HUGE frame drops with new 1060 G1

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 27, 2019.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    i finally upgraded my old 960 this week to a new 1060 6GB this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-N...gtx+1060+G1&qid=1558624713&s=computers&sr=1-1

problem is im getting real mixed performance in a lotta game i run some games can hold a solid smooth 60fps

battlefront 2
    shadow of tomb raider *(with scaling on)*
    hellblade
    rage 2
    just cause 4
    overwatch

but other games are a complete nightmare with huge constant sutterin and frame drops from 60 down to 20 or even less with huge pauses and skips as if theres not enough power or somethin

anthem
    evil within 2
    agents of mayhem
    monster hunter world
    quantum break

i know even with the new gpu my specs aint the best and there is mebbe a bottlececk involved

AMD FX 8300 4.4Ghz
    8GB ripjaw dual channel ram
    EVGA 600W White Series 80+ Power Supply
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    1tb SSHD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

help apreciated!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    What resolution are you using and did you do a clean un-install of your old drivers?

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    1920 x 1080 60hz and yer i used DDU to do clean driver install

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You need more system ram and an ssd.

Serotonin likes this.

5. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Increase your system ram to at least 16gb, should be all set for the most part.

Far as hdd, I am using the wd blue 5200 rpm drives as backup, I have tried games on them to see how it will perform, and it performs very well, much better then I originally thought.

Raid 0 on those are good too.

Your gpu is good for 1080p.

Keep the drive your using now, beef your ram to at least 16gb, report back.

8gb is low.

6. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Sorry guys, but, I don't quite agree with your recommendations. You're making him waste money for little gain.

Stone Gargoyle - What you're experiencing is basically CPU-bottlenecking your GPU. Even a 4.4Ghz overclock won't help. More ram might help smooth things out, but, it won't really give you the performance you're missing on.

Here's a quick comparison to see the difference vs better cpu (with older GTX980);

7. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    yer i wasnt sold on the ram solution as i had non of the issue with the 960 before i upgraded so it clear that the 1060 is a bit of a foot step in front of the cpu now compared,, still its not in every game i can play battlefront 2 and wolfenstein 2 at solid 60fps 1080 on high and moving my cpu to high performance mode and gpu to adaptive plus turning off cool n quiet mode has helped a little and reduced stutter. capped fps at 60 to. thx for the input everyone!!! :D

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ram is the culprit here. Im telling you that gaming with 8gb system ram is an issue. The guy above telling you thats not the problem have 32gb, lol.

Btw, hows the firestrike/timespy scores? Post some and let me show you how my 580 will smash it. :p

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    8GB system ram is too low.
    16GB and your stutters will be gone.

I had this same issue back in the day with F.E.A.R - I think 4GB was the norm at the time and I had 1 or 2, I finally budged and upgraded ram and man, what a difference. Now I always keep my system ahead with RAM (32GB currently and 64GB when new consoles hit)

EDIT: Keep in mind, system ram will stop stuttering, it will not magically improve frames. It will make gaming smoother though.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Stormyandcold likes this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    4GB was not the norm at the time of original F.E.A.R. I had a Pentium 4 Northwood, 512mb system ram, and a Geforce 6800 vanilla at that time. It ran choppy with all the settings cranked up, but when I added another 512MB I got double the performance. 4GB if I recall didn't become the norm until around 2008-2009.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Point being is that today, 8GB is a choke-fest.

Serotonin likes this.
  12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think it's CPU, not memory.

Stormyandcold and airbud7 like this.
  13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I'd agree that the combination of an aging processor and marginal memory speed and amount, is impacting your performance. But I think you know that... are we being used to try to argue the 'better half' into another upgrade? :p

Maddness and Stormyandcold like this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I know what you did there.

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    • CPU-heavy games will perform less if compared to stronger CPU's.
    • Whilst the CPU is the limiting factor in frame-rate, moving to good graphic card will provide no increase in frame-rate.
    *ignore the price (below)
    [​IMG]

Stormyandcold and sverek like this.

16. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Evil Within 2 is poorly optimized, it will run with lower than usual CPU and GPU usage on any system no matter the settings. But it still should be about 85% on the GPU so it's a definite CPU bottleneck there.
    The rest of the not-so-well-playable list are very demanding on system memory, amount but also bandwidth.
    I saw a significant change when I recently upgraded my G4560 to Ryzen 1700. I thought at 4K I'm mostly GPU bound and 1070Ti cannot handle more than 30-35fps on new games at that resolution anyway but it seems having 98-100% GPU usage doesn't tell the whole story: in AC Odyssey I had 31fps average at 4K with the Pentium with constant 98+% GPU usage and with Ryzen I get 37 average with the same GPU usage.

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    thx for all the replies everyone of course i will upgrade to 16gb sooner or later im on a very old ASUS M5A78L-M LX AM3+ motherboard *(2011!!!)* on top and know im lucky to get the kind of performance i get in a lot of games

after doin some research i have found that evil within 2 is considered a very poor port regardless of ram

Terrible performance. I would advise to stay away.

My specs: i5-4570 / gtx 1070 / 16gb Ram / SSD

Monitoring with MSI Afterburner, nothing is hitting the ceiling or maxing out, yet in game regardless of settings or fixes, fullscreen or windowed, there are terrible drops and tons of stuttering.

i tried out the resi 2 demo which is pretty similar and that ran like a dream glad i didnt pay that much for EW2

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ok, well...whatever the "norm" was, I was well below it and added 4GB and the stutters in that game were gone.

Caesar and jbscotchman like this.
  19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    gettin closer and closer to eliminating that bottleneck on higher settings thank the stars for vulkan all games should use it!!!

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    the combination of your cpu, ram and the ancient architecture is the culprit here. I know from first hand experience. My brother's rig has a 8320 and 16gb ram and 1070ti and the frame drops are just ridiculous compared to my rig. Even when I had a 1080 (similar to his 1070ti), games would run a LOT smoother on my rig compared to his. It was night and day.

Maddness and Stormyandcold like this.