Star Trek Picard

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Clawedge, Aug 5, 2018.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I totally agree, even Star Trek has dark times of war. That's why though Picard's my favourite captain, DS9 is my favourite show. The only show that dared to touch outright war... although the battle scenes are at times more or less laughable (when reusing the same shot sequence three times in 5 minutes for instance), at least you saw dozens of ships on screen and explosions, you knew there were even big ships with hundreds of people on them just... exploding... it started out with Wolf359 after all, right at the beginning.

2. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    TNG aged very badly IMO, used to be my favourite but the wife and I started going back through all the old series' and TNG's first season is awful, especially first half of the season you can feel Rodenberry's stifling grip on the show, once his health meant he had to take a backseat the show improved massively, I really don't like TOS as it's aged so badly it's basically camp so my order of preference is something like:

Enterprise*
    DS9
    Voyager
    TNG
    Discovery**
    TOS

*I know a lot of Trekkies hate Enterprise for some reason but I loved it and thought Bakula was a brilliant Captain and the show had a good balance of drama with the lighter bits, loved Porthos!
    **I've only watched the pilot of Discovery and detest what they've done to the Klingons, at some point we need to marathon a few episodes to try and "get" the series.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I can't think of anything more desperate.

They really, really, really want to get people to acknowledge and forcibly accept that; the people running the Star Trek television franchise know what they they are doing.

This, is a near perfect example of them proving beyond all shadow of a doubt that they do not.

Captain Piccard and the gang ended with them playing cards at the end of 'All good things' and, flying off into the distance together as family - probably the best ending of any Star Trek show ever.

The films they made to milk the TNG franchise were...questionable, and certainly no one ever asked for it...

Bringing back Piccard, man...you might as well get a big neon sign above your head with the words 'desperate for validation'.

Discovery was a failure - DEAL WITH IT:

citation

(My comments here are not directed at any members of the Guru3D forums, but to CBS executives - all other points are)

Not even a clunky Lenny Kravitz song from 1998 can save you...

airbud7 likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While I mostly agree with you @Loobyluggs , especially towards the executives, I hope it's not like that, and that Stewart, as an actor, and cornerstone of ST history, does not give into another Discovery.

I watched the show on netflix, I kind of enjoyed it, but part of it was more my inner need for ST and something new, and very little to see it as a successor to ST itself. More like a random SF show.
    Just the same as with the new movies, they are sci fi movies that happen to borrow from the ST universe, and at that they're not really that good because they need to reinvent stuff, just like with Discovery, to even make it work because they have little to no chance to make it fit into the established franchise.

But, let's face it people, we are living in the past, if we expect something like Star Trek to ever be the same again. This is not how it works... I just hope Brannon Braga hasn't got his cursed fingers in this.

Loobyluggs likes this.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Nah - he's doing The Orville - and, I have to say there is nothing wrong with Brannon Braga in terms of writing episodes, he was the one who wrote some of the more 'Ethical' episodes of TNG, which really is more akin to what TOS was all about:

Crew encounters alien life. They work together to solve ethical conundrum, without affecting or impacting their own ethics.

Discovery was this:

Crew doesn't encounter alien life. They don't work together to solve the problem(s) of their own lack of ethics and end up affecting and impacting as much as possible for....reasons?

This, is why it failed. If Brannon was involved with Discovery, at least they would have met some alien life and tried to help someone. Now, it looks as if the new episodes are going to have a 'reimagining' of Christopher Pike, complete with 'mansplaining' condescension and a completely OTT colorful uniform.

Kirk is next...then Spock...then 'bones...then scotty...then the Borg...they are all up against the wall my friends, much like what the fans of Star Trek want to happen to CBS.

The numbers don't lie...just studio executives. If Discovery was a super-duper success, does anyone here really think they would 'tap' Patrick Stewart?

It failed...and that is why this is happening.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I would think all these extra Trek shows are simply being brought in because after Discovery ended so did all those new subs, so to keep Trek fans subb'ed they need to more Trek over those 12 months.

7. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    No it probably wouldn't matter tbh, I know I would still probably watch it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I'd enjoy it if it was around the "all good things" era.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Aww yiss! Whatever you may think about TGN, they had so many great ideas and most episodes were really enjoyable (just like X-files).

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^So does that mean it will be set in the Prime universe.......( bada-boom ) lol

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I thought discovery was decent for what it was. The ending went quite dark.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not think it was dark. It had some bumpy action<->calm jumps. Attempted on some melancholy and other things which were out of place.
    = = = =
    I wish best of health to Sir Patrick Stewart and lot of fun making this series.

14. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Trailer is up!!!

Fox2232 likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    F* CBS does not allow playback from Czech Republic. Good Job.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    wtf? I can view it here in Austria...

OT: omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

17. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Thanks for the link :p

18. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    OMG how come i've never ever seen this, i read the news, but had no idea there were a teaser. YESSSSS

PS: Watched Discovery on netflix from France, loved it. But wouldn't have bought a subscription to another streaming service just for it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah friends of mine already are pissed, had to take Sky to watch GOT not to be spoilered by all the dimwits needing to blurt it out the next day, then they got Netflix for Discovery (which they didn't like), now they'd need amazon prime... license wars are screwed up. Part of what CBS is to "blame" for.

XenthorX likes this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It happens. It is either general eastern block thing or they again mistaken us for Chechnya. Especially since some dimwit officially accepted that short Czechia is OK of us.

Anyway, it is not like looking for non youtube repost took more than 20 clicks.

fantaskarsef likes this.