Google To End Cooperation With Huawei

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I do see where you're coming from. Unfortunately, modern politics has got everyone on-edge, and a lot of people on both ends of the spectrum feel their viewpoint is being threatened. So, it takes very little for people to get hostile. However, although it's inevitable that there will be disagreements as to whether the events were justified or not, those disagreements definitely do not have to involve attacking those who oppose you or pointing blame at others. I myself have had plenty of disagreements with people, including political ones, where neither side felt the need to insult the other or their ideologies. Granted, being a centrist, that's much easier for me to do; I have no loyalty to a party so I don't really have much to lose against someone who leans one way or the other; I disagree with everyone equally :p

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    People need to put their phone and politic biases on the side and instead try to be objective. Whatever you like Trump or not and whatever you have a Huawei phone or not, Huawei and China cannot be trusted so some major changes need to happen. I suggest people to read or view documents/news (many sources, not just one, preferably neutral and non-US) about China and Huawei so you can draw your own conclusion about them.

carnivore, airbud7 and schmidtbag like this.
  3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Australia already banned Huawei and ZTE from participating in their 5G rollout under pressure I believe from the US as Australia is part of the 5 Eyes security information sharing network.

4. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Did you forget that USA was spying on even the German government?
    "https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...y-for-decades-wikileaks-idUSKCN0PI2AD20150708"
    There are no saints in international geopolitics.
    Trump started an isolationist movement, even suggesting that other nations do the same.
    In a world of "globalized economy", an isolationist economy tends to fail, and he started the economic war to try to sell the image of the world's best negotiator, which we already know is not true.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You know the same can be said about the US and their corporations? Or have you forgot about Snodew??? I´m not saying this because i think China is innocent in this kind of issues or because i have a P10 that i really like but pointing fingers at China for something the US has been doing for a very long time is silly... Both the US and China have to be criticized for spying.
    Also if the US is so worried about China/Huawei espionage they should concentrate their efforts on the server/network hardware provided by them instead of worrying about personal devices like smart phones or laptops...

The world is turning into a really strange and scary place...

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    @WalterDasTrevas and @H83
    I don't really understand where either of you are getting the impression that Warrax was saying the US and its corporations can/should be trusted. The fact he said to check non-US sources about China/Huawei, to me, suggests otherwise (implying that as a way to avoid US propaganda). Saying China and Huawei can't be trusted says nothing about whether you can trust anyone else.
    As far as I'm concerned, very few governments are trustworthy.
    But... a phone is primarily network hardware. Most phones have a minimum of 3 separate transmitters/receivers on them, some have as much as 6. The way you use your network is the most concerning aspect, and since phones have built-in methods to use their network, that makes them even more critical to care about.

Warrax and airbud7 like this.
  7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I'm the same. I just can't understand someone who is right or left about every possible subjects in the world. It's on a case by case basis for me. I tend to be more center left socially and more center right economically. I wont lie i've enjoyed watching the left and right fight about everything lately and both thinking they are 100% right. Free good daily comedy is not a bad thing. It's starting to get a little bit out of hand though and a little bit worrying.

I just don't see the point of this bickering with China though and i'm definitely not proud of what my Government is doing with Meng Wanzhou. I really hope proofs will be presented eventually i hate that everything these days is done behind closed doors using the excuse that is it for the safety of the country. That's so easy ... I mean show the proofs or **** the **** up.

Maybe China will eventually accept to play the game but they might just decide to say **** you. They are big enough and now advanced enough to do that. Huawei could very well decide to team up with other Chinese companies to develop a Chinese mobile OS and the Chinese Governement may very well decide to block Android and iOS from their country.

At the end of the day the consumer will have to pay. Huawei was a good option for low cost tablets and thin laptops. I've used one of their relatively cheap laptop once and i was rather impressed. Also in Canada the options when it comes to tablets is ridiculously empty. Asus doesn't support their tablet so they are not really an option (i learned it the hard one by buying one of their tablet). Samsung is rather expensive in Canada. Then you basically have Lenovo and Huawei and that's pretty much it. One less option is not good at all.

As for Huawei spying on us let's be real here USA spies as much as China and i really doubt USA spies using products made outside of USA ...

airbud7 and schmidtbag like this.
  8. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    like US is clean&trusted country ?
    how about international people see USA ? i personally think US is country that want to control-everything-in-the-world
    while its not always a bad-things, i mean being in-control can be also "peace" in the world

but in this matter, it seems US getting worried with china power, then try to hold the control, now do banning international(chn)-company who dont bend to their compliant
    well its not a thing that i care, but its interesting how people think regarding this

in my eyes both US and china share equal amount of love and hate
    so if china cannot be trusted so same to US ...
    but if we only see other-else than our-own cannot be trusted then we are going nowhere, so the same to much trust can be destroying too
    So take middle, trust-with-caution is all we do, thus there is trading-rules/regulation/policy etc.

all-in-all, some people might like huawei product, and getting banned isnt good-thing for them
    but other than that, i dont think people care the rest of matter, except US going mad by banning more chinese-companies ie. xiaomi,oneplus,asus, gigabyte to all rest pc-hardware-maker haha

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree with every word of that.
    China knows very well what they're doing. They're one of the oldest countries and one of the most successful for good reasons. A lot of the world outside of them may not agree with the way they do things, but here's the thing: they legitimately don't care what anyone else thinks, and they don't really have a reason to either. They want everyone else to leave them alone, where trade deals are pretty much the only external interaction they're interested in.
    I'm a bit surprised Canada doesn't have many options for tablets. Shouldn't Amazon, Ebay, or newegg.ca have a decent selection? Though, I can't say I'm really impressed with any tablet options available to me either. They're either woefully under-spec'd or weirdly overpriced. There's no middle-ground. That seems to be pretty typical of most ARM platforms. As an extensive Linux user, I've been seeking a half-decent ARM laptop that doesn't have some crippling issue like locked-down firmware, dysfunctional GPU drivers, or has less than 4GB of RAM. The Pinebook Pro seems promising.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Ugh, the trade war showing its ugly face again, and just when the markets finally recovered from the last one. My stocks were looking pretty good before this - seems every time the POTUS opens his mouth, my stocks tank :(. As someone who invests heavily in American tech companies, I am incredibly frustrated by this (is it really too much to ask for a calm and stable market?).

Google really has no choice here. I'm sure they'd like to continue the partnership, but their hands are tied. I just hope Canada doesn't make any rash decisions - I've recently begun thinking about switching to a OnePlus or Huawei phone to replace my Samsung one.

I think the tablet fad is mostly dead, especially for Android. Google no longer creates tablets and it's basically an after-thought for most Android makers. The iPad is the only viable option, although tablet sales have tanked for Apple as well (seems to have more-or-less bottomed out though). I've owned several Android tablets before, but today the only tablet I have is my Surface Pro, which I use like a laptop.

11. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Yes they do: https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_slate
    I use a google pixelbook now which is a brilliant device. It's a tablet when you want it to be (keyboard flips right over, runs android apps) and it's a laptop when you need that (very good keyboard). It is also very fast (no windows, apps not optimised for full blown pc), completely silent (no fans), has excellent battery life, and a very good screen. Just wish the audio was a little better.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    All this political stuff. And nobody mentions that Ban against Huawei is temporarily lifted till 19th of August.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    looks like this guy can explain it very well

Fender178 and WalterDasTrevas like this.
  14. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well done Trump you really have not thought this through what so ever.

1# US increase tariffs on Chinese products - China does the same
    2# US further increase tariffs on Chinese products - China does the same
    3# US moves some products back to the US but presently don't have the manufacturing capability for volume or even the man power. - China meh we have already penetrated the lucrative India and African markets and own Asia!
    4# US cut them off entirely... without any redundancy in place - China we stock piled parts for this eventuality
    5# US revoke the cut off period for a time to get other options and redundancy put in place. China Meh we have already done that, this just allows us more time to get other alternatives and get other services up and running while stock piling more in the mean time.
    6# Having US companies stop supplying the likes of Intel chips and
    Huawei have their own home brewed OS and have stock piled chips... at least they have a brain and have thought about the future, trump seems to have popped his last brain cell, i mean what moron just cuts everything off and not thought about redundancy or contingency plans... It's no wonder he's had so many businesses go under, he continually underestimates the competition.

As it stands presently, the US is loosing this cold war, embarrassingly bad as they are systematically countered at every turn.

Then it's no longer about freedom or democracy, it's authoritarian... it's no wonder they say "democracy always leads to tyranny"

The likes of Intel and the other US businesses presently in China, having to pull out there biggest production line from China would impact Intel quite heavily, if you think the shortages is bad now? imagine their production being cut in half, and clearly haven't learnt from Russia.

China - Hey Russia them new weapons you got look impressive.
    Russia - Yeah they are, want to buy some?
    China - Yeah we will test them, we will buy 5 of each
    Russia - Hey China So how are you finding the toys?
    China - Oh yeah they are very nice.
    Russia - Want to buy some more?
    China - Naw, we have reversed engineered them and make our own now.

sykozis likes this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    you have no clue of the big picture in all of this...the United States will be fine.

once again....> believe it or not....>The sky is not Falling!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Backstabak likes this.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    USA yeah no doubt. Consumers around the world it remains to be seen.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yeah, theres no sky left to fall.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Looking forward to hear August news, one can be shocked about Huawei ban lifted.
    And guys, remember, Guru3D is a hardware forum, try to differentiate from political aspects when talking hardware news.
    Yes, there is a political weight to this, but not really ours to discuss.

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Has Huawei actually done anything wrong?

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I doubt that's what it's about tbh. Afaik, there has been no real proof of any wrongdoing, but I might have missed that.

airbud7 likes this.