Intel Talks About CPU overclocking software and is to release new Core X CPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 28, 2019.

1. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Im surprised anyones actually cares...

People "care" just to get "likes" on forums :p

Koniakki likes this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Maybe I should download it just to see what kind of error messages I will get. Who knows, maybe it will actually work because aside from the number of cores and support for lolptane, it's still more or less the same CPU. It's Intel we are talking about, after all, they don't like to change things.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Skylake is skylake, right? :)

4. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    They have clauses against it, but they themselves use out of spec memory speeds in benchmarks and they are not doing anything about the out of the box overclocking, that happens on 80% of all store bought motherboards.

patteSatan likes this.

5. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Meltdown, Spectre ZombieLoad, RIDL, and Fallout vulnerabilities included?

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I know. But it's both, not just Intel, like the guy I was replying to seems to think.

7. RonanH

RonanH Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Your logic doesn't make sense. First of all Intel are not going to reduce the price of the 9900X by half, secondly, if you have the need for that many cores you're WAY better off with an AMD platform with even more cores which is demonstrably better at multithreaded tasks and has way more PCI-Ex lanes.

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't think we need the text...

[​IMG]

schmidtbag likes this.
  9. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Intel won't lower their prices that far - even in the worst of times they never competed that closely in prices. For one thing, they have no products to compete with AMD above 8c/16t except the super-expensive HEDT lines, so if they dropped the 9900k to match the $399 3800X then they are basically surrendering the high end to AMD, who have a 16c/32t waiting in the wings to steal the show when Intel officially launches Cascade Lake X. The best they will do is lower it to $499 to match the 3900X.

As for security, you seriously don't understand how this stuff works. They don't give a crap who you are, how big or small. They launch a worm, collect your data, put it in a big pile with all the other nobodys and sell the pile to someone who mines it to exploit anything they can via whatever script, and then THEY sell anything they find to someone who will exploit it to make money. Just because you are nobody doesn't mean you aren't going to get hosed, because the personal info of ten thousand nobodys is actually more valuable than one important person. The days of security via obscurity ended half a decade ago.

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Sure, Intel does not worry at all. They announced a Zen2-killer only to be released six months later and even you confirm they probably need to cut prices by 20-30% to be/stay competitive. I guess Intel is just bored to hell by all this fake news :p

patteSatan and fry178 like this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Intels IPC is reducing every day, what will be it tomorrow when the next exploit is patched.

fry178 likes this.
  12. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    Zen 2 8 core is one die + I/O die IIRC

supports 4Ghz DDR4+ which gains remain to be seen

Your 12 core argument means nothing because they can be overclocked. Yields will increase and so will top end clocks.

Where Intel wins is the mobile arena. The 9980HK is the most impressive CPU because it has potential for 5GHz yet at lower wattage than 9900K.

And besides clocks and RAM speed only matter for 1920x1080, 4K can be any CPU and 2080 TI will be the bottleneck as well as the next big gpu.

HARDRESET likes this.
  13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Have to say I'm impressed they are putting out software for overclocking the cpu on the fly. Is the assumption to be made that this is for an all core oc or the amount of cores can be adjusted to create a custom curve. Since I do not use the Ryzen Master software, does AMD have something comparable that offers the same?

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    am i the only one not interested in such software? even if its a monkey see monkey do thing? I still switching to Ryzen next build.

Venix likes this.
  15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So basically Intel is "voiding" their own warranty with this. :D

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Dear lord from having the best gaming "cpu" being the best argument for the 9900k now it came down even if it losse will not be by much.... Well obviously the amd cpu will 'just" match the gaming perf or will win or loose marginally for tiny bit , to have a noticable difference in perfomance the 9900k has to bottleneck the 2080ti and it does not! And obviously if you care for gaming only you will not change your 9900 .

But you gotta love the evolution of those argument's
    2017 meh 7700k is the gaming king no need for more
    2018 the 8700k is the gaming king 2 extra cores add smoothness
    2018 the 9900k is the gaming king well worth the 200 extra usd for 2-15 fps on games
    2019 meh the 9900k will not loose by much so no biggie

( Insert flipping table meme here)

ladcrooks likes this.
  17. narukun

narukun Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 1561/7700
    "Intel improved 18% the IPC"... "To mitigate the 16% penalties for the vulnerabilites"... :thinking:

patteSatan, HWgeek and fantaskarsef like this.
  18. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    There is no such thing as "recommended speed"

Speeds are mostly set upon marketing or market needs. Bounds are big enough to play.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I see you have firmly grasped that way of thinking, doing anything for "likes" on forums.
    But the discussion about security always has two sides: People that care and people that don't care.
    People that don't care should just send me their credit card and bank login data. Because security is not important.

__hollywood|meo, Venix and Toadstool like this.
  20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Just make me laugh... their previous OC tool that come with the board (intel performance something) was unable to OC an unlocked X CPU on a friend set... it was writing that it is not an overclockable CPU (i hope they fired the coder or maybe he had already planed to go to AMD lol. )
    Once uninstaled and doing it the old way it was a nice 4.8Ghz reached without doing much.