Windows 10 May 2019 Update Causing Issues For Some AMD Ryzen PCs, Fix In This item

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I wonder if quality of Win10 will improve once they cut Win7 off in 2020.

3. DinJerr McGraw

DinJerr McGraw Guest

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2060
    Sigh. Microsoft should really look into increasing the volume its Insider users. Give them incentives like Windows Store credits or anything. Get more beta testers into the process. Have more inhouse server builds in the program as well. For such a bug to exist in the release update is disappointing.

Cave Waverider and Ricardo like this.
  4. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    No, they use consumers for testing unstable updates, theres a policy that stops them using you as a lab rat but gpedit.msc is not included in consumer OS's.

Create DWORD: AllowTelemetry
    in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    value = 0

That will also stop unstable updates being installed.

But 0 only works in Windows 10 Enterprise, Education, IoT and Server editions, 1 is the minimum for consumers out of the 0-3 range.

Last edited: May 31, 2019

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Out of date drivers causing issues, this has been happening for every OS ever since the start of time.

mbk1969 likes this.
  6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    What bothers me is that the changelog is always missing.
    Most users could benefit reading a changelog and understading they cannot upgrade, for how much technical this can be.

If you tell me that windows 10 1903 has a new light theme, improved security and somehow a better browser, and you stop there describing the changes, i cannot guess you broke the driver interface somehow.

Backstabak likes this.
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They could simply provide the driver in the OS installation/upgrade process....
    No, thanks to agile programming.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Microsoft will release a good version of Windows 10 one of these days.

*stares off into the distance*

one of these days.

9. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Have you noticed every time an update causes issues on CPU, that CPU is AMD?

About the updates, my idea would be, 6 months feature updates and 6 quality only updates on the update they released at the beginning. Not 2 feature upgrades per year. That would be ideal.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not CPUs this time but chipsets.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    QA? What QA? :)

12. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    Every time there's a big update to Win10, I cross my fingers, pray even though I don't know and back up my personal files.

13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Good old M$, always keeping things exciting.

14. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    the changelog is better than before that almost none
    if u google up those KB number, you should find something like this : https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4499183
    they do list what changes/fixes, although its better if they pop-up the change-log before update

but for issues/bugs i dont think they know before hands either
    the patch should work in their test-lab without causing any issue, but various pc with various setting, it just bound to happen

15. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    No, the issue is that MS does not do extensive environment replication. Anyone that is in software knows all about this.

Its a pain to replicate a huge number of environments but a company as huge as MS has no excuse.

One possible solution would be for MS to post a warning if you try to do a feature of CU with untested drivers. Just about everyone would get the warning so they likely wont do this.

carnivore, mbk1969 and schmidtbag like this.

16. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    basically u only need to backup C:\Users
    except u saving files to non-default folder, all personal files should saved in there

17. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Well, as long as they have WHQL certification, it is probably assumed that Microsoft has actually tested them...

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not as bad when 1809 launched as far as issues go. Keep trying MS you will finally able to see that 1+1=2 which means at some point they need to release a stable version of Windows 10 out of the box. They should change on how they do things with major updates instead of them releasing updates how they do them now they should do them once or twice a year so they have more time to work out the kinks and bugs so crap like 1809 never happens again.

19. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Tested at the time of certification? Yes.

Tested with all future combinations of OS builds and updates? Clearly this does not happen.

They have the resources to create a pool of virtualized systems with all known certified drivers for impact testing. They just don't do this.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not really. Although I can't speak to old (early 90s and prior) OSes other than DOS, this has largely only been a Windows issue. Apple deliberately breaks driver compatibility, typically only whenever they do a major change with CPUs (like going from PPC to Intel, or requiring SSE 4.x support).
    Aside from the one time Linux ditched HAL a decade ago, pretty much all drivers made for it within the past 15 or so years still work, or can be made to work with a little tweaking (some of the closed-source drivers can be tricky to get going).

However, I don't always think it's such a bad thing Windows driver compatibility breaks so quickly. It helps promote the drivers remain up-to-date. The biggest problem is a lot of the hardware manufacturers just simply don't bother updating anything, so if you don't have the right OS, your device might not be functional.