Best windows 10 build

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by gabsvm, Jun 2, 2019.

1. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Which one is best overall? I read a lot that 1607 and LTSB are the best in terms of game smoothness. Which one you use or recommend? Im currently on 1903. i5 3450, 8gb ddr3 1333mhz

2. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    it doesnt matter, just turn off background programs

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  3. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
  4. It's called Windows 7.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    The one which works best on your rig.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Whatever the most recent version is

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you keep saying this nonsense

but borderless doesn't and has never bypassed dwm unless the application explicitly sets it (see nevcairiels post)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Borderless-Fullscreen *can* bypass DWM though, its called "DirectFlip", where the swapchain of the application is used directly instead of going through DWM, as long as its covering the entire screen and not obscured by anything else.
    This is not automatic however, 3D applications/Games have to specifically implement it. Its mandatory for D3D12, and as far as I can tell also works both in 1809 and 1903.

You can tell if it works in one simple way if you have GSYNC and a screen that can properly indicate if GSYNC is on and/or show you the GSYNC refresh rate. If you disabled windowed GSYNC, and only enable fullscreen GSYNC (which is how I normally roll, since windowed GSYNC is glitchy in my experience), then games running in DirectFlip will still engage GSYNC, while those borderless-fullscreen games that don't use it will not engage GSYNC. D3D12 borderless-fullscreen games always work with GSYNC for me, and some D3D11 titles do as well if they opt into the new flip mode.

In short, by-passing DWM is a thing, but it still works for me on 1809 and 1903.

9. Djavulen

Djavulen Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    Yes, it works just fine in 1809 and 1903 in D3D12. However like you mention, it's with DirectFlip. An official way. My guess is 1709 is the last Windows version where users could bypass DWM in any other means, maybe even disable it.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

thanks, i knew of directflip, I've seen nevermind going on about this for just about over a year and a half now talking about games i know don't use it.

There was never a way to bypass it apart from directflip.

disable dwm on a borderless fullscreen app not usin directflip and you didn't get anything except tearing as no sync would be applied at all.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no you weren't.

more nonsense!

12. BoxChevy

BoxChevy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix OC 3090
    1903 has been alotttt better gaming wise. Not much stutter outside of the dx12 hitch here and there.

Strange Times likes this.
  13. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Any reliable tests on how 1903 performs compared to 1809?

14. julcio86

julcio86 Guest

For this spec i rec. win10 enterpirise LTSB 1607 14393.xxxxx i tested many ver. Win10 & i think for low specs (i use i5 7400/ gtx1060) is best. But i dont test over ver 18xx.

15. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I only have 3dMark tests done and I get a higher score for the rest 1903 is just a normal Daily driver

16. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    The latest Pro version of Windows is almost always the best. Turning off background programs/tasks should be negligible, unless an app is misbehaving or attempting to use dependencies that are missing, etc.

17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Sigh...
    Caveat: I have Meltdown and Spectre disable via the InSpectre tool to maintain consistency and performance across various Windows 10 versions and patches. BIOS is updated to the latest ucode.

My bench scores for everything I run consistently, Batman AA games, built in benches, same for Metro series, Dirt series, Ghost Recon. 3Dmark, PCMark. Every single one has either increased slightly over time due to game patches and driver updates or is within the MoE. I suspect that is the same for 100% of users unless there's an issue with their system.

Lastly, enabling the mitigations, does not impact those bench scores, it does however significantly impact SSD performance in my case and makes the Windows UI seem 'stuttery' or 'jittery'. It's hard to describe. As if moving a window around does not seem as smooth.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Why would SSD speed hurt moving around windows?? Moving windows around is smooth even running Windows 10 on a HDD.

19. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    1903. Some games have higher fps and lesser frametime spikes.

20. ocsystem

ocsystem Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6600xt
    win7 is still the king.
    win10 is crap. one example is loading time. witness the circle spinning....

geronimo666 likes this.