Phison PS5016-E16 and PS5019-E19 PCIe 4.0 Client SSD Controllers - AMD Invested Heavily

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    RAM-speed storage :D

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Only an order of magnitude off, but thats ok! What is 10x difference anyway..

DeskStar likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not so long ago, RAM was slower than those drives.

5. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    This is a good lesson for AMD. If you believe in your stuff, you have to invest in it, in partnerships, in advertisement, etc. Sure, good products will sell on their own, but these kind of partnership, really do improve things a whole lot more.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    AHAHAHAHAHAH

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Same could be said about the capabilities of the CPU....

Love how tech moves and advances....so much powah these days.

My OnePlus Pro has almost as much computational power as my desktop and that is a damn cell phone!!

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

exactly. in America we say "put your money where your mouth is", which is precisely what AMD has done, not just with Phison, but also TSMC. when you do not have the scale of Intel (and even if you do) it is best to make alliances if you plan on creating an ecosystem (or if you're Apple you just buy the companies).
    this is what's really getting under the skin of Intel - new processes, new uArch, new I/O...and better everything incl. "moar cores".
    while this will not eclipse Intel, it will do to market share in the U.S. what Ryzen did in Germany.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A little odd they target gaming, seeing as the performance difference between SATA and NVMe for gaming load times is pretty minimal. Best-case scenario, you might shave off around 5 seconds.

However, at up to 8TB, I could see how this could really be ideal for super high-res or high framerate video editing.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Lisa Su is savvy as F. Having vendors show off drives pulling in 5GB/s prior to launch was a great plan. Nice to hear how this just didn't happen naturally but was planned and invested by AMD. Very happy they are thinking along these lines this is what is going to allow AMD to get some market share, momentum.

carnivore and anticupidon like this.

11. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I cannot wait for Samsung to start making M.2 NVMe drives with PCI-e 4.0 speeds and a new controller. I want the Samsung NVMe 980 Pro!

12. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    You can do what I did, I just ditched my 512 970 Pro for 2 x XPG SX8200 Pros in Raid 0 on a mini-ITX. 4GB write, 6GB read. Many of the full-size boards have 3 NVMe slots now.

You can't go wrong either way. It's amazing how cheap storage has become with 3D stacking. DRAM prices to follow.

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    AMD has been doing things like this for much of its history. As tunejunky says, it's leveraging every advantage against the financial might of Intel, not to mention Intel's ability to mount massive and often completely false/misleading ad campaigns. And it's just as advantageous for the partnering companies as it is for AMD.

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, there is a lot of misleading information about RAID 0 still circulating--like the complaint that it has no fault tolerance, for instance. However, there is no fault tolerance with standard IDE/AHCI drives, either! You lose one drive in a two-drive RAID 0 configuration, you lose all your data--however, if you lose your single IDE/AHCI drive--you also lose all your data. Lots of old wives' tales about RAID 0, unfortunately. I used RAID 0 for many years without incident--but I will add the caveat that it's done better, I think, with a dedicated hardware controller--but that's just me thinking back. AMD's x370/x470 motherboard RAID 0 support seems very solid from all accounts.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080

People talk about fault tolerance in relation to raid 0 because the rate of failure is increased, not the same as a single drive. Also because if you have two drives it's worth noting that you could mirror those drives for a performance/storage tradeoff, vs having no fault tolerance. Which isn't even an option to talk about with a single drive. It's not a old wives tale, it's just something you mention because the user having two drives enables you to talk about it lol

16. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I don't know that the rate of failure is increased, but the potential definitely is doubled. I think fault tolerance is an enterprise issue as they're usually running 24/7 and there are still a lot of physical platters in the enterprise. That is slowly changing as the cost of enterprise ssds comes down. With physical disks and early 2.5" SSDs at the consumer level the rate of failure may have been high, but m.2, I think it's a non-issue nowadays. Having said that, Macrium reflect is on an automated schedule, it gives me a sense of security. It's awesome.

17. Jonup

Jonup Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Where is the info on PS5019-E19? It's only mentioned in the title.

18. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb

the PS5016-E16 for high-end drives, as well as the PS5019-E19 for mainstream drives. The E16 has eight 800 MT/s NAND channels for ultimate parallelism and sequential read performance of up to 5 GB/s (write speeds depend on the actual chips/SSD capacity, in the best case scenario it is said to reach up to 4.4 GB/s), whereas the E19 has four NAND channels to minimize the die size and cost.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/1444...9e19-the-worlds-first-pcie-40-ssd-controllers

19. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Absolutely. I connected a sub-$100 4TB external bus-powered drive and have Reflect back up (image) my Windows system to it every day. Even the free version will do rapid incremental backups in the background, which is perfect. This gives me months of near-daily recovery ability. Set it and forget it.

Thank you Macrium for a free, industrial-strength, and in my years of usage bulletproof imaging app. Apologies for going OT; it's just that people should be aware of this rarely-mentioned but excellent product and what you can easily do with it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019