Rumor: AMD allegedly to release seven NAVI GPUs but faces efficiency issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 6, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Those are bad bad news if they are true.

Strange Times likes this.
  3. DinJerr McGraw

DinJerr McGraw Guest

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2060
    Those naming convention smack of someone with an inferiority complex.

4. Jedidude75

Jedidude75 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    These seem pretty good tbh. If they are true that is...

BReal85 likes this.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Better this instead of Over-Hype :p
    Navi will be priced good & will have solid performance IMhO.

Note:
    Don't believe in +25% Radeon VII hype ;)
    Resonable is to hope that will be ~Vega 56/64 at 150-175tW with price tag of max to 249€
    If so, it will be great success for ATI/AMD Team.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    jura11, BReal85 and Venix like this.
  6. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    I wasn't aiming for a Navi 20 card, but I find it hard to believe that the heat and efficiency issues only affect the top tier cards.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vega cards aren't cool or efficient either. Which raises the question: Is it worth buying a Navi card, or just wait for the next (non-GCN) architecture?
    I'm a little bit disappointed, but let's wait and see. If Navi 10 can deliver RTX 2070 performance at less than 200W for ~400€, I'll buy one.

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Agreed 101% on that one !

honestly .... i was not expecting navi to ever release anything on vegaVII level i thought this market (meaning v.high end ) was now for the next thing after navi .

Evildead666 and OnnA like this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wasn't the estimate somewhere around Vega 56 - 64 and VII still as the top performer until whatever larger GPU AMD unveils which could or could not be big Navi or possibly something else for next year.
    Efficiency and other improvements could still make a difference though, 285 on Tonga over the earlier architecture or how the 580 started closing in on the Fury GPU's though the 4 GB VRAM was also a bit of a limit for that.

Will be interesting to hear more about these and especially see reviews and such, performance, power draw and that (ALL the power again AMD or maybe less voltage? Ha ha. Well it does help overclocks and undervolting I suppose.) and more. :D

EDIT: Hmm well they could make a 3090 water-block variant too I suppose but we'll see.
    And even if they don't enthusiasts and third party kits will do it. Will be interesting to see how big of a difference that could make then.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This year is breaking or making for radeon group. To be honest after all these delays, bad rumors and lack of information i think they are hiding something.

Well, i'll go RTX if they frack up, im tired of them trying to catch up.

jura11 likes this.
  10. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    I don't believe the performance figures at all. Even AMD's own roadmap claims that "next-gen" is when we'll see efficiency improvements. I bet the TDP numbers are right, but I don't think the best Navi part will be any faster than a Vega 64.

schmidtbag likes this.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    When some rumours started saying Navi is still GCN, I began lowering my expectations. AMD has already squeezed everything out of GCN, so if Navi indeed still belongs to that generation, it won't surprise anyone.

jura11 and Mesab67 like this.
  12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    in the same argument fit the 2080 and everything bellow ^^

BReal85 likes this.
  13. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    What is "bad bad news"? Just curious. Getting an RTX 2080 performance for $500? Or a Vega 56 performance for $200?

tunejunky and Mesab67 like this.
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Only a 10% increase over the Radeon VII? Isn´t that kinda of low... I was expecting 20 0r 30% at least...

15. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    The RX580 performance 75W TDP part alone would be enough to absolutely shake up market pricing, which is ultimately all I am hoping for.

Yakk and BReal85 like this.

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    +10W TDP, 1-2% faster than a 2080 and -$300 price. If you say you wouldn't want a card like that, that's your problem.

Says the one who bought a card for $1100-1200 that has +30% performance compared to its predecessor. LOL.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So, they'll concentrate on releasing cheap cards in the low and mid-segment and let nVidia have the cards that perform the best? That's one strategy I guess.

BReal85 likes this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup, im waiting for Arcturus HBM3 :D (Yes it will have it, i know from my source)

Venix likes this.
  19. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    They did the same in the mid segment since GCN (higher segment wasn't true for Fury and Vega). So this isn't a new strategy. If the numbers are correct, they return to the same pave for the higher tier, with $500 RTX 2080 performance and $330 RTX 2070 performance.

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    that those cards did not "allegedly" hit their tdp targets and as result they have to have lower frequencies so as a result they are not as efficient and as fast as they could have been , i did not say they can not come out and be good or even killer deals ^^ !

and i can not stress this enough my comments on that are IF those leaks are true