Review: Noctua NH-U12A cooler

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 28, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today we are reviewing the newest Noctua cooler, it's NH-U12A. There is little need to introduce the Austrian company as it’s one of the most recognized in the market. The official...

Review: Noctua NH-U12A cooler

386SX likes this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I personally don't mind the color of Noctua but, (read below)

Noctua should start selling coolers without fans, for people that want to buy the black variants. Or sort an online shop at their own website, where you can combine products.

3. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chromax looks actually good to me, if you're willing to spend a bit more.

PS. This cooler's fan doesnt have a chromax variant, so a no go for any non poop color fan fans

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  4. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Really bad value given that price... performance is too close to 14S, which is almost half the price.
    Having 2 fans, I'd be curious to see how it performs against a dual fan configuration of its cousins 12S and 14S (both come with only 1 fan).

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The D15 = $89.95 @ Amazon (at the moment).

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm sure these will do just fine.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-pwm-chromax-black-swap

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Yeah, fine, just not the same. The fan on this new cooler is supposed to be noctuas new and best 120mm fan.

But yeah, ultimately NHD15 > This , easily.

8. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Great review, as always. Chosing a cooling solution nowadays is a bit hard with the variable prices and flooded market, might I suggest we get more reviews for a better template HH, since there is no other place I trully trust?

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If you have room for the NHD15. I personally have the NHD15 with two Phanteks PH-F140MP fans cooling my Ryzen 1800x but i'm sure some builds wouldn't have room for that beast.

This NH-U12A s expensive but man it cools great for its size.

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I'd argue not many would go for 100$ cpu cooler that don't have the room. The argument has merit but if you're in the know and on somekinda matx build you're probably looking at different low profile options.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Finally the review i wanted! And i´m very glad to read that the cooler doesn´t disappoint, great performance in such a small size. And yes the price is steep but Noctua compensates this with amazing quality. I´m been using my Noctua U12-SE2, that cost me 70 or 80€, non stop for more than 6/8 years without any issue! Works as good as the first day i started using it! As for the colors i don´t mind them but i agree that Noctua should offer different options because they are losing customers in a silly way...

I think i´m going to buy this beauty.

Great review as always!

By the way i noticed the review was written by a different person, don´t tell you guys finally got tired of Hilbert...

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070

I agree. I wasn't pushing for this other than it cools great for its size. They need to get the cost down otherwise why not get an AIO.

13. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    Soon ;) https://www.overclock3d.net/news/ca...u_coolers_and_fans_are_ready_for_production/1

Well, NH-U14S is a bigger one, so for some it can be an issue (especially in mATX)

What do you mean by a better template?

That's the whole idea :)

Thank you ;) . Look closely here https://www.guru3d.com/articles-categories/cooling.html for the authors. Also I do some chassis, RAM and other stuff reviews for over a year now :)

TheDeeGee likes this.
  14. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    And here I am still using a CM V6 GT to cool my 8700k and I think its high time I should replace with a potent one, as it's already at 76c on mild overclock (4.3ghz all cores)

Should I get this over Noctua D15? Considering the size of the ram?

Thank you.

[​IMG]

15. Junglist724

Junglist724 Member

GPU:
    2 x 3090
    They've got got all black, all white, and translucent versions in the works.

16. mertyboy1207

mertyboy1207 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    I wish you hadnt used a de-lidded cpu for your review, as I dont feel thats representative of what most people would have done with their i7 8700k (myself included). Just seems a strange decision to use a modded part...o_O

Barry J likes this.
  17. Captain_Hook

Captain_Hook Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Ti AIO
    If the size is crucial it's really worth considering the NH-U12A. But maybe better check the dimensions, the NH-D15S is very nice in RAM compatibility too :)

The idea behind is that the delidded CPU will present the real thermal performance of the cooler, not limited by the (let's say in a delicate way - bad) paste under the IHS.

18. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070

Thanks for the advice. Then I shall consider NH-D15S as the price should be close compared to NH-U12A. :)

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    They had them even last year as "prototypes", not holding my breath

20. mertyboy1207

mertyboy1207 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    yeah, theres an explanation as to why he used a de-lidded processor in the review, but that doesnt tell me the temperatures I can expect to achieve when using my un-modded processor, which is ultimately what I want (need) to know.