Possible Solution For DX12 Stutter In Individual Games->EG:Metro Exodus/BF5

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by gerardfraser, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    It allows Windows to bypass API calls, etc. DirectX 12's has a different frame rendering than DirectX 11. This is interesting. So, we need to not only make an Antivirus exclusion, but Exploit protection exclusion. Makes sense. I will try this.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    No. But you can try the tweak anyway.

3. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Hmm....I think it allows bypassing of API checks or encryptions, validations, memory randomization. Not the code...yea. It would have to be measured, but I added the NVIDIA files from the install directory instead. When I added the games, I had some strange loading behaviors. Some games would take a longer time to load.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Mitigation discussed in this thread just controls the addresses used for indirect jumps - for example instruction "ret". At first stage - when the executable binary is compiled and linked - information about all legit addresses participating in such indirect jumps is collected and guarding calls of special functions are inserted in certain places. At second stage - during the load of executable binary by the OS and during execution - all legit addresses is taken to account and all indirect jumps are controlled with the help of guard functions.

Memory randomization is another independent mitigation.

5. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Yea. I had to look at that again but is researching what types of exploit patterns they used to inspect the application process. Are these patterns and checks affecting anything? Do they affect performance in memory and the CPU? What about Southbridge devices?

One mitigation I have been observing was the use of high entropy ASLR; Most Triple A games like Overwatch, Battlefield V, etc are well over 4 GB and applying these techniques over a video game doesn't make sense unless the exploit was developed and demonstrated. To contradict that statement, I guess some gamers like to use applications that will inject code a lot on the PC, so I can see where Microsoft says, "except for these 9 apps, apply mitigation over every file.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This mitigation - when implemented in binary file itself and combined with the OS part - takes some CPU time on every indirect jump in the code of the program. But that penalty should be very little by the measure of modern CPUs.
    It protects process against attacks when hacker already injected some malicious code into the process and tries to switch the execution from legit code of process to injected one.

This mitigation is applied namely at the very start of the process - when it is loaded into memory by the OS kernel. After process starts to execute its code there is no penalties. Mitigation just randomize the layout of process` segments when process is loaded.

If your computer is not the target of organized attack you can switch off all mitigations globally. But if you computer has constant connection to internet, it can become the target of automated attack - to take control of it to include into bot net, for example.

INSTG8R likes this.
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone tried this with Division 2? I do get some stutters in that game so I'll give it a shot after work.

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Just about to try, but i'm running it in DX11 due to crashes with DX12.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I tried it, zero difference :) The spikes are due to something else I guess.

signex likes this.
  10. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I did notice an improvement in The Evil Within 2 (following an earlier post in this thread), which surprised me, seeing how that's a DX11 game.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This tweak has nothing to do with the version of DX. Connection to DX12 is only in the time of release - CFG mitigation was introduced in 2014 (and the kernel of Windows is built with CFG only since Win10 v1703).

12. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I see. Still, it's an interesting find. At first I thought it was a placebo, but TEW2 has several issues (including low CPU/GPU usage - never patched), so it's noticeable when it starts performing better than usual.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im sure its a placebo or some overclock you've done lately showing some higher numbers. Nothing to do with the tweak.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  14. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I haven't messed with overclocking lately (since all is stable), but idk.

Undying likes this.
  15. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    I'm on 1903 May update and I can't find a menu for Exploit Protection anywhere.

Edit: Found it. Never mind.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Better solution: learn to use an operating system without any scam fraud antimalware at all..

Undying likes this.
  17. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I decided to try this out or myself, and i must say that it does help alot. however i took it a bit further for some games like PUBG and SCUM. Instead of only turning of the "CFG" i am actually overriding all the OS defaults, and turn ALL the different "protections" to "OFF" (atleast the ones that are on).

For me even in ALL games i have NO stutter whatsoever. On PUBG i would notice micro stutters every 2-5 seconds > now these are gone.

In SCUM > which is very poorly optimized > even in a "local" game i would get a massive fram drop / freeze every 5/20seconds > as soon as i started moving my in game character. These are now gone.

I have done the same for Anthem and Insurgency:Sandstorm fro mthe getgo so im not even sure i would have stutters in those games.

Just some additional info about my setup and some tweaks that i have done:

-Ryzen 1700x @ 4.0GHZ (all powerseving, eco stuff is off in bios).
    -32GB DDR4 @ 3000 mhz (couldn't get it higher because my system would get unstable,, and i do not understand how the timing calculator works)
    -500GB M.2 Samsung SSD
    -RTX 2080, no OC at the moment.

All latest drivers. Windows hasnt updated to the latest yet

• In windows i use the "MSI utility" to get MSI mode for all the devices that support it.
    • I have used "Black vipers Windows 10 service config" on Tweaked settings.
    • I have disabled all "non critical" startup programs > only discord, steam and the corsair software load on startup.
    • I have disabled Windows features like printing etc. that i dont use.
    • And i have set up the .exe schedule to empty Windows standby memory every 15 minutes (not that i really need it).
    • Also i have Disabled all possible settings with Win10Privacy that i could.
    • Disabled Defender scanning etc from windows group policy.

I am curious if there is anyone here that is willing to test it out aswel, to verify that i'm not crazy. Im not sure what the risks are of having everything "OFF". So please use it at your own Risk.

Anybody willing to try this out, on a game which they KNOW is a freezefest? Thank you

18. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    While I'm glad that you've managed to alleviate a lot of your problems, turning these things off globally may not be the best idea...

19. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Yeah i know, but honestly > i dont really care tbf > if my pc would go to crap, ill just reinstall..
    As long as i can play stutterfree :)

And again, if there is anyone who can explain some of it that would be kewl.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Explain what exactly? You listed a tons of tweaks. As for excluding exe-file from Windows Defender "attention" - it can have positive performance effect. Some settings there are applied only at the start of the process (memory randomization settings). Some should take effect during execution (DEP, CFG, SEHOP, heap integrity) - these protections require some extra code during execution, but with the modern CPU speeds several CPU instructions here and there should not cause heavy stutters.