ARM No Longer In Business With Huawei Either

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2019.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    huawei doesn't just produce phones, they sell telecom equipment ,which the US seems to think are compromised , many countries already use huawei equipment for telecommunications , the implication is that there are backdoors in huawei hardware, that the chinese government can use to spy on cellular communications/networks all over the world.

I think the reason it has come up now, is due to huawei being the first company to sell 5G capable hardware, and as such, many countries are considering adopting them, if the claims are true, global adoption of huawei 5g would compromise future global communications for decades.

2. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    lol talking about stolen
    from what i see, tons of international company manufacturing in china
    by manufacturing in china, they automatically get the tech + know-how rather than "espionage-spy" stealing

now count how many company that mass-product their products on china ?
    apple, dell, pc parts all most came from china

thats why like japan, still keeping the latest tech to be build domestically (within japan)
    rather than mass-production it on their china-factory, this way at least holding back what they can copy

signex, fantaskarsef and msotirov like this.
  3. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    And here, ladies and gentlemen, is why we need more decentralization in the global economy. No single country should be able to do things like that. Way too many companies are located in the US.

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  4. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I still think this is a bad move, China has the capacity to make they'r own tech at a lower price so in time we will see something like this:
    1. Higher pricese for tech made outside China.
    2. Lower pricese for tech made in China.
    It may be that in 10 years the cost of tech will be 100%-200%-300% higher for wat is made outside China.
    And we end users may end up buying high price electronics at a lower rate.
    So the only ones that will benefit from this will be the big firms that will be able to increse the pricese and make a biger profit in time.

To me Trump is thinking and making choices more as a firm boss that a president of a country, he thinks of his/others firms how to benefit in time (not his country, more the big firms from his country).

I still wait for real proof that Huawei is spyng for China !!
    This is becoming more and more a witch hunt.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    signex and WalterDasTrevas like this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You are so feeding every clichee available I have a hard time not to say you're a troll. And even mentioning the terms foolish and naive....

6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    The big problem is that what China is doing, US is also doing it.
    Is not like US is not doing cyber-espionage, or stealing tech from others.
    Is like a thief shouting thief.
    I feel sorry for Huawei, but it also may be good for them if they manage to become independent from other firms.

7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You said it. It's not good that pretty much everything is made in China these days. Production should be decentralised to lots of different countries.

Eh. Who exactly are you to be qualified to require to see the proof? Are you a supreme court judge, or something?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    What actual instances do we have where their 5G infrastructure has allowed national intelligence to be fed back to China ?

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Absolutely agree with @msotirov and you on the first line, production should be decentralised. Although now complaining when especially the US tech companies have outsourced production to China for decades to save money and make more profit seems a little two faced... it's not like anybody told the tech giants to let almost everything be built in China. It's of their own doing, and now blaming China for this is pretty stupid tbh.

On the second, why should I not see proof? We as consumers are affected, why should we not deserve to know why there will be big changes? And practically every government that is avoiding Huawei for 5G networks now does deserve proof... maybe not us as simple people, like you said, but governments and courts. We probably won't know if anybody got proof of this since of course, such claims are never backed by publicly known facts since it's "intelligence information", so US spies spying on China, at best (which makes the spying argument a little hypocritic as well), or it's a claim without proof. But you are right Kaarme, we here probably won't ever get to see proof. We just have to live with what "somebody" says. That's how such important decisions should NOT be made, though.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's not just the USA. Europe moved production to China as well. It's indeed kind of foolish to blame China for anything in this regard. China's government's job is to make China as powerful as possible. Of course since they are communists they do it with zero concern about environment or human rights, but they have to do it nonetheless. After the mistakes of the early communists, they certainly did have a lot of work to do. They succeeded splendidly, though, in a very short time. China in already highly developed in many things, although with an understandably high price (like terrible pollution) and compromises (corruption, safety issues). What's happening right now is only a small part of the high price that had to be paid at some point.

We live in representative democracies. We do our jobs and have politicians do their jobs. We don't actually make directly these decisions ever, we just elect people to do the decisions for us. They need to know the details. We only need to know, approximately, what sort of people they are so that we might be able to predict what kind of decisions they make, in the grand scheme of things. I'm pretty sure this particular thing falls right in with Trump's promises and publicly known opinions when he was a presidential candidate.

Most of the public has no business in these sorts of things anyway. A man might be a real expert in welding ship hulls, but it doesn't make him qualified to evaluate intelligence information and decide on international trade. The Swiss think it does, but the rest of the world doesn't.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    It is like this:

https://i.**********/P5CByVD1/UbansH.jpg[/img

Not about one man or one company,its about freedom of speech and free trade.
    Xiaomi,OnePlus,Oppo will be happy to get the share of the market from Huawei. ;)

Lets not forget about the "islands" made it by China in claimed "their" South China Sea.Thats not free trade and will not be allowed to make that region only China's sea.
    So ragers gonna rage,but against others not against US or EU companies.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Kaarme and airbud7 like this.
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Free trade when laying ban on internation companies... yeah that's free trade o_O
    And territorial disputes in the South Chinese sea are also about free trade, just like Japan only recently formalized their territorial disputes with Russia about the islands between Hokkaido and Sachalin... o_O

signex likes this.
  13. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    It is about free trade,all. :)

14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Protectionism is against free trade. So yeah it is about free trade. But territorial disputes are not... it's about influence, resources. Sorry but please explain to me how the dispute about South Chinese sea's islands is about free trade, I fail to make the connection there.

15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Its not space and time to discuss here all the reasons behind the ban of Huawei.I said whats about of big picture: its about freedom of speech and free & fair trade. :)

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The big picture is economic interestes of the US. There is no relevance to free speach in China (or it would have been named as a reason for this, it is not), and what the US does is actually against free trade. I'm not sure how much clearer it can be.
    But yes let's not discuss this since we'd only dig into a political argument, which is not worth the discussion since we can't change it, and we're actually here to talk about computers and their hardware.

WalterDasTrevas likes this.
  17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Ok,last word here: if dont like the measures of US gov then go to China,where you dont have Google,YT,Fb,Wiki,etc. Where you enjoy their "freedom of speech". :)
    Everyone have interests,everyone push the limits,but if dont have freedom and fair trade then its about dictatorship and red propaganda.

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yes, have your last word, I still disagree with you. The US are not saints, you are biased. Have a nice day still.

19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    This is good news, but still, you do know that your own government is spying right?

airbud7, tunejunky and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    People keep boiling this down to "spying" but it's specifically IP theft. Huawei has a history of stealing IP from US/European companies. China itself has shown it has no intention of punishing any IP theft - so I think its a pretty large security risk to have a company partially owned by the Chinese government operating the US's primary 5G network.

While the US spies on it's citizens and others I don't really see the US stealing technological secrets and giving them to US companies in an attempt to one up the market. I'm not saying it's not happening but it's definitely no where near as rampant as it occurs in China.

airbud7, tunejunky and carnivore like this.