Google To End Cooperation With Huawei

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2019.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm still googling it but I found something similar happened to ZTE an it was lifted

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes I remeber that happening as well, but it wasn't nearly as big I think? This is mainly a 5G issue after all I guess, that they don't want Huawei stuff in 5G networks all around the globe.

airbud7 likes this.
  3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    yea I just found that out...sounds like they got a big jump on 5G technology

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Turns out that US forgot it still uses lots of Huawei kit in it's infrastructure and rural America would grind to a halt with a full ban...

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.

5. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the link, will have to read. Only that I want to say, it's hard to trust any narrative when it's biased by talking to high US officials... what should they tell you besides that it's bad... :D

airbud7 likes this.
  7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    That's the definition of irony you telling someone they have no clue about the big picture LOL.

8. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Wonder what will happen when China bans US tech to their market in response - sell sell sell!

9. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They do not work for the right mentally ill man...

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I have a hard time understanding how this ban is a good thing for the US. If Huawei is a spying threat, wouldn't it make more sense to force them to use software from US companies for their devices? At least that way, Google can keep track of usage and activity to detect any foul play. I would think that forcing Huawei to use their own OS or services would be the last thing you'd want, as it means there would be no way to monitor their devices (after all, Huawei phones are sold in Canada, just across the border).

As the saying goes, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Of course that's assuming that spying is the real issue. I'm guessing that this may just be a show of superiority, to deny Chinese companies access to US technology.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    There's only so much you can do in software to fix hardware threats, especially hardware that taps into your data stream (of course, that's assuming Huawei is even doing such a thing).

There is of course a more political reason why, to some, banning Huawei is a good thing (a reason I for one don't agree with) but I'm not going to get into that.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, it's not just software - using hardware from US companies could also help reduce the risks. Most phones receive a teardown from iFixit anyways, which could reveal any potentially suspicious hardware. IMO, the more we know, the better off we will be.

At any rate, I don't think national security is really the end-goal here. China is the new economic superpower and companies like Huawei are displacing established American companies like Apple (they've already surpassed them in global smartphone sales). I think Trump and his allies want to stem Chinese growth and influence (part of Make America Great Again ;)).

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    The entire thing is political the hardware side of things is nothing more than a front.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Oh dont get me wrong, majority of them have done some messed up crap. Trump, though is like straight up in your face doesn't give a crap bare faced liar....

Yet people can actually see it, they can hear it, they have the tools to fact check and yet they just sit back and accept every word he says.

sykozis likes this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Wow!....if I could only say what I really think about your post without risking my membership here...

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    People hear what they want to hear, not what they actually need or should. It's been like this since... forever. Same poison, different flavor.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    True^.....and the opinion of "what they actually need or should hear" is an opinion in itself.

different opinions create debate....who's right who's wrong in the thought process?

holding a definite bias that cannot be changed "much like a fanboy" cannot be fixed mentally.

haters gonna hate.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  18. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    "holding a definite bias that cannot be changed "much like a fanboy" cannot be fixed mentally." Read that back to yourself slowly and see if it doesn't sound weirdly familiar.

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    it can be changed with help....but then again that would be from a different opinion "said person" disagreed with.
    Opinion = "a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge."

I hold my opinion you hold yours with respect for both of us.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  20. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Whether Huawei phones are compromised with hidden spy tech or not, but using a phone from a company that is backed by the country's government does not give me much confidence. Especially coming from a government from this particular country.

HandR likes this.