Rage 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Really enjoying the hell out of this even though the story is "B" movie quality at best. The mix of Mad Max open world exploration/driving and DOOM 2016-style combat is a lot of fun but it is somewhat marred by a lot of bugs and glitches, mostly broken audio such as dialogue cutting out, the horn on the car continuing until I exited the game and so on. There are also some physics bugs such as floating objects etc, nothing game breaking but it does distract from the overall polish of the game. Still, this is a solid first-person shooter and a decent followup to the original RAGE.

2. Michael Freeman

Michael Freeman Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4gig
    Never got any of those bugs. But I have the GPU driver crash while in TAB menu bug. It appears to happen after hibernating Windows 10. I fully shut down Windows yesterday so I'll see if it the bug reoccurs today.

EDIT: Best fair review I've seen of Rage 2. I think they got the bullseye when they compared to The Expendables film but I guess you have to watch the vid to understand what they mean by that.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    My short review:
    Fantastic combat and weapon feel, nice SFX.
    Graphics are OK but there is too much bloom.
    Story is not great but you probably don't play these types of games for the story.
    UI/modding system, not too great.
    Driving is pretty poor due to bad handling, driving also introduces some stuttering probably due to streaming.
    Only bug encountered is missing dialogue audio and some missing SFX (for example when buying an upgrade in the TAB menu)
    Plays great on my computer with stable frame rates.

BlackZero and cerebus23 like this.
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    LOL I found a bug in one of the bandit camps in the marsh area near a small swamp. There are stairs inside the only large room going down to a wall (yes a wall nothing there) but half way down the stairs the entire building disappears leaving only some small lines of the building. It only happens in a specific spot on the stairs but if you time it right you can get your character to stop.

Anyway, if you think the driving sucks wait til you unlock the flying motor cycle.... I just did... its super weird and you can barely control it. You have to be over ground for it to work otherwise you just fall, and across mountains and hills it auto corrects its own height so you can basically just fly across the whole map.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i've also seen stuff pop into view like in front on me or my vehicle. like right in front so it not general pop in but a rendering bug of some sort.

And was clearing a base and there was this pit thing, where there were explody barrels, but they did not render less you got right up to the pit, take a step back they vanished, but you could still shoot them visible or not so i blew them up.

not happened a ton but it does happen.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    cerebus23 likes this.
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yep @ 1080 the 1060 numbers look bang on to what i see the dips are mostly in vehicle though otherwise its 60 fps.

Undying likes this.
  8. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    The ssao is heavy on ultra. drop down to high fps boost and hardly any change to visuals.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Your 2080Ti should eat this game for breakfast (except perhaps at 4K) :)

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the game sees a pretty big performance hit as the display resolution is scaled up, seems to run from 40 - 50 averaging at low 50's at 4k when the 2080Ti should be handling it better though who knows what's going on in the game engine and what else is scaling with said resolution increase. SSAO seems like a good candidate from the quoted post there and perhaps other effects so if they hit hard at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 then it'll be significantly harder at 3840x2160 not sure but perhaps Ultra doesn't use half or quarter res which are both common for post-processing techniques like ambient occlusion. (Short of debug mode it's not going to look that much worse and it's a good speed gain as long as it's not a fixed resolution like in some ports were it's 1280x720 and scaling up.)

[​IMG]

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I gotta say the complaints about frame rate drops while travelling around the open world surprises me, it’s not something I’ve encountered across two different PC’s, one being an X58 system running a Core i7 980X @4.3GHz with a 2080Ti that I use on my TV at 4K (with dynamic res scaling @80%) and my main system running an i9 7940X @4.6GHz with two 2080Ti’s at 3440x1440 both installed on SSD’s.

I’m enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would, combat is great, AI is pretty dumb and it can be lacking in the visuals department at times but overall I don’t have any huge issues with how it looks or runs.

Just wish it was longer.

AsiJu, cerebus23 and Undying like this.
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yea that 1000 plus gfx card might be why :p you do not see dips.

us mortals do but like i said its typically only when driving around.

AsiJu and anxious_f0x like this.
  14. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I was referring to the digital foundry analysis with regards to the frame rate dips while driving around, he’s also getting using the 2080Ti which is what surprised me.

Hopefully they can smooth those out on lower end cards although it’s probably more CPU related, surprised with how well my 9 year old 980X is still doing with modern games.

cerebus23 and Undying like this.
  15. Michal Turlik 21

Michal Turlik 21 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080Ti
    For all you guys that are planning to buy a new gpu only to play well Rage 2 I would like to assure that a gtx 1080 is good enough.
    Here you are my footage (4k on ultra settings with soft vsync, txaa+fxaa):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=17eg_Np8bBrgSs2VR8xjgzuuIUX3btr2r

And that's my rig:
    Asus X470-I ROG Strix
    16 gb ddr4 3200 mhz
    Ryzen 2700x (stock clock)
    Watercooled and oc gtx 1080 fe with 399.24 drivers (the last good ones for Pascal gpus)

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, I have a friend with a 670, and he's said he's uninstalled the game until he can afford to upgrade.
    That, no matter the settings he uses... the game is unplayable.

18. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Microsoft... junk? What?

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i think we got a live one but i will take a stab.

he uninstalled windows now the game runs flawlessly at 4k.