AMD Announces RX 5000 Series Graphics processors at Computex - Demos RX 5700

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2019.

1. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    PS5 says Hi! Maybe it has everything to with streaming capability between the nvme to the GPU...
    We have to wait and see.

Kaarme likes this.
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I think for multi-gpu/X-fire it should be a nice little kick in the pants...;)

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, actually Hilbert needs to use a new rig to test the upcoming NVMe drives using PCIe 4.0. So, no matter what, he will end up with a new rig in his hardware testing cave.

MBTP likes this.
  4. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I guess this architecture is going inside the new consoles and doesn't have dedicated raytracing hardware? If so, that means those chips will be able to do decent raytracing even without specialized hardware, since PS5 has been announced to be capable of doing it.

If that's the case, then either nvidia will have serious edge on raytraced games, or their specialized chips will be overkill and not cost-efficient.

Next few years will be very interesting in the real time graphics field. :rolleyes:

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i can't wait to see the die mockup diagrams

maybe someone will send him a 3800x and motherboard to test soon so he can stop using that ancient 5960.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    My guess is a custom chip, maybe with Gen1 raytracing support, and the next AMD GPUs next year might get Gen2 ?

Maddness and Ricardo like this.
  7. Jayp

Jayp Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    2080 Ti isn't saturating 16x PCIE 3.0 so really at this point PCIE 4.0 means nothing to gaming GPUs Navi doesn't need it but this is how new standards start in the market. Better to have it before you need it. Usually the PCIE standard stays way ahead of GPU requirements. Dual GPU is a case where 4.0 standard would help because of mainstream splitting of 16x into two 8x but that's wasteful territory currently. PCIE 4.0 probably has biggest news in SSDs. 4x PCIE 3.0 used on current M.2 NVMe drives is a limitation which tops out at 3.9 GB/s where as 4x PCIE 4.0 would be limited at 7.87 GB/s. Intel will definitely want to be on PCIE 4.0 by the time these new 5 GB/s drives become a common place. Of course there are still a ton of operations that happen well within of the spec of PCIE 3.0 4x and I am merely focusing on peak throughput.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it can and does, gaming isn't the only application these cards have to handle.

9. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Pretty much everyone seems to be saying this is a new architecture called RDNA specifically made with gaming in mind and that it wont be GCN (and it will coexist with GCN geared toward compute). I remember 2-3 weeks ago some guys here saying it would be 200% GCN for sure like it was impossible it was going to be a new architecture.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    from all i can find RDNA is an evolution of GCN with a VLIW design that makes up the shortcomings of its previous incarnations.

we won't know more till the techsites get hardware briefs during the review phase.

11. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    Darn looks sweet, now the question remains will it have hdmi 2.1 ?;)

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Hmm.... I'm growing more hesitant about getting this. It's nice in a way that it's a new architecture but if it really is that different from GCN then I might want to wait for the next gen.

Maybe for this gen it won't matter much, but I'm sure after the next gen with all the necessary tweaks, PCIe 4.0 wll be a big deal for GPUs running with x8 lanes.

13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I forgot the nvme drive when i wrote that though. It is sort of a big deal if you build a new system now. I mean if Zen 2 is on par with Intel why would you build a new computer without PCI-E 4 and the possibility to have a boot drive supporting it? Unless you're a fanboy it would not make any sense to build a new system without PCI-E 4 if the cpus are more or less equal.

14. dfsdfs1112

dfsdfs1112 Member Guru

GPU:
    2060 SUPER
    why no HDMI 2.1 ???
    WHY

Kaleid likes this.
  15. Now if AMD can just stop themselves pushing the absolute maximum trouncing all over their efficiency (again) it would be a good thing.I bet you they push the envelope again and squeeze it for everything it has and pass on another wasted opportunity to gain mind share.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Agreed. But finally at least it is a new core, GCN has delivered rather well for very long but the efficiency has been lacking.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    variable rate shading is a feature of the 2.6 driver model, all AMD has to do is expose feature support to directx and make their driver to the talking between api and hardware.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Fox2232 likes this.