WoW Classic official announcement!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Solfaur, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

To my incredible surprise, Blizzard finally caved and announced working on some legacy WoW option. I would be a liar if I said that this doesn't excite me, even though I've hated what Blizzard has done to WoW so much that I stopped following them completely for over 7 years now. However, I will hold out until I see what they actually bring to the table, if it's Nostalrius vanilla like or some modified version... we'll see.

Vanilla WoW for me was a masterpiece, despite all its flaws, I've played an enjoyed the hell out of it back in the day (and I had the same fun on private servers like Nostalrius again, after 10 years, so it's definitely no just rose tinned glasses). IF Blizzard will manage to recreate that atmosphere, I will gladly give them my money, but again, I will not make the mistake to get too hyped before I see how it will look like.

What about you guys? :rolleyes:

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I love the WOW game,but not sure if I can handle it anymore.I was hooked for years .Now as far as Vanilla WOW goes not sure if I could level another Character to 60 within the same area as Vanilla ,but if they came up with a new area to level which I am sure they would I might give it a spin again.Must go look into what they are saying .

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I quit WoW in August this after being subbed since February 2006.

I will probably start again with the new expansion, but take it EXTREMELY slow.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I think it's a great thing. Purely because the old world isn't available anymore by legal means.
    And it makes the private server community happy, and they are not a small community judging by the numbers Nostalrius got(around 1mill unique accounts).

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    As long as i don't need to pay another 12,99 to play it.
    I don't mind if they charge extra over a original sub like 14,99, then i'll definitely play it.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Might be a separate sub as it's a different MMO basicly, with it's own development team.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Indeed, I would gladly pay a monthly sub (I still have my boxes of prepaid cards and the boxes of my two vanilla WoW accounts :D), I just hope they won't FORCE me to pay for the current WoW as well as I want to have as little interaction with it as possible.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Should be treated as a new MMO with it's own Sub and Boxed Price.

The crybabies got what they wanted, so they should pay for it.

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hey I'm no crybaby, I just found the game to be utter crap after WOTLK and stopped playing it. I really enjoy the vanilla version of the game but got sick and tired of shady private servers. This could be a win-win for everyone. And yes, I'd pay for it too, I don't want the sub to be a bundle with the current "retail wow", I don't want to have anything to do with it.

cerebus23, Darkest and signex like this.
  10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Crybabies eh?
    If anything I think it should be a small premium on top of retail subscription. That's the best way to drive new and old players into both games.

signex likes this.

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I feel like this contributes nothing to the thread and only actually serves as flamebait.

OT: Its great they listened, now i'm watching how its gonna fold out. Surprised they didn't go for this cashcow earlier, just look at Oldschool Runescape. It has surpassed Runescape in player numbers and gross cash income from subs.

Solfaur likes this.
  12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Solfaur likes this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm honestly not sure if I can bring myself to level in WoW vanilla style ever again.

Probably not though. Back in the day, it took long, there was never enough quests and it was very slow. But at least every zone was new to us and I remember how mysterious it all felt. But now? No thanks. Seen those zones in over and over too many times, it'll feel stale.

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Wohoo! I know I should be way more conservative with expectations, considering Activistion Blizzard's recent track record, I won't lie and admit this announcement puts a BIG smile on my face and gets my blood pumping! :eek:

Vanilla WoW (+TBC) was, is and probably will be my most played, most loved and most addicted to game ever. So yeah, August 27th can't come soon enough. Even if their take on "vanilla" will "not be the same" (and it won't), I'll still give it a good try. I said the same thing with private servers, meh it's not the same, meh this, meh that, I almost got to 60 with one character without even realizing it. The game is still VERY good, VERY addictive, now I have my doubts that I'll go no-life on it as I did in my teens, but hey, never say never. Once an addict, always an addict or how was the saying.

I'll do the unthinkable and re-sub probably around July, just to check out my mains that have been in slumber for almost 10 years! I did check my bank characters and low levels with the "free2play" version and it almost brought a tear to my eye. But when I get access to my mage specifically, I'm calling it, the nostalgia will crit me over 9000 and I'll cry like a little bitch. :rolleyes:

PS - I just went to my account (damn it's all changed so much!) settings, and found the Betas settings page, make sure you guys tick the WoW Classic box to be eligible! I'm really curious if I'll get selected without and active sub. Last time and actually the only time I got a WoW closed beta access invite was in 2008 for WOTLK...

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Same here, heck i'm not even playing current anymore.

I played the Classic Demo for like 10 minutes, and was like: "Nope... been there, done that.".

Been subbed non-stop from February 2006 untill February 2017, after that on and off. Last time i played was December 2018.

The main reason for me not playing anymore is the subscribsion, it makes me feel forced to play nowadays.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    And there's nothing to "play" in BfA, the content is horrendous.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The game was very hit and miss starting with the latter half of Wrath.

I actually liked a lot of Cataclysm, but Deathwing was handled poorly and the Dragon Soul raid was a huge disappointment. The dungeons and tier 1 raid content was great though, and Firelands was decent albeit dragged out for way longer than it should have been.

Mists of Panderia is the first expansion I ever skipped, I did buy it and I attempted to level up but I never made it out of the first zone. The entire theme of the expansion was uninteresting to me, I didn't return to the game until a few weeks before the launch of Legion. Warlords wasn't great, the amount of content available for the lifespan of the expansion was abysmal and frankly the only reason I played any of it was to have characters ready to go into Legion with.

I returned for Legion because I wanted closure on what I felt was the last major storyline. I actually really liked most of it despite it having some glaring issues (which still exist and in some cases did prior to Legion). I quit prior to the final raid tier as I was feeling burned out and somewhat tired of my performance being drastically effected by things outside of my control. I played a Fury War from launch and cleared every raid in at least HC (including some Mythic) and I never received a DPS based legendary. Then there was the titanforging on items, coupled with the ridiculous power trinket combos that were a necessity (Convergence of Fates + Draught of Souls for example) in some tiers if you wanted to compete. For the first two raids of Legion I was performing in the top 5-10% of players with a similar ilevel and spec according to World of Logs, that dropped by a good 10% during The Nighthold because I simply wasn't getting the very specific drops I needed. I'll openly admit to being a DPS whore in WoW (not a dickish one, I just enjoy friendly competition as long as it isn't at the expense of the raid), it's something I very much enjoy but I'd prefer a more balanced playing field instead of weeks of frustration over loot.

Battle for Azeroth doesn't interest me at all, the more I hear about it the more I'm put off. All the old issues I had with the game are there and then some, and the entire theme and story of the expansion is trash in my eyes. There's always been Horde and Alliance tension, it's the overarching theme of Warcraft. We didn't need an entire expansion built around it, and we didn't need the poorly written directions some of the characters went in.

I've played a few private servers but they're very hit and miss, I'm definitely interested in Classic but I'll have to wait and see how things go.

Solfaur likes this.
  18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    That's some bad luck, the only beta I didn't get invited to was MoP.
    But it says you need an active subscription to get picked for Classic beta. The beta isn't a big deal for me anyway, the only thing I ever test on them are new abilities and this beta won't have any ;)

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    eh the popularity of the hacked servers they not blind, nor that the old guard hates the new wow. and wow in general is on a decline.

yea if anything a retro wow official will help those numbers some. vs another expansion that will peak numbers for a few weeks then back to sputtering along.

and they surely had all those old code branches laying around, some updates in the gfx area and boom done.

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    It's a lot more involved than that. They're basically removing stuff from the modern client until they're left with vanilla.

Solfaur likes this.