Password managers

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Gabriele Coulson, May 28, 2019.

1. Gabriele Coulson

Gabriele Coulson Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Hey everyone. Do you guys use any kind of password manager? I use LastPass but recently I noticed that a new one has been released. It's called NordPass and it might be worthwhile to try out while it's available for free. If any of you have some ideas or recommendations I would love to hear them.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Write your passwords in a book that you keep safe, offline.
    With an online password safe, you probably pack 20 different passwords into a single one... as if having the same password on all those platforms. I personally always doubted such a practice in terms of sheer security.

rl66 likes this.
  3. Gabriele Coulson

Gabriele Coulson Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Book sounds awfully inconvenient, however it would definitely be secure, unless someone decides to destroy it. Could also use more than one password saving measure for extra security, but right now I'm looking for a sweet spot between security and convenience, I might need my accounts away from home but bringing a book with everything laid out in it doesn't sound very good to me.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, fair point. Like I said, this is up to personal taste.

5. HandR

HandR Member

GPU:
    RTX4090
    KeepassXC would also be an option.
    You can intergrate it in Firefox through a plugin and also off course in other browsers.

6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i use my brain to remember my password (also it is a good training), password manager is not a so good idea i think.

iNerd likes this.
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Accessing several website portals on a regular basis requires me to keep a list of passwords. The most strict of which states that I am not able to repeat any of the last twenty used. Recently all the sites have started to conform to requiring the passwords to be at least 12 characters. So I keep an ongoing list on a Word document that is kept on a jump drive. Allows one to copy&paste the passwords instead of typing them in.

8. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Used dashlane for a year. This is great, works on all my devices and not to expensive (you need the full version , the free is only one unit).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Tried several methods.
    First, the good old method of having an notebook with all my accounts and passwords.
    Second, having the same list as a password protected document, in a encrypted vault on my encrypted SSD.
    Plasma KDE users will have it easy with Plasma Vault.
    Third tried to stay off line.
    You be the judge of what is convenient and secure

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I use Keepass. Password list saved to Onedrive and Keyfile saved to Google Drive with the Keyanywhere plugin.
    I access it on Android with Keepass2Android.

11. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I use notepad method also, can't get easier really, but also because I don't like a program saving my passwords but hey thats me.

12. iNerd

iNerd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    +1 for keepass.

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'd pick KeePassXC over KeePass for the convenience, because it actually works and doesn't hard lock my system.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I use my mind and a document to store the basis to work from.

ie the document stores an encoded version of the password.
    I use multiple methods of decoding depending on some of the content of the encoded password, and different passwords for every place.
    Theres little chance anyone can get enough info to decode my methods and even less they can create the correct password for any site.

The document of encoded passwords ensures I dont lock myself out of anything, only brain damage or death could do that.
    I'll never trust a password manager.