Audeze releases a $899 gaming headset in the high-end LCD series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2019.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're putting way too much emphasis on something that ultimately isn't as important as you think it is.

That's the same THD as the LCD-2 and I can honestly say that the LCD-2's are amongst the best headphones I've listened to, given they sit in your quoted $800-1000 price range I'd take them over the likes of the Sennheiser HD800 (and I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser) and many other options in that range.

Honestly spec wise these are remarkably similar to the LCD-2's and are funnily enough less expensive, I'd be very interested in how the two compared in a side by side test.

Edit: Seems the LCD2 Classic is less expensive.

Why the automatic assumption that the people buying this will be connecting it to cheap/poor equipment? Not everyone sticks with onboard solutions, there's a wealth of extremely good external DAC and AMP combos out there. Regardless, the DAC segment of the audio chain is one that's often heavily over rated by many. Most modern motherboards with ALC1150 or higher have perfectly functional DAC's, in fact a bunch are sporting 32 bit Sabre solutions which are often used as selling points in higher end gear.

The AMP section of the chain is generally the most important, and is where most motherboards are still lagging behind. Although in fairness it's hard to find a one for all headphone AMP and people buying higher end headphones are liable to opt for an external unit anyway.

As for 'digital samples', digital isn't necessarily bad as a storage medium. The problem tends to come from how it's managed, this is mainly a problem in music recordings (the loudness war is a good read for anyone interested) for various reasons. There's an infamous case regarding Metallica and their Death Magnetic album, the studio album actually sounded worse than the version on Guitar Hero (the game).

http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better.html

When properly utilised digital is absolutely fine.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    bballfreak6 and Noisiv like this.
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Agreed - I think the LCD2s are just straight up better than stock HD800 - if you do the mods or own the HD800S version I'd say it's about tied - depending sound signature preference. The original HD800 low end is pathetic.

I demoed LCDXs and LCD4s - they blew me away. I'd totally pick up LCDXs if I wasn't going to drop $4K on KEF R7s. As I get older I'm starting to prefer speakers.

Darkest likes this.
  3. Bendy52

Bendy52 Guest

1000 usd and no DAC with it ? wtf is this ? Steelseries has the Arctis pro with a good DAC and the headset has 10-40k Freq range and its like 250 usd nowdays. can play HI Res audio with the DAC. this thing is not interesting at all.

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I spent some time with the LCD2's and a WA7 and it's one of the best audio experiences I've ever had. As much as I'd love to get my hands on the LCDX or 4's I just cannot imagine how they'd be that much better at double the price or more.

I'm in the same boat in regard to speakers, unfortunately I'm stuck with headphones for any serious listening due to being in an apartment. I have a functional speaker setup for when friends come over, but I don't think the neighbours would be overly pleased if I made a habit of using it.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole and someone elses money.

fry178 likes this.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This thing is awesome but also very , very expensive ! I will keep hammering my Corsair HS50 ...

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No one buying $900 headphones wants a DAC with it. They'll spend another $500 on the DAC.

It's not - there are definitely diminishing returns to the point where you're basically buying the sound signature moreso than any audible improvement.

fry178 and mackintosh like this.
  7. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What has the frequency response got to do with anything? Also I think anyone spending near a grand on a pair of headphones would have a suitable DAC already, unless it's their first dip in the water of all things headphones/headset. You would need one with a microphone input too, which most don't have, not the real expensive ones anyway.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

I die a little every time you throw a number just like that..The problematic is extremely complicated. Even some highly reputable sources are not above stumbling.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-be-considered-as-sinad.6570/#post-147312

Darkest and theoneofgod like this.
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Noisiv likes this.
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Take my advice folks, buy a Sennheiser HD6XX (pretty much HD650s) from Massdrop for $200 USD and be happy with it. Anything that's obviously better to most people is going to cost a left nut.

Just keep in mind it has 300 Ohms impedance. I'm powering mine with my Sound Blaster ZxR I bought during the Mesozoic era. Also keep in mind that if you're in Canada you'll be mugged by the government; expect that $200 to become $300.

mackintosh likes this.

11. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Tried the Audeze LCD4 at a shop once, super comfortable and sounds orgasmic.

Would love to own a pair one day to compliment my Alessandro MS-Pro (while definitely not at the same level technically as the LCD4 I still think sounds more "fun") but could never justify the cost.

Curious to hear what this gaming one sounds like as the power requirement seems so much lower and planar magnetic drivers from what I've seen tends to be so power hungry.

Neo how do you find the ZxR running the HD650? I have the ZxR too but have heard while it rates up to 600 Ohms it just doesn't do that great with the power hungry cans.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What do you mean it doesn't do great? What's the impedance on what you tried? If you're using a pair that requires over 300 Ohms there is a manual setting for 600 Ohm mode in the Sound Blaster control panel. Prior to the HD6XX my most used PC headphones were 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT 990s. I've had absolutely zero issues driving either. When plugged directly to the ZxR the HD6XX (and DT 990s) get so loud when at 35%+ volume that I'm pretty sure it would cause hearing damage even with short term use. And to be clear that's without any noticeable distortion. Completely clear sound at all frequencies.

With open pairs like the HD6XX there's basically zero bass by default, but with the ZxR's amp I can crank the bass to absolutely absurd amounts with no distortion.

bballfreak6 likes this.
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Have any part of that model deteriorated at all?

I've got the HD280 Pro and the original ear cushions deteriorated like crazy at about 2016, they were originally purchased in 2007.... managed to find replacement cushions, but was just wondering how the 650 has done in terms of deterioration of parts.

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    I personally never had a high impedance pair to try (I am listening to Ms-Pro haha) but just what I remember reading somewhere. Good to know it has so much power though if I do eventually get something else that's power hungry won't have to worry about amp.

15. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I did replace the cushions twice, on my third pair now. They do hold up quite well, but do accumulate dirt and grime over the years. Fortunately replacement parts aren't hard to find, and they're not particularly expensive (my last replacement pair cost 20 EUR). Same with the cable, replaced twice, it usually gives out after 5 years. The headphones themselves however are still performing as well as they did when I got them.

KissSh0t likes this.

16. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    IThe HD800 blows the LCD2 away when it comes to not only soundstage and transparency, but it's ergonomics are in a while different category from those 'head in a vise' LCD2's. Yes, the LCD2 has more slam down at low frequencies, but that has much more to do with them improperly reproducing those frequencies (see: Coloring the music) than it is accuracy. You find the same thing with the HD650's.

Another thing to note is those LCD2's aren't going to have much "slam" down low without an amp with TONS of power. And that brings the cost of them way up. Top that off with how much a chiropractor will cost since the LCD2 weights in at about 600g (320g for the HD800).

fry178 likes this.
  17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    anyone complaining about me lookig at numbers:
    if i dont know a brand/product, thats what i use to compare.
    so seeing something that is "expensive" while getting "less" than what i've seen other companies doing, i have to assume its not as good.
    not talking about sound profile etc, as thats a personal preference, "specs" arent.
    as i know lots of higher end/more expensive brands from talking to customers (25k audio room etc), and never had anyone naming this brand, made me wonder and looking at the specs was surprised about the high tdh (which lots of other brand have multiple times less on cheaper units).
    not saying this automatically means less SQ, but i would rather buy the HE1 (unseen) than anything else (if i had the cash lol).

18. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The THD's are rated differently. You need to compare directly or it's pointless. It's like comparing an amplifiers output with a cheaper one being rated 8ohm 1kHz 10% THD with a more expensive one being rated 8ohm 20Hz-20kHz 0.1% THD and saying the cheaper one is better because it's wpc is higher.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    thought they were both measured at 1Khz?

20. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No idea how they're rated exactly if they don't tell us.

Last edited: May 21, 2019