AMD Announces RX 5000 Series Graphics processors at Computex - Demos RX 5700

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2019.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Nvidia: Mild performance improvements, first generation RTX, high prices
    AMD: MIld performance improvements and better efficiency

Personally will be waiting until the next generation of Nvidia or AMD. Nothing this generation is all that enticing to me playing at 2k.

2. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    First off I was talking about gaming. Also, there are more powerful GPUs than the 2080 Ti for non-gaming workloads that are not limited by PCIe 3.0 with 16 lanes. Sure there could be edge cases. I will accept you providing me a good source showing real world cases where a GPU is limited by 16x PCIe 3.0.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Since they are revisiting the 5000 series of numbers again, are we also going to get a more modern bat mobile like shroud too?

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    AMD confirmed 225w TDP for the higher SKU. Nearly catches it up to the 2070's 175w (195w measured) but it's 14nm vs 7nm. Pretty crazy how efficient Nvidia's architecture is but it's nice to see AMD closing the gap.

Edit: I lied AMD didn't confirm - its a rumor and it's total board power not TDP.

Last edited: May 29, 2019

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-5000-navi-gpu-7nm-asrock-two-variants-report/

"According to our sources, the AMD Radeon RX 5000 series is said to feature two variants, a 180W TDP model with 225W TBP (Total Board Power) and a 150W TDP model with a 180W TBP. AMD showed a demo of their Radeon RX 5700 graphics card against the GeForce RTX 2070 which itself is a 180W TDP graphics card."

Could you provide your source?

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I cannot because I was incorrect in my reporting. I updated my post to reflect that. Sorry =(

Evildead666 and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Let's try to provide facts when available.

Do hope the TDP isn't too much above my 480, while performance is ~2070.
    $499 wouldn't make much sense to me, though...

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    What I would gather the Navi 5700 whatever seems to be Vega 64 but with 150TDP in performance sense.

Actually it could make sense that there would be then 5800 in 180TDP. I hope this is the case lol

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You may have missed AMD saying that 1st of their new architecture will be designed in way that they will have maximum backwards compatibility.
    This means for existing games. And therefore they can reuse most of driver code. That's nice thing as they get to do optimizations of code later.

I went through same changes in driver code Phoronix did and I came to different conclusion than them at same day they had Navi 100% as GCN.
    Nothing through last 4 years pointed towards Navi being GCN. Only people with short memory who seen "Next-Gen" after Navi on roadmap concluded that it means Navi is still GCN, but AMD used that always for anything that did not have officially announced name.

It is funny to imagine MS and SONY sitting in the room with AMD. And AMD making them proposal along the lines: "We can give you Navi, last of GCN and then we will shift our architecture away, giving developers trouble with optimizing for one more architecture for all multi-platform games."

MonstroMart likes this.
  10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Its not like the previous iterations of the consoles used the very latest tech, iirc.
    It will be custom silicon, but on proven tech generally.
    The added value will be in the custom bits i expect ;)

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is CPU and there is GPU. Do you understand fundamental differences in execution of code via those two?

Not? Then:
    With CPU, you have quite slowly evolving instruction set. And main difference in between CPU architectures is in how many instructions you execute in each cycle.
    Consoles used Cat cores which had lower IPC, but still sufficient instruction set. Handling total performance via core count.
    GPUs on other hand have something you can call pipeline. There are stages through which data for images have to go. They are handled differently in each architecture and each has different throughput. Optimize Game for PC Navi with 5 times geometry throughput than Console with 1st gen GCN would have and you are in ugly surprise and need to redesign everything for console release.
    Easiest way to understand is to check comparison of VLIW5 and 4, where VLIW4 lost a lot of performance per CU in older games using more complex shader code as it was optimized to maximize use of VLIW5.

Then consoles used GCN GPUs. Imagine that they had VLIW5 based GPUs (yours: "proven tech") instead for all those years AMD pushed GCN on desktop.
    That would be quite some difference in achievable image quality or performance. Consoles would suffer.
    Getting GCN at its last iteration would be same as 1st Navi will be technologically similar jump as from last Excavator to Zen.

See those 3 things for simplification:
    geometry => shading => rasterization
    Now imagine that Last GCN will have normalized performance of 1 in each category for GPU with 8Billion transistors:
    1 => 1 => 1

Then you have Navi which will have different performance multiplier from this normalized 1 on 8Billion transistor GPU:
    1.75 => 0.85 => 1.35

When you make game primarily for console and port it to PC, you'll have to slightly reduce shader demand and will waste a lot of geometry throughput and some rasterization.
    Or game optimized for PC would have to have drastically reduced geometry demands for console and reduced rasterization requirements too.
    (Who would like to develop games around such differences?)

You can see best and worst case scenarios for AMD and nVidia between Radeon VII and RTX 2080. Total difference there is about like 35% in terms of fps depending on which architecture it was optimized. And one can say that there AMD played generational catch up depending on what nVidia improved and pushed into games. But consoles would already start in bad place while this race desktop would continue.

So, would not it be better to make your gaming console on architecture which would be:
    1 => 1 => 1
    with desktop to level playing field at least at start?

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    It will be interesting to see Navi's performance. In expectation of the upcoming new GPUs, some review sites have recently redone their review tests in May 2019.

Based on the retesting done by two sites, ~10% faster than a 2070 would put Navi on par or better than the Radeon VII with regard to relative performance across games tested. Hopefully other review sites will retest existing benchmarks to avoid any outliers when comparing results across reviews.

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Thats quite a reply.

I was replying to this part of your post : "We can give you Navi, last of GCN and then we will shift our architecture away, giving developers trouble with optimizing for one more architecture for all multi-platform games."

And they'll take Navi, and get custom bit added to it, and do what they want with the bits they can.
    Easy and ready to program for, and backwards compatible with existing consoles.
    If Navi is still largely based on a GCN rehash, thats still proven tech.
    Puma was proven tech, and tweaked by the consoles.
    And in a few years or so, they'll pick the next proven tech to go with.
    Backwards compatibility might be a different idea then.

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    if I see this right its a v64 and v56 launch at a cheaper price and less power.
    all we have to go on what we have seen it's a card that runs about as fast as a v64.
    so do tell if that's the case where do the vega users upgrade to?
    just saying not trying to be a dick

15. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    These Navi cards are mi-ranged mainstream cards. Big Navi is next year.
    Polaris replacements.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    What big Navi? There will be one more card beside 5700 and thats a 5800. Rest of the lineup will be rebranded or something to fit below while RVII stays at the top.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    A lot of people here seems to be talking out of their ***. I watched lot of videos on youtube about AMD at computex and pretty much everyone say it's a new architecture. How new it is and how much it borrows from GCN it remains to be seen but it certainly doesn't look like it's a rebrand like the Radeon VII. Outside of that not much is known outside of the charts AMD provided but those are never really reliable.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Radeon VII wasn't a rebrand. It's the Radeon Instinct GPUs reworked from deep learning to acceleration.

While it's been confirmed Navi is GCN based, Navi itself must be something to already have board partner support. I see it replacing the original Vega, seeing that it will be cheaper to manufacture thanks to not using HBM and also lower power draw as well.

Maddness and Evildead666 like this.
  19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    This is pretty much a re brand. Not quite but you know what i mean. It's not really a new card.

Confirmed by who? People watching some linux drivers code on git last spring? Cause that's the only thing i can find and honestly i would not call this confirmed. I might be mistaken but realistically the only thing it proves is that it uses the same base instructions set. Doesn't mean much CPUs has been x86 and x86-64 for ages.

Again i might be mistaken but it doesn't really prove the chip will be a refinement of Vega retaining all the problems of it which is what a lot of people imply when they say it's GCN. It's supposed to be a new architecture based on the same instructions set. That's what i read anyway.

I've not been following AMD for ages. Been on Intel/nVidia for the last 15 years. But since when an instructions set is such a big deal? Architecture matters a lot more. You can improve A LOT using the same instructions set. I always thought GCN was an architecture as well as an instructions set. If it's just an instructions set then it's probably not a big deal at all.

From everything i read it's a brand new architecture. I don't care much about the instructions set personally.

Fox2232 likes this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Backwards compatibility is achieved through 2x~4x performance. No reason to sit on old technology for that. Especially if it is not power efficient like Vega.

In other words, with modern non-GCN GPU backwards compatibility is granted. What they need is relevance for multi-platform market for upcoming years. (Consoles which are not left in dust by PCs within one year.)

And it is apparent that idea of : "And in a few years or so, they'll pick the next proven tech to go with." is not from this reality. One thing is same HW with bit higher clock and better power efficiency, and another is new bigger upgrade. As that turns Console into those All-in-One systems which can't be upgraded on users demand, but user has to upgrade as there is next big thing already. (This would kill consoles, that's why there were always many years in between next big upgrade.)