed, and is under certain high level of processing, suddenly (usually after a big explosion or when I wait for too long in an area that's full of magical/burning effects) my monitor goes black (like in stand by mode) and my card's fans begin to roar like crazy at fullest speed, and I have no other choice but to turn off pc manually. even restarting won't work and my card remains in its miserable situation until I manually press power button.

I switched back my driver to an older version (19.2.1) and now not only my loadings are a bit faster, and my windows works a bit faster in general, and even thought the performance is the same and my gpu is processing the same data and same heavy games and scenes, it NEVER crashes like how I described above.

Win 10 Pro (updated)

MSI RX 480 8GB OC

16 GB RAM

i7 4790K

Any help will be appreciated. should I skip upgrading my driver forever from now on? :(

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    CASE Airflow. Heatsink Dust. TIM between GPU and Heatsink.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Monitor you clocks/usage/temps while gaming. You'll have a clue what is going on when the card crashes.

4. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Case is open and looks dust free. How can it be a temperature problem while it never crashes with older drivers?

How do I do that? this happens in game. and when it happens, as I said monitor goes in stand by mode and I can't see anything untill I completely turnoff and turn on the pc again.

5. hackslashX

hackslashX Guest

GPU:
    RX 580 / 4 GiB
    You can try using AMD Link. Pair your computer and smartphone. All stats such as temperature, utilization, clocks will be visible on your smartphone. You can then check for any abnormalities that occur while you're gaming.

SpajdrEX likes this.
  6. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I did a quick test with Radeon Settings. During my test temperature barely passed 64 C at worst situations. other values and numbers seemed steady in my eyes, However GPU PWR factor was the most unstable one. it went up from 40-50 W in game, to 80 and sometimes 90W. I did not have any crash during my test this time. but whenever that factor went high and got close to 90, I felt the system's getting unstable and is close to crash.
    I know this test might not be reliable but thought it's better to share it with you guys.

7. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    What kind of PSU do you have and how old is it? Only way to test the GPU is to get another one and see if it crashes.

LocoDiceGR and SpajdrEX like this.
  8. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    750 W green. and it's 6 years old.

9. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I just searched the net. other people with same exact problem like mine claimed the culprit here might be PSU. Their description of problems is exactly like mine:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gpu-crashes-fans-100.251266/
    https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-crashing-under-load.3264269/

Take a look guys, and please, could you guide me how I can limit my card's power in favor of my possibly damaged PSU? to work a bit longer for a while? I currently have no budget to change the PSU.

10. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Just keep the driver that works, until you buy a new PSU.

11. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Is your cpu OCed??
    If so, try dropping the OC and see if that helps until you get a new PSU.
    I have that cpu, although it OC's great ... It runs hot and is a power hog.

12. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Nope, it's not.

13. red00

red00 Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I noticed these older ones also sometimes crash.

14. Guns1

Guns1 New Member

GPU:
    rx 470 4Gb
    IMHO, your GPU is faulty. Try to lower a core clock a little.

15. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    A PSU will degrade over time slowly getting worse. See if you can borrow a PSU from someone else just to make sure your PSU is fine.

16. paulco

paulco Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX6900XT
    Read some (name of game) graphics performance tweak guides, lower some settings that may be overtaxing the card.