The Evil Within 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Continuing it from the RAGE 2 thread...

Yes, performance in Evil Within 2 is an issue. Though, I can hold a rock solid 60fps and I'm more then good with that.
    Using Vulkan in TEW3 (if it ever happens) could alleviate some of the performance hiccups, but, I also loved the first game before Tango fixed the performance problems in that.

The TEW2... it's the refinement to the gameplay and story telling.
    Combat feels smoother, more complete. And the more "hub" style of world design has always really worked for me. From the Hexen games, Wolf 2009 and RAGE... I love Hub world designs.
    And, that's basically how TEW2 handles it's levels. It's semi-open world... but... more room and freedom then the first game, but still that same twisted world design.

Plus, character work, voice acting, dialog... it's all much better in the second game.
    It just feels like a solid, natural evolution of the first one. They fumbled the performance side of things, but they delivered (in my eyes) in terms of really smoothing off the rough edges in terms of gameplay and story design.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I mostly agree with you and i cant judge it before i finish the game (8 chapter) but i have to admit i like the linear nature of the first game. It feels more gory, amazing horror atmosphere and fear especially the dlc with kidman.

I cant even hold 60fps in the second one unfortunately.

Thanks for the reply but i didnt get one thing and thats the reason why i asked. Why are you not looking forward to the next instalment? It seems you like the series so far.

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I am.
    When I said "I wouldn't care" I meant that it doesn't matter to me if it's Vulkan, DX or OpenGL... I don't care what API they use, if they announce an Evil Within 3... I will buy that game in a heartbeat. :)

Undying likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Oh i missunderstood you then i though you dont care about the game, hehe. Its all good. :p

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah this open world stuff is a bit of a fail, I saw some reviews saying the same,it's killing the tension in that city area, I felt the same.. I stopped playing there in the city. Got boring running around, e.g. just another open world game go here do that, bla bla.

Performance is also strange, some obvious dx11 api bottlenecks, and again by this open world part.. 75-90 cap in that area, funny thing rasing DSR didnt help by min fps, it lowered them further xD

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's not really open world though.
    You get two main areas that you can explore. They can lead you to main missions, and allow you to wonder around and find side stuff. They act more like Hub areas instead of an open world.
    Similar to RAGE's two wastelands.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Game does not perform great on my system. GPU usage is jumping all over the place, its really unstable. 40-60fps maxed out with some stuttering also quite often.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    From what I've seen/remember, the game does not perform very well on AMD hardware.
    It does seem to run better on Nvidia. It's an odd one, considering it's DX.

On my 970 I was always adjusting settings, trying various things. But, regardless of settings... it always seemed to run the same.
    Once I upgraded to my 1070, I can hit and hold a solid 60fps with no issues.