MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Thibault

Thibault Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 MSI Armor
    Hello everyone, I currently have an issue with sync scanline, I use it for a few days now and I tried different settings. I play mostly CS: GO on a XL2420T lightboost 10% with 1149 lines.
    Here are my settings (found on the internet) for the game to know that I play in 1280 * 960
    Limit = 121
    LimitDenominator = 1
    LimitTime = 0
    SyncDisplay = 0
    SyncFlush = 1
    SyncHotkeys = 1
    SyncScanline0 = -180
    SyncScanline1 = 0
    SyncTimeout = 2
    SyncPeriods = 0

These settings give me regular image tearing. What values should I change to have a smooth game with sync timeout = 2? Thanks for enlightening me, have a nice day

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

By setting sync timeout to 2 you set timeout to _half_ of refresh period. You're absolutely supposed to see a tearline in this case. And please, no need to use this thread for additional scanline sync configuration help requests.

3. Unwinder

I'm happy to report that Drerex almost finished his work on Steampunked skin for MSI AB, so we'll present it to you really soon. In this new skin Chris tried to experiment with some background animations, so we'll also need to update MSI AB skin engine to provide optimal performance with animated skin. Also we realize that background animation may me disturbing for eyes of some users, so we'll add config switch for disabling it. There will be no other tweaks in new AB beta, all changes are related to new skin.

Stay tuned!

knuckles84, The1, toyo and 3 others like this.
  4. OleMortenF

OleMortenF Member

GPU:
    980 SC 4GB
    Awesome :D Any sneak peek? :D

5. Unwinder

[​IMG]

bigcid1, jura11, AsiJu and 6 others like this.
  6. OleMortenF

OleMortenF Member

GPU:
    980 SC 4GB
    Looks amazing :D

7. Unwinder

Nope, I don’t think so.

8. OleMortenF

OleMortenF Member

GPU:
    980 SC 4GB
    I agree, it looks great as it is :)

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ooh, that's very neat! Thank you!

10. Unwinder

4.6.2 beta 1 with new Steampunked skin by Drerex is around the corner, we'll make it available for download shortly:

Stay tuned!

jura11, toyo and Andy_K like this.

11. Unwinder

Please keep in mind the following things when using new Steampunked skin:

4.6.2 is optimized to improve performance of background animation rendering of new Steampunked skin, however skin animation can still be rather performance hungry on old slow CPUs. So keep your eyes on CPU usage when using this skin, and if it is too high for you, you may try to do the following things to reduce it:

- Set skin composition mode to "layered with colorkey" (the fastest one) if you were using "layered with alpha" mode. Layered skin composition mode with alpha channel is the slowest one and the most CPU hungry due to using per-pixel transparency
    - Reduce skin scaling factor in UI properties of MSI AB, higher skin scaling values cause higher CPU load
    - Disable animation completely, currently there is no dedicated option for it in GUI, however you can do it via editing the config and setting EnableAnimatedIndicators to 0

toyo likes this.
  12. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Curious about one thing, would it affect the CPU when minimized in the systray? Or this is just a thing for when the app is not hidden?

13. Unwinder

Nope, when MSI AB is minimized to system tray and main window is invisible nothing is being rendered by skin engine so no CPU time is consumed by skin animation. So it applies to visible MSI AB window only. Also when MSI AB is minimized to system tray, skin renderer is completely swapping all cached skin images to file system (you may notice mainwnd.dibcache in AB folder when it is minimized to system tray, that's it) so in addition to reduced CPU usage it also reduces memory usage in minimized state drastically.

toyo likes this.
  14. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Thanks for the explanation. Got home and tested it, and the CPU usage with the window active is very, very small, typically below 1% on a 8700K that idles around 800MHz.

[​IMG]

15. Unwinder

Yep, it is pretty minor for modern CPUs but I still decided to warn users, because it is higher than it was with other skins anyway.

toyo likes this.

16. Unwinder

OleMortenF likes this.
  17. Dude1070

Dude1070 Member

GPU:
    RX 6950 XT
    Working great and really like @Drerex skin work, been a fan of his for years.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    just played RAGE 2 and noticed RTSS osd doesn't work , any tips ?!

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    API wise the game uses Vulkan though that's about the only advice I can give directly but I'd try the compatibility settings for that first, maybe also try windowed and borderless modes and restarting the game once or twice to see if that hooks.
    From that to trying the 2D and 3D OSD compatibility options (NVIDIA GPU so AMD's little performance problem with 2D shouldn't be a issue here.) other than possibly being one of the first projects on VLK 1.1 instead of 1.0 SDK it should be workable with some tweaking and ensuring no other hooks are applied such as Steam (Rename the overlay .dll for 64-bit to get it out entirely as a test.), GeForce Experience and such.

You can use these overlays too but to begin with I'd minimize it to where it's RTSS and only RTSS ensure that works and then start adding in Steam, GFE and what else. :)
    Minimize possible compatibility issues and build from that.

EDIT: I'd throw out the Steam overlay first if nothing else in RTSS or the window modes do it (Don't merely disable it in the client, it hides it but still injects. Thus rename the .DLL to get it out entirely.) and if that helps and then maybe try a delayed injection to see how that goes. (The overlay is used for various things so it's not merely screen captures or recording or achievement notifications so you probably don't want it entirely removed if that can be resolved.)

EDIT: And probably only hooking VLK and having the hooks for D3D off as well from RTSS so there's no problems with D3D being initialized and then here's VLK but it tries going through D3D so that's why you would disable those hooks when you know what API the game is using for the RTSS profile for RAGE2 here. :)

Explanation being a bit of a mess but minimizing potential conflicts and problems by hooking the API it's using but none of the others and if needed also try reducing or removing other hooks from for example overlays such as the Steam client itself, drivers and what else there might be and then there's a plethora of different RTSS settings and compatibility options for tuning it to hopefully be compatible while keeping everything active and loaded without any crashes or problems.

Nothing really new, just a bit of trial and error and testing to what works and going from that.

EDIT: And with a lot of compatibility options yeah it can take a while to work out the proper way to set it all up there's just a ton of variables and conditions and seeing what works and when it breaks and getting it all in order.

It might even have hooked properly but it's just not showing the OSD but related functionality could still work.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  20. Unwinder

Create a profile for it and set application detection level to high there.

didamangi, Per.r, geronimo666 and 7 others like this.