Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Just came here to say Gears 4 was an amaaazing half game and that it is very kind of microsoft to decide to finally release the other half. /s

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The original Rage was not an open world game, at least not by today's standards. It was more of a hub world. True open world games did not exist back then, as the last gen consoles were far too memory restrained.

Rage 2 is ZeniMax's intellectual property, and not just a game Bethesda happened to publish. To have a another developer not owned by your parent company make your game on their engine is unprecedented as far as I know. ZeniMax has several game engines they own, some of which are capable of doing open world after all, but they still used the Apex engine

I went out of my way to make it clear that I was not insinuating that IdTech could not ever do open world. I even bolded it for God's sake, and STILL you're claiming that I said IdTech cannot ever do open world o_O

Hint, it's the last sentence in my previous post. IdTech 7 which will power Doom Eternal has much more features oriented towards open world or very large sandboxes than previous IdTech engines, so it appears they are moving in that direction.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh there's been a few though the hub design was popular too but Just Cause on XBox and Just Cause 2 on X360 would be traditional open world examples before RAGE though yeah the memory constraints was a issue even with the X360 and PS3 for the time these were around like the walled cities in Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion though also from a performance perspective including multiple zones for the Imperial City itself and it's not like each of the districts were all that large. :)
    (And for Fallout 3 the same plus the walled ruins of Washington D.C itself and all sorts of travels through subway paths linking it up.)

It will be interesting though to see what idTech 7 and DOOM Eternal could do and then we have Wolfenstein Youngblood but it's level oriented and I don't know if they've upgraded to the newest engine or iterated on 6.5 from New Colossus.
    Arkane is helping out as well but I don't think their Void engine factors in for Youngblood and it's also hub world for what Dishonored 2 pulled though the maps sizes and the level of detail was quite impressive. :)

And for Avalanche well they have experience with their own game engine and open world through Just Cause and Mad Max though I wonder how much truth there is to the rumors about Mad Max 2 and it getting re-made into RAGE 2 here though probably with several design changes so there might not be too much of the original left other than perhaps updating the vehicle combat and driving but now without fuel management and less focus on vehicle upgrades.

Curious to see Vulkan being utilized too when Just Cause 4 had references for DirectX 12 in the game exe but it's good to see low-level API usage making a bit of a comeback too after some initial so-so releases other than DOOM 2016 and being on AMD it's a bit skewed for my experiences due to their compliant but not entirely fast OpenGL code in comparison to NVIDIA ha ha. :D

Those memory constraints also really did a number on Thief 3 and Deus Ex Invisible War with small areas dividing the hub even further and even the missions themselves when out of the city hub to name two other examples early on.
    More RAM and additional CPU cores for better threading and of course also GPU performance and streaming has come a long way since as has detail and the size of these game worlds although Rage 2 here uses a smaller area than Mad Max and what Just Cause 2 and 3 had but also packs it more densely so it's less empty or less traveling from one point of interest to another.

Still fairly empty outside of the 10 or so actual missions though and then a bit of reputation grinding to unlock these but it also doesn't overstay it's welcome by trying to pad things out too much I suppose as the shooting can't carry the game on it's own and the story well eh bit so-so but it works for a shooter, enemy variety could be better too but minor complaint and the gangs are fairly diverse at least and it also affects how you attack them and their overall difficulty from the goons to the swamp pigs and then the shrouded though the mutants are mostly fodder and the authority is barely any better in-between the mini bosses they keep re-using.

EDIT: Oh and then there's Far Cry 2 dividing each map part to eight segments I think it was and placing checkpoints near the borders so drive through and the segment gets unloaded and everything seems to respawn immediately. :D

Mercenaries 2 pretty poor PC port aside also had to a degree allowing full destruction but it spawned back just a short distance out instead of being more persitent and when did Red Faction Guerrilla get released again, 2010 so just before Rage 1 then from 2011 ?

Yeah October 2011 for Rage 1 after a quick search. Feels like it's fairly recent but it's been eight years already heh.
    (Then again the tech demonstrations for idTech 4 and Source felt recent and that's 2001 - 2002 so yeah time goes by quickly.)

Megatexture did a nice job for the time though as long as players didn't get up close to the environmental details and props. :)

EDIT: Hello tiredness so this is the Gears of War 5 topic and not Rage 2 in another tab entirely.

Gears of War 1 then from 2006 and for open world well you have Oblivion and a few others, Just Cause 1 from 2006 as well and then there's various hubs and zone based games like Stalker or Crysis from 2006 - 2007 (Though the X360 port came years later.) and some less successful games like Two Worlds 1 and Risen on the RPG category. (Risen on XBox is a pretty rough game low performance and very poor visual quality as I recall.)

FPS or TPS and open world let's see Far Cry 2 would be 2008 I think so a bit later which makes Just Cause 1 one of the earlier examples though it's more action and platforming with shooting as well.

Morrowind got a pretty successful XBox port as well but they do use all sorts of tricks like heavy fog very close to the player to mask the smaller cells and loading without modding the PC version extensively.

First XBox was something like a Pentium CPU and IBM and Microsoft building the hardware then but yeah it would be with the uplift from the X360 and PS3 that this sort of design took form over the prior hubs and level based progression either by design or by necessity from hardware constraint as seen with Thief 3 and Invisible War and others or shorter active zones before it gets unloaded and streams in newer data.

Though Gears 1 was something of a launch title for the X360 also coming out in 2006 but it took another year or two for the developers to gain familiarity with the game engine as usual really so the first games look quite different from what came later. :)
    (Seen in it's sequels also though also the progression of Unreal Engine 3 over time and early games on that to later on with tech like Lightmass for baked illumination and more.)

EDIT: And then thanks to that things became far less brown in color palette. :p
    (And the rise of the bloom shader, gain some, lose some as it's called though well other than some extreme cases like oh Syndicate then it's not outright terrible ha ha.)

EDIT: And a few hours later, yep that's a wall of text alright. wake up, then type. Order is important.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Carfax and Loobyluggs like this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I never said you said that - hence why I said 'to say' in a hypothetical construct.

It was very late at night, so apologies if I didn't make it as clear as you did - I do understand your point.

In my mind, one of the most impressive feats of game engine black magic is GTAV, on the Xbox 360. The fact that game even loads, let alone plays, is gobsmacking to think about. Rockstar must have done a deal with the devil himself to achieve that.

Carfax likes this.

5. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    UE4 at the moment is the easier solution for the mobile games, but overall Cryengine offers much better performance/rendering capabilities.

Btw, this is Crytek's canceled game for Android, and it looks way better then that cartoonish crap:

6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Why do some of you even play games? Sheesh. Negativity @ everything. Anyways, I liked Gears 4. It was a mindless action ride. It ran great, it looked great and it was a summer blockbuster style of game. Know what you're getting into and you'll avoid disappointment. I've played through the single player several times. I'm not much for MP after ...2005? So I can't comment on that. But I enjoyed it and I will buy Gears 5.

Party Poison likes this.
  7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well - I did find it was kinda boring, especially when more times than most, I was able to speed through every stage, by simply running to the exit and 'pulling the lever' 'pushing the button' etc to advance to the next stage.

Totally deflated the experience knowing the enemies would just 'poof' into a different memory registry on the GPU so I could no longer see them.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Gears 4 was really damn good. The only parts I didn't like were the forced wave modes.
    They were obviously just filler, and weren't even "fun" filler.

I hope Gears 5 doesn't reuse that, but, if it does... it would kill the game. I expect it to be fun like 4 was.

anxious_f0x and Serotonin like this.
  9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I still play the hell out of Gears of War 4. MP is super fun and populated still.

Serotonin likes this.
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    But that could be said for all of the games in the series.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Good on them.

Serotonin likes this.
  13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB

Wouldn't know, I only played the last one, mostly because it was free to me...OH! Now I remember! I got it free with my 1070! Man' that was bothering me for days...

But - just because it's in other games, does not mean it is a good function of a game to say "hey, you can just run to the end of the level and finish the level in lickerty-split time." Not good in the slightest.

Giving the player challenges that test new abilities or existing abilities, with a focus on doling out new areas to explore is what makes a game good. Not cut-scenes.

Remember Metroid Prime on the Gamecube? That would not open up areas unless you get the right tool to get you to points on the map(s), and new areas would yield new upgrades and weaponry.

With new powers come new tactics. It should not be New Weapons = more bullet sponged enemies to take the extra damage you can deal with new weapons.

Anthem had this problem. You'd grind for weapons running instanced combat, only to find more instanced combat with higher health/armour to take the damage of the new weapon you grinded for and got.

Just as, there is no interest in running to the end of the level to end the game faster - I played it once all the way through, then uninstalled it. Waste of time.

If this new game is a rinse and repeat of chest-high walls, duck, shoot, duck, shoot, run to next chest-high wall, duck, shoot and so on, then it really is for people who will just run to the end of the levels as fast as possible, get the XP 'tags' on their PS/XB/Steam account, then return it to the shop, and trade it in for another game.

It's f'ing depressing to see and hear of this poop every X number of years, with Gears of War exhibiting the gaming simplicity of a knife and fork.

14. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    bein someone who owns Gears 4 but has never been able to play it cos the MS store is garbage and refuses to download all 100GB the swap to Steam is more than welcome. about time.

yasamoka and Serotonin like this.
  15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Damn, I completely forgot about games like GTA V and the Just Cause series on last gen consoles! It was amazing that they managed to get them to run on those memory constrained pieces of sh!t.

Pretty sure that Wolfenstein Youngblood is going to be on IdTech 6.5, like Wolfenstein 2 TNC. IdTech 7 will make it's debut with Doom Eternal, and some of the features I've seen quoted by developers include support for much greater parallelism, a lot more geometry and texture detail.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Fortnite looks cartoonish I agree, but it's a far more complex game than the one you quoted. The mobile iPhone version in fact, is able to deliver the full fat Fortnite experience as the PC/console and that's quite an accomplishment.

XenthorX likes this.
  18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yeah that's a good move from Microsoft. I wonder if that means it will be coming to EGS as well? If it does, I'll buy it there instead of on Steam.

The Microsoft store has never given me any problems though, and I bought Gears of War Ultimate and Gears of War 4 through that platform.

Serotonin likes this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    *intense happiness noises*

So that's all the Halo games and now Gears 5... Microsoft must be trying to get more happy gamers on PC.

"Microsoft is bringing more games to Steam, says 'We believe you should have choice in where you buy your PC games'"

Shots fired.

The other interesting news is that Microsoft will be allowing Win32 games to be sold on the Windows Store.

Serotonin likes this.
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Now, if they sweeten the deal by bringing Gears 1 and 4 over to Steam. Then announce Gears 2 and 3 for PC... I would be so happy.

emperorsfist likes this.