PCIe 4.0 feature pops up in X470 Motherboard BIOS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The motherboard manufacturers are hard at work prepping X570 series motherboards for the new Ryzen 3000 processors. These will also bring PCI-Express 4.0 towards the eco-system. Interesting, Gigabyte ...

PCIe 4.0 feature pops up in X470 Motherboard BIOS

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Some of the existing boards are built well enough to handle Gen 4 from the CPU controller.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pcie-4.0-motherboard,38401.html

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Evildead666 and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    That's actually pretty cool, even if the bandwidth doesn't find much practical use as of now, or am I wrong?

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not right now but it could be the near future. We just need more powerful gpus.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    or faster disks :)

fantaskarsef and Undying like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  7. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    I know it's not adding much to the discussion, but there is no way in hell a particular competitor would allow this. They would demand a new socket and a new chipset and a new CPU.

Thanks AMD for being cool.

Evildead666 and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You are both right only that... I don't see it making sense right now, on a now "legacy" mainboard. Besides professional use I honestly doubt there's a need to surpass PCIe3.0 at this time.
    BUT the future always has to start somewhere, and it doesn't cost more for consumers, so as long as those new BIOS will still be stable with PCIe 4.0 enabled, it's only a good thing imho.

Thanks for sharing the articles / benches

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    The ssd barly go over pci-e x4 3.0 speeds on seq read/write :p

Pci-e 4.0 maybe offer even lower latency, like 3.0 did over 2.0.

Intel Optane pci-e 4.0 incoming? :D

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    At least until they discover that the optane algorythm is actually less safe than anything else Intel "invented" in the last decade. :D

13. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    erm What's the 3DMark01 Enhancement

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Is there a BIOS update that will transform my 6700K to a 9700K? ;)

15. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    It's a tweak which solely makes that one benchmark run faster. My Asus Z87 Hero has it, as do many others.

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well those transfer speeds of Gen4 is probably the reason for active fan/chipset cooling on the 570 mobos. If you could push both PCIe slots to X16 i think 300/400 chipsets would melt. ^^

But there's not powerful enough GFX cards out yet that could push those gen4 numbers.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Issue is not in slots. And no, what you claim is false as it can get.
    As CPU is PCIe 4.0 able, anything directly connected to it able to do same can work. (Like Sandy to Ivy on adequate MBs.) Since PCIe/M.2 slots behind chipset are already speed limited to 2.0 and mutually exclusive in use, there is no reason to increase bandwidth towards and from older chipset. (Which likely does not even tick fast enough to modulate signal.)

Then to the GPUs. Look at single GPU system using PCIe 3.0 x16. Now upgrade to two PCIe 4.0 based and you have PCIe 4.0 x8 for each.
    Or you can actually afford to use 2nd PCIe slot which is physically x8 for something else. (Like two M.2 drives.)

With PCIe 4.0 those slots are actually becoming more useful. With PCIe 5.0 we'll already be at point where one can comfortably use external x4 GPU as cabling will be OK.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Makes sense - aren't the bulk of those lanes provided by the CPU package anyway?

Depends who you ask. As far as I'm concerned, no GPU comes anywhere close to saturating 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, except maybe in certain synthetic loads. Personally, I find it hard to justify M.2 SSDs since most everyday home use-cases don't benefit from the extra NVMe bandwidth (yes, I know, there are real-world cases that do take advantage of it, but my point is most home users don't).
    To me, the real benefit of PCIe 4.0 are the benefits to x1 and x8 devices. Although this won't happen (due to backward compatibility), x8 lanes could become the new maximum standard on motherboards; there's no real point in having any more than that anymore, except for a handful of industrial cases or forward compatibility with older parts. As for x1 slots, this opens doors to new devices that used to demand more lanes, such as NICs exceeding well beyond 1Gbps, capture cards, extra USB 3.2 ports, or even low-end GPUs that aren't complete garbage.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Who the hell cares of if normal everyday users get no benefit from NVME. I do, and so do many of on guru3d.

MGPU will kick ass with PCIE 4.0. Especially with AMD since everything is done over PCIE4. The reason I made sure I got a X370 board was so I could at least SLI or Crossfire at 3.0 8x speeds with an NVME and a m.2 sata drive if I wanted. B350 boards and B450 boards only do 4x 3.0 on the second slot.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Um... most people care? Hence my point...
    You aren't most people, and therefore you don't apply to what I said. I already addressed this, so... what exactly are you in a huff about?
    Indeed it will. And good for you - it seems you actually spent your money wisely.