NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    @MrBonk I sadly cannot do downsampling with my rig,how can I use 1x2 mode though? Or OGSSAA for that matter?

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In Profile Inspector in the anti aliasing field instead of putting "4x-Multisampling" select the option that says "1x2 Supersampling" or 2x1
    It should look decent from what I remember and require less performance than SGSSAA

Tizoc789 likes this.
  3. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Thank you I will try that :D

4. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Does anyone have anything for No Man's Sky? Recently found out it uses OpenGL. Tried 0x0000F0C1 but got nothing, though I thinks that's due to the excessive amount of post processing the game applies.

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah those bits don't actually do anything for OGL. Only DX8/9. AA can be forced in older versions of OGL. But not newer ones.

6. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Wow that really sucks. NMS was never really the most action packed game, but it did always have nice visuals. I was hoping I could enhance them more but oh well.

That does remind me though, has anyone ever got SGSSAA working on Halo 2 PC?

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    IIRC you can enhance that game's AA. I recall even just TrSSAA looked pretty good. It will be a shame when MCC comes out and none of the games will probably support MSAA.

8. PoeticSanity

PoeticSanity Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIAGTX 1080 8 GB
    Any idea how to improve aliasing in Rising Storm 2 Vietnam? Downsampling is a bit taxing, and the game can't really alt-tab in Fullscreen, and Reshade's SMAA isn't much help. Also tried tinkering with Nvidia Inspector, but can't find any working methods.

9. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    You're right you can enhance, can't tell if I set sgssaa up correctly as I don't usually use enhance.
    Sorry pal, no MS or SSAA in DX11 game. I have read you can hack it into the game by adjusting MaxMultisamples= in the engine.ini file but also read they broke it in a later patch. Don't own Vietnam so don't really know.

10. PoeticSanity

PoeticSanity Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIAGTX 1080 8 GB
    Yeah, I did try that actually. The game shows a popup saying 'MSAA is not supported' then the game closes itself on launch until I change it back.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You just set it up as if you were forcing but instead of setting "override application setting" change it to "enhance application setting" and enable 4xMSAA in game.

12. PoeticSanity

PoeticSanity Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIAGTX 1080 8 GB
    Just tried it, still nothing. Do I need to add DX11 compatibility bits? I honestly don't know of any that might work.

13. Anontsuki

Anontsuki Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 MSI Gaming
    Hey, MrBonk, just made an account to reply to this. I see a lot of people always saying use 0% smoothing for the sharpest output, and honestly, after playing a bit of Dark Soul II Scholar of the First Sin, with 0% smoothing, it's just so sharp. Sure, geometry doesn't have much aliasing, but everything else still had shimmer and really ugly things, especially the tall grasses.

Do you have a general recommendation for the smoothness level, specifically for 4x DSR 4k to 1080? (I also use ReShade for some things, but figure using the smoothing from DSR would probably be better than FXAA and I can't get SMAA depth to work =(.

14. PoeticSanity

PoeticSanity Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIAGTX 1080 8 GB
    I'm not Bonk, but I'd suggest around 10-20% smoothness. Less than 20 is probably more ideal with the higher resolutions, after some personal tweaking with it.

15. Anontsuki

Anontsuki Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 MSI Gaming

Thanks, PoeticSanity. (Cool name)

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No in this case you would not. I haven't played H2Vista in years though. So my memory may be wrong.
    Are you trying to just use Transparency Supersampling or the SGSSAA option? Try with both.

Less than 20% smoothness is when the filter starts to break but not super noticeably (especially with higher ratios. If you use greater than a 4x ratio then higher values are necessary).

0% breaks the filter function.But they allow you to use it that way if you want.
    I would still use FXAA if you are downsampling beyond 2x as there an almost invisible hit to image sharpness once resolve occurs. And if FXAA is really aggressive in a specific game you can easily recover most of that through sharpening.

ReShade offers a ton of different ways to sharpen the image. If that's important to you but don't want to use 0% smoothness. Use between 10-20% (Ideally closer to 20) but then use ReShade to add sharpening to the image. (Which will benefit from the downsampling and limit adding artifacts back into the image)

Smoothness value isn't actually actually doing AA specifically. It just adjusts the Gassuian function used for the resolve filter when downsampling occurs. Compared to the fixed box or linear function that was used previously before DSR with custom resolutions. Which was poor quality and added aliasing into the image.
    I'll make a comparison in a bit.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  17. Tizoc789

Tizoc789 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970M
    Hi there, just checking but for Mirror's Edge, the AA bits are
    0x000100C5

Should I make sure the ingame AA option is at 4 if I am setting it to SSGSS x4 in Inspector too?
    If so should I enhance or override? I am playing the GOG version and I notice a little Aliasing in some parts.

18. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I've always used 0% for exactly 4x DSR. Anything less, and the filter has a purpose in smoothing out the less-than-ideal approximation that occurs when trying to downsample to an image size that isn't easily divisible. But if you can do 4x, I don't know why you'd ever set Smoothness above 0%.

However, I've not done (or seen) an image comparison (of say 0% vs 20%) so happy to be convinced otherwise.

19. PoeticSanity

PoeticSanity Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIAGTX 1080 8 GB
    Not sure what H2Vista is, but I've tried both settings in the game, from x2 to x8 and still no change at all.

20. Anontsuki

Anontsuki Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 MSI Gaming
    This will probably require some work, so I appreciate you doing this.

I like to use Lumasharpen customized to be really faint so it appears natural, is that an okay sharpener to use?