Ryzen 5 3400G & Ryzen 3 3200G Based on AMD Picasso (Get higher Clock frequency)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy likes this.
  2. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    AMD's naming scheme is getting really confusing.

Btw. It would be nice if they squeezed in a couple more Vega CUs in there. More efficient process should allow that, power-wise.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I suppose AMD is happy with an iGPU as long as it's more powerful than Intel's iGPU. Otherwise AMD would likely wish for customers to rather buy a separate video card since they make the GPUs for those as well. If an APU iGPU was too powerful, it would remove the market for the likes of Radeon 560 almost entirely.

4. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    If the above is true then the new Ryzen 5 3400G and Ryzen 3 3200G ain't much of diff the older one, Where the info the
    Ryzen 3 3300G 6 / 12 Navi (15 CU)
    Ryzen 5 3600G 8 / 16 Navi (20 CU)

Last edited: May 17, 2019

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This is not the true zen2 core.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    If I'm reading the news correctly it's basically zen+.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Zen+ with a higher clocks is also what i thought.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    APUs need 7nm + AM5 socket for faster memory. 2400G was OKish for 1080p gaming on decent details in most cases, but modern games mostly run around 50~80fps on average with reasonable sacrifices.
    Then there were cases where even lowest details could not deliver anywhere near 60fps and 720p is not comfortable option either due to too low IQ.

But 20CUs on GPU and faster memory is another story. Anyone remembers that Subor Z+ with 24CUs on GPU? That was enough to play modern games well on 1080p with quite good details.
    (Btw. they are out of business or something now.)

Loophole35 likes this.
  9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    On a side note, I'm surprised we aren't getting AM5 with Zen2 considering the Chipset die being on the CPU itself.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I bought reasonably expensive board and memories, but would not be mad if I went to buy new board/memories for Zen2 as long as there would be nice benefit.
    on other hand AMD promised AM4 support/compatibility till 2020. We are going to have Zen2+ on this socket next year. And this broken promise would blow strong wind into intel's sails as they are taking flak for new CPU=New board strategy they used for very long time.
    AMD keeping this promise really works as free ammunition shot by general PC crowd at intel. Even while intel may have changed that strategy, there will be that uncertainty and mistrust.

Loophole35 likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not necessarily. Current APUs are already starving for memory bandwidth. Until AMD either cranks up the cache or implements a way to compress data to help reduce bandwidth saturation, they can't really make the APUs more powerful without diminishing returns. IMO, the 2200G (or 3200G) is the best APU to get since it offers decent performance and isn't quite as crippled by memory bandwidth.

Meanwhile, they could try to deliberately make something as powerful as the 560 for the sake of Crossfire. That would actually help increase sales, since it offers nearly double performance while using physically small, cheap, and low-power hardware. Of course, they can't really Crossfire with the literal 560, since the architectures are too different. But, if for example AMD released a discrete Vega 11 GPU with DDR4 memory, it wouldn't be a very impressive GPU but you also wouldn't have to make any sacrifices. Price it cheap enough and it'd greatly appeal to tight-budget gamers who can do incremental upgrades.
    They could also release a "Vega 22" which basically just doubles up the resources while retaining the same clock speeds, as though you did "Tri-fire".

As Fox2232 said, what APUs really need is DDR5 (AM5).

Yeah, it seems to be a "Zen++", since it's basically Zen+ with a die shrink.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah I get that side of things but I've never been that upset over the new CPU new MOBO thing before. I don't want a situation where you are using a 8 year old chipset with a new CPU like we were getting in the latter half of AM3/+.

This is a die shrunk Raven Ridge from 14nm to 12nm.

Undying and Fox2232 like this.
  13. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This will be the same as the 1600-2600 or the 1700-2700 couple hundred mhz extra but the power consumption will most likely be slightly higher as well. As for GPU size at this time AMD probably figures it isn't worth adding more GPU power till more bandwidth is available.

14. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    That would be counter productive then since zen 2 has better memory support lol

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This is just zen to zen+ this is not zen 2 this will be the same increase we saw from the 1x00 to the 2x00 series is what i was saying no where does it say the APU's are going to be zen 2 or 7nm, It may have slightly better ram support but again its the same as going from any 1x00 series to 2x00 series cpu.